Close

Helpp! I have horrible gas milage!

I'm currently getting about 17 mpg all city driving. I dont know whats wrong. Do I need an oil change?

20mpg on my last tank. Maybe an oil change can help but there's so much more factors on getting better mpg.

Is it worth using Mobil 1 synthetic (~$60) vs just having normal oil(~$20) if I'm doing the oil change in an auto service shop?

$60 bucks on oil change???
    thats crazy i spent 25 bucks using mobil 1 synthetic with new oil filter

anyway theres a lot things to get horrible MPG
    like gas octane, and stuff

you may want to check your IAT sensor, MAP sensor, or Mass Air Flow sensor. The Mass air flow is what tells your computer how much fuel to dump in, and if it's a bit off, then it's pretty much like telling your ECU that you are boost and have more air going into your engine. More air=More Fuel. What year car is it, and what type of intake system you get for it? The MAF sensor is on your intake pipe with I believe 2 wires coming from it. Pull the sensor out and check the resistors on it. Hope it this helps

by the way just lear how to changed the oil by your self

I know how, it's just I can't find the time and space (garage+driveway with 8 cars lol) to do it. BTW the $60 is a full synthetic service. IDK if that makes a lot more difference. But the normal service is $20 + synthetic oil is $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiotistik View Post
    I'm currently getting about 17 mpg all city driving. I dont know whats wrong. Do I need an oil change?
    Is your check engine light on? Any mods?

300whp+2140lbs= fun classiccelica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmq06 View Post
    $60 bucks on oil change???
    thats crazy i spent 25 bucks using mobil 1 synthetic with new oil filter

anyway theres a lot things to get horrible MPG
    like gas octane, and stuff

you may want to check your IAT sensor, MAP sensor, or Mass Air Flow sensor. The Mass air flow is what tells your computer how much fuel to dump in, and if it's a bit off, then it's pretty much like telling your ECU that you are boost and have more air going into your engine. More air=More Fuel. What year car is it, and what type of intake system you get for it? The MAF sensor is on your intake pipe with I believe 2 wires coming from it. Pull the sensor out and check the resistors on it. Hope it this helps
    There are no MAF sensors on the ep or pretty much any civic I have ever worked on. I am having the same problem, replaced the primary o2 sensor and it ran great then I had a p0171 running too lean code come on and nobody has been able to tell me yet if the fuel filter is what it needs.

I think I avg abot 19-21 mpg doing all city driving. This week I put on about 95% highway miles and managed to get 28mpg.. Bout the best I've ever had heh. Trying to figure out the easiest way to get access to my AEM's air filter for a cleaning though.

Thread Information