Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would say stop putting them on so tight. You could always try the poke a hole in it with a screw driver trick but that's messy. I just buy the Purolator Pure-One filters, snug them on, and since they are covered in what is basically sand paper they are easy to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by mobomelter View Post
    I would say stop putting them on so tight.
    If only Honda would do this...

I always use a filter wrench to get it off with a long extension so your not busting your knuckles up. Hand tighten it as hard as you can when you replace it....works for me no leaks!

Quote Originally Posted by EPo3Hatch View Post
    Hand tighten it as hard as you can when you replace it....works for me no leaks!
    This is what landed him in this boat in the first place. It only needs to be snugged not wrenched on.

This is what landed him in this boat in the first place. It only needs to be snugged not wrenched on.
    i've been told to hand tighten it with your off-hand.

since they are covered in what is basically sand paper they are easy to get off.
    I've actually used sandpaper to take the filter off pretty often, always worked for me.

The filter only needs to go 1/4 turn past the rubber gasket touching. Anything more and you are distorting the gasket and making your future life miserable.....LOL
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

ephatch member
    if it's a pain in the ass, I say just swap the motor!! Mine was stuck for 2-3 oil changes and I was getting tired of it and was about to try the screwdriver method, but then the TCT gave out and my a3 was toast. It got real easy after that, I just put in a k24a1.

One cool duck, with a hat Heitzke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    if it's a pain in the ass, I say just swap the motor!! Mine was stuck for 2-3 oil changes and I was getting tired of it and was about to try the screwdriver method, but then the TCT gave out and my a3 was toast. It got real easy after that, I just put in a k24a1.
    Bahaha! How's the new motor workin' out?

the automatic tightening cup thingy...

this^, a u-joint, and about 3-4 ft of extentions, space permitting. this seriously has taken off every filter on every k series engine that would come into the shop. elements, crvs, civic, rsx, accords.

i've had HUGE guys hang by other filter wrenches, where this one would come off as easy as it was put on, if not easier.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    the automatic tightening cup thingy...
    Amen. I do up to 100 oil changes a day and this bastard and the one kenscivic posted up are the most used.

This happened to me when I first got my ep. I could never get it off and I tried everything. I first used my hand and nope, then tried the oil wrench with a rachet but kept slipping and it like stripped the threads on the filter, then the screw driver trick and it still wouldnt come off and I had a huge mess. i got a rag and clean it off as good as possible and rubbed a little oil dry on it to make it not as oily. I then got some sand paper and it worked like a charm.

I have always put the oil filter just hand tight like you are suppose to and never have a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information