Close

Aftercooler Experience/Recommendations

I contacted Mercracing??? and no response... I've done some research here, honda-tech, and k20a.org, but mentions of some here and there, not specific recommendations or experiences of aftercooler... So I thought I'll ask any of you with aftercooler expriences. Who makes aftercooler for our chassis? and which company would you guys recommend from your experiences? Thanks in advance!

You can't fit one on the EP3 Manifold you will have to buy the RSX one.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Civic View Post
    You can't fit one on the EP3 Manifold you will have to buy the RSX one.
    well, from what I read up on, with RSX specific SC kit, I'd have issues installing onto my Z3 swapped motor in my EP3 chassis... I know, thanks to some of you guys here, I wouldn't need aftercooler kit if I was to stay below 9lbs, but just wanted to look into it as a future plan. I'm sure I'll eventually want to upgrade to higher boost... When that happens, I wanted to make sure I'll be able to do it, but it sounds like I need to find a way to fit RSX kit with my z3 motor now so that I may still have option to put one on if I wanted to. Thanks for your clarification!!!

Both chargers bolt up to any K motor that same regardless. The difference between the two kits is that the EP3 kit the charger is mounted vertical (due to engine bay space) and the DC5 kit the Charger is mounted horizontal thus creating a larger manifold, and more space between that rotors on the charger and intake ports on the head. You need to have space to install a bell core intercooler in the manifold. The EP chargers manifold has zero room for it.

And yes you can fit a DC5 kit into a EP with a few modifications.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilmour View Post
    Both chargers bolt up to any K motor that same regardless. The difference between the two kits is that the EP3 kit the charger is mounted vertical (due to engine bay space) and the DC5 kit the Charger is mounted horizontal thus creating a larger manifold, and more space between that rotors on the charger and intake ports on the head. You need to have space to install a bell core intercooler in the manifold. The EP chargers manifold has zero room for it.

And yes you can fit a DC5 kit into a EP with a few modifications.
    Only modification you need to do is bend part of the radiator support and it's good to go. You could also cut it if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Only modification you need to do is bend part of the radiator support and it's good to go. You could also cut it if you want.
    you just answered my next question, thank you!!! I already had to shave up some portion of radiator support to fit z3 IM, and I did get a response from Mercracing with some recommendations as well. I guess my best bet is to purchase RSX specific JRSC, unless I can locate a used one...

Quote Originally Posted by cloumep3 View Post
    you just answered my next question, thank you!!! I already had to shave up some portion of radiator support to fit z3 IM, and I did get a response from Mercracing with some recommendations as well. I guess my best bet is to purchase RSX specific JRSC, unless I can locate a used one...
    damn man your car is gonna be a little beast! I was always a little worried looking at the design of aftercoolers though, i cant imagaine a weld takes a shit in the manifold, leaking all the coolant in there

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    damn man your car is gonna be a little beast! I was always a little worried looking at the design of aftercoolers though, i cant imagaine a weld takes a shit in the manifold, leaking all the coolant in there

It sure is one nasty storm inside their, but I have not heard of any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    hmm..., I never thought about that..., it would suck a*s!!! But from what I heard Mercracing stuff is legit and built he does some solid job welding it.

Thread Information