Close

DC header tech question. help

okay I just put my header on and all the bolts arevery snug. When i started it up there was some smoke coming out atop the header. I don't think its a leak, but I figure since it doesnt smell like exhaust its just burning off that top layer of ceramic.

I went around town for a 5 min drive after i let it warm up....when i turned off the car there was that rattling sound. Could that collector plate ALREADY broke off for the 5-8 mins i was driving it? I'm letting it cool down again right now and will check that collector plate in about an hour or so.

btw i used brand new aluminum exh manifold gasket and a new white collector gasket. So that takes out any leaks from the gaskets.

if it IS the collector plate that came out, I'll probably just run the 4-1. I would probably get a dyno run with the DC being 4-1 so we can compare it with the original dc 4-2-1 setup. See how much torque i would lose if any. I guess i could expect similar #'s to the HP one. Only time will tell.

Oh and myeverlovinsir, when ur plate broke off, did it go down into the pipe that the CAT is connected to or was it just rattling around inside the collector? i hope my baby is alright.

The baffle plate is shaped in a such a way that there are two
    prongs that protrude on the lower base of the plate. This is designed
    to prevent the plate from flying off and going into the downpipe and
    into your cat. I will take about 200 miles of noisy, rattling driving
    before you will have degraded the plate enough to have it release from the header collector. I think it is ok to remove it, and run
    4-1, should be fine. Would like to see the numbers on the dyno as well. I guess you got one of the first off batch. (no welds along the baffle plate)

Here is a pic of when I got my header changed out. You can see
    how it degraded and wore at the lower edges, curved as well.

It will be hard to remove if it is near new. You will have to cut it
    with a torch, or some method. You can always play roulette with
    it until you have worn it like the above pic, then bend the lower
    tabs in to remove it. (no fun either way) hth
    Last edited by myeverlovinsir; 12-12-2002 at 03:46 PM.

Thread Information