Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neoamd View Post
    Wow man, my quote JUST for the swap labor was $1900!!!!! Thats insane IMO..
    yea wasnt cheap. but also tons more was done then just takin an engine out and replacing it with another one.

u get what u pay for.....i'd say anything less than 1200$ is either sketchy or the shop has an extremely low overhead that they can manage to do a swap dirt cheap.
    say 80$/hr for a 2 guy job that takes 5 hrs...thats 800 bucks right there and youll need atleast 400$+ for parts. dont low ball man its too risky

i paid 800 in labor for my k24 swap

ephatch member
    I'll find out the total bill tomorrow. I'm a little scared. Originally I was quoted 950 for labor, but that included resurfacing my flywheel, but I purchased a resurfaced a2 one instead. So that should have dropped labor to $900. But verbally he said he wouldn't charge to clean the engine bay and under chassis and the new motor, but I am yet to find out if that is true. I also added front brakes and tires mounted and balanced to the workorder. They didn't need to add anything else except for some zip ties and refrigerant since I supplied motor, resurfaced flywheel, oil, coolant, tranny fluid, oil filter, and tires. I did have them supply the brakes and the clutch. I'm hoping a bill of $1700 or less for labor($900), cc stage 4 clutch($340), front brake pads(?), and mounting and balancing(?), plus whatever little bullshit I am forgetting.

DIY, took me less than one day and payed under 2k including engine and all fluids

ephatch member
    ^^^^that was the route I always planned on taking, but unfortunately I didn't plan to ruin this last motor and I don't have the tools or time to devote to swapping myself.

dont really need that many tools to take the motor out...and just one day is all you need

Quote Originally Posted by RHCP0801 View Post
    dont really need that many tools to take the motor out...and just one day is all you need
    to do it right its nice having proper tools.

A nice socket set, breaker bar, wrenchs, an engine hoist, jack thats not a low one, jackstands, a garage or covered area.

gotta leave room for error etc..specially if youve never tackled this type of thing before..leave 2-3 days for the swap.
    be jealous :P

ephatch member
    wooop woooop! Just got done talking to the shop. Total damage was only $1,080.91. When I see them on Friday I want to look at the bill, because I think they left some stuff off. For instance the clutch, brakes, and getting the tires mounted and balanced. Unless they rocked the motor swap in 7-8 hours or Johnny decided to cut me a deal since his clutch was just sitting around for the last year unused or hoping that I turn around and have him tune it. Which I may, but Mike(elitetuning) did such an awesome job last time, I really trust his work.

One cool duck, with a hat Heitzke's Avatar
    Every swap that I've done has taken a few days, no problem. Could I have gotten them done quicker? Probably, but I'd rather take my time and tie up loose ends during the swap process.

Well I have everything needed for the swap I just need the motors swapped out and the old mods installed on the new motor.

I have most of the mods already on the other motor so I cant see it taking them alot of time. Also I plan on keeping the 5 spd tranny for now.
    Last edited by jimmy`; 11-11-2008 at 05:45 AM.

my z3 swap labor was just over 700, that includes installing new clutch/new flywheel/redoing the intake/reverse lockout switch install/etc. Shop did some quality work and no problem since Jan 2010.

Can anyone recommended some good shops in the South East? I'm in Alabama and willing to drive and fly back if need be.

ephatch member
    what part of alabama?

Adams Automotive did a good job on my car and ebizzle's frank+peakboost. They are in Crestview, FL in the northern section of the panhandle

Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    what part of alabama?

Adams Automotive did a good job on my car and ebizzle's frank+peakboost. They are in Crestview, FL in the northern section of the panhandle
    Montgomery.

Crestview, FL -- hmm All of my family is from Pensacola so that might do the trick! Can I get a # or URL for these folks?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information