Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To answer the question..yes a 2.5 will be great for a turbo car. Ive been running one for 5 years. A 2.5 helps with midrange on turbo cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 03NorVa View Post
    how much boost are you running with you stock internals? im lookin to push 12-13psi. what turbo kit can do this with stock internals without too much risk of damage?

also, ive read the stick about who has what as far as tc and sc but the thing is i have no idea what theyre talkin about lol.

Edit: i know the saying, chose 2 of 3, cheap fast reliable. so i know theres always gonna be that risk of damage on stock internals, especially pushing higher boost, what i was asking is which turbo kits would reduce that risk the most, if the different kits even make a difference?
    1st off how much hp do you want? the PSI doesint matter every turbo out there is different and will produce different power find out what you want for power 1st.
    2 this will detemine the best choice for which turbo kit youll want to buy.
    3 The a3's block and head are good to no more then 300hp on average, it likes to throw rods past the 300hp range *usually* thats the only issue the a3's have.
    Also no need to upgrade the stock fuel pump it can flow past 300hp easily,.. make sure you get 1 step coler sparkplugs, kpro and a tune from a local shop, and youll need injectors - 550's will do you plenty and the injectors should come with there kit, and a turbo fast return line, the one provided with both greddy's kit and revhards are crap and will leak oil.

Also since ive been turbo'd ive been running 10-30 synthetic oil.

Quote Originally Posted by makavelibranded View Post
    1st off how much hp do you want? the PSI doesint matter every turbo out there is different and will produce different power find out what you want for power 1st.
    2 this will detemine the best choice for which turbo kit youll want to buy.
    3 The a3's block and head are good to no more then 300hp on average, it likes to throw rods past the 300hp range *usually* thats the only issue the a3's have.
    Also no need to upgrade the stock fuel pump it can flow past 300hp easily,.. make sure you get 1 step coler sparkplugs, kpro and a tune from a local shop, and youll need injectors - 550's will do you plenty and the injectors should come with there kit, and a turbo fast return line, the one provided with both greddy's kit and revhards are crap and will leak oil.

Also since ive been turbo'd ive been running 10-30 synthetic oil.
    K20a3 are not the only k motors that you hear about with a rod problem. Some honda k motors have a factory default with the piston wrist pin clearance being to tight, therefore putting more stress on the rod, and over time (and especially under boost conditions, which accelerates the issue) breaks the rod. This is common on accord motors and crv's but you don't hear about as much due to those not being in a performance application or as sought after in stock form. Google k series rod breakage. Also I don't believe that a stock pump can flow enough for 300 horse power. If you google (again) how to choose injector sizes, you will see that 650 injectors are perfect for 300 wheel hp, not 550. A 3" exhaust for 300 hp is way overkill for the street, a 2.5 will do fine. I'm not trying to argue, just putting in my .02
    Last edited by sleepy ep3; 07-30-2010 at 09:21 PM.

I just got a 2.5" catback exhaust, and was wondering if that would suffice for a turbo, or would it be harmful to run on that small of a pipe. also, the only mods that have been made to the car are suspension and the cat-back exhaust so im still on stock internals. what mods would i HAVE to do before i could safely run a turbo. im on a pretty small budget right now so im gonna try to get the turbo in for the cheapest i can. any help is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance! :-D
    By the way if you are going to switch to forced induction, take your time ,do it right. Turboing your car correctly is expensive, and it can be an ongoing process as more things are needed, (tires, clutch, injectors, less mpg) to support your setup and mods.

I knew about the accords being like that but i thought the crv's were able to take a good beating and laugh at it from what ive seen done to them.

Idk my 550's when I was running 10psi with the t3 were about 60-70% duty cycle if I remember right.

... and ephatch needs more covos like this since the last blackout It needs rebuilding I just wish all the oldschool people would come back.

Ok as far as how much hp i want, im hopin to get about 250-275 as of right now, maybe more down the road but that wont be till after i swap, if i even do it. would i be able to reach those numbers without puttin in much more than a turbo with a tune?

Easily since your looking into the future wanting a swap and more power look into the revhard kit, its your best bet.

Also forgot to tell you the stock map sensor wont read past 10psi so if you go higher then that youll need one of those too.

The formula for forced induction injectors is...First you have to find the boost pressure ratio. 14.7+boost pressure divided by 14.7. so you wanna run 12 psi, your boost pressure would eqaul 1.8pr.
    Next you need to know the CFM which is cubic inch dispacement X RPM X volumetric efficiancy X pressure ratio divided by 3456
    cubic inch displacement is liters X 61. So 122 X 7000 X .85 X 1.8 = 1306620 divided by 3456 = 378.
    Now you take those number to find injector lb/hr. 378(CFM) X .44298 = 167.4 divided by number of cylinders which comes out to 41.8 lb/hr injectors. To find cc injector size, multiply it by 10.5 which = 438.9 cc injectors at 100% duty cycle. For 80% duty cycle you would want 526's, but since they dont make 526's, 550's would work.
    I know this was just a long way of saying you need 550 injectors, but for others that want to calculate the correct injector size, this is the math to use.
    you can calculate NA engines using engine HP X BSFC(.5)= then you use # of injectors X duty cycle (.8 or 80%) and divide the HP X BSFC by the answer from the # of injectors X duty cycle.

holy shit..there ARE others like me!! you just made my day..my life revolves around those formulas

Quote Originally Posted by dobbs02si View Post
    holy shit..there ARE others like me!! you just made my day..my life revolves around those formulas
    Math is the only perfect tool that man has created...cant argue with that.

So true..and you cant argue the numbers either. I love using it on these ignorant rednecks around here that think a small block with a cam needs an 850cfm carb.

[QUOTE=dobbs02si;783027]So true..and you cant argue the numbers either. I love using it on these ignorant rednecks around here that think a small block with a cam needs an 850cfm carb.[/QUOTE

Yeah definitely, i used to think that way too till i went to school and learned the right way to build things. Theres a lot of people on here that could use a little schooling on certain things too.
    Last edited by nmrwr85; 08-02-2010 at 10:09 AM.

if your going to run 12 psi make sure you upgrade the map sensor! it can only read up to 10psi if i remember correctly. Also 2.5inch should be good. i went with the 78mm (3in) skunk2 megapower rr for the rsx-s and had it cut to fit my ep3. Has a nice deep ass sound to it and the flow is hella nice. If you got the guap(money) to get a good ass exhaust i would recommend that. You would just have to get it cut to fit.

what is a map sensor exactly? and how much do they cost? (round about) Thanks for all the tips guys, I would be so lost without it haha

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by playap07 View Post
    if your going to run 12 psi make sure you upgrade the map sensor! it can only read up to 10psi if i remember correctly. Also 2.5inch should be good. i went with the 78mm (3in) skunk2 megapower rr for the rsx-s and had it cut to fit my ep3. Has a nice deep ass sound to it and the flow is hella nice. If you got the guap(money) to get a good ass exhaust i would recommend that. You would just have to get it cut to fit.
    i love the niggradom lol

what is a map sensor exactly? and how much do they cost? (round about) Thanks for all the tips guys, I would be so lost without it haha
    hondata 4bar sensor is about 100 bux it and the map sensor reads "Manifold Absolute Pressure" .. simply put it montors the flow of air coming into the manifold

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information