Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10k HID's Street Legal????

wuts up EPHatch people... just had a question... i just recently bought some 8k HID's for my girls Altima to see how they look before i get some for my EP.. they look nice and all but i kinda wanted more blue int hem... so i want to get 10K but not sure if they are street legal... does anyone know? thanks

depends on location and area rules..but where i am.

anything that is not factory install option, is illegal. HID's esp becuase in a non projector/non hid capable housing the beam pattern scatters everywhere and blinds everyone else..including the squirells in the tree's above your car... reasearch HID retro fits and scatter shields and beam patterns.

google will be your friend and i believe their is a how to or DIY on how to do this..there was before the crash.

a guy name ocelaris (sp) was the retro fit/lightin god for a while..but that was back in 04.

i say get some tsx projectors and do a retro fit...it will be better long term
    be jealous :P

anything over 4k is illegal
    PSN: theehuggybear

http://www.ht-archive.com/showthread.php?t=1962268 go here for some retro fit.

but Shadow is in Cali too..
    be jealous :P

yeah i am in cali... LA to be exact... thanks for the tip guys i was going to get the 10k but ill get some lower maybe 8k they dont really trip on 8k cus there not that blue...

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...low+headlights

same thing applies to your situation
    PSN: theehuggybear

not legal, and ew.

Quote Originally Posted by EpThreeD View Post
    not legal, and ew.
    I agree i would never put anything over 5000k in my car. Most OEM hid kits range between 4000k-5000k. They also give out the best light output, anything higher then 5000k you start to lose lumins (sp) which is actual light that is used to light up the road. Also with 8000k or 10000k hid's good luck seeing in the rain or fog.

Cops arpund here are going nuts over hids. I had the bluest of blue and they wrote me 8 different tickets including hid lights, improper bulb color, using blue emergency lights without a permit, impersonating a police officer(insane i know), no seatbelt and all that led to driving without a license. Jus cuz i got pulled over with hids on!! At 2pm! Onlymif i kept them offf! That was an expensive one to get out of! Its not worth it.

Unless you have equipment like the Predators have to see in Ultraviolet.... it isn't recommend to go higher than 6000K.
    Most OEM applications stick between 4000-6000K range. It's between the human's eye spectrum sweet spot.

And I would also highly recommend do use HID projectors rather than keeping the US OEM housing or the DEPO/JDM/EDM Halogen Projector.
    your lighting will be scattered better, and you wont blind oncomming traffic, which will be dangerous for you.
    Last edited by Kerby; 08-06-2010 at 04:42 AM.

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    actually any hid kit not factory installed is illegal as far as i know. They just don't enforce it. But i guess certain states have their own interpretation. You don't wan't 10k for driving, Get 5000k or 4300k, Your eyes will thank you.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

++++ you'll look like every other ricer/truck that blinds me thinking they look cool. It really looks very cheap to me. A proper Hid setup with the proper equipment looks so clean and legit compared to the cheap blue bulbs/ hid kits. Plus you will lose light going that high like everyone else has said. why do people waste money to make their cars look worse?

Don't think too hard 2004ep3hatch's Avatar
    Yes and I'll say it for the 1000th time LOL, don't buy RHD JDM projectors unless you are retrofitting LHD shields in.
    Supercharged K24 Frank powered
    PM a Moderator for assistance anytime

are they street legal? ofcourse not

will you get bothered by the police? not likely

i live in wa and on my last car i ran 8k's until i got hit by a drunk driver

now i run 6k's which when warmed up look white with a slight pink in some angles( not sure why )

i never get bothered by police for my hid's, down the road i wanna do a retrofit with some 4300k's :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ep3colin View Post
    are they street legal? ofcourse not

will you get bothered by the police? not likely

i live in wa and on my last car i ran 8k's until i got hit by a drunk driver

now i run 6k's which when warmed up look white with a slight pink in some angles( not sure why )

i never get bothered by police for my hid's, down the road i wanna do a retrofit with some 4300k's :-)
    He lives in Cali hes going to get destroyed by cops. I'm using 4500k HID's right now in my regular housing until I can save up for a retro and I have been pulled over a few times for having excessively bright lights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information