Close

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar

Ideal Spring Rates

can you guys give suggestions.. i'm tryna run a really stiff setup for the street without being like rocky. right now i have the racelands and they are a lil soft.. i wanna order custom springs for the setup and see how that turns out

I think the big trick is to match the spring rates to the tires you're going to run. The stiffer the suspension, the grippy-ier the tires should be. As for the rocky ride, it's a trade off. You can fine tune it maybe with supplementing lower spring rates with larger sways, or going with a higher profile tire, but it's generally a trade off between performance and comfort. Somewhere in there is your "butter zone," but that's a personal taste thing, not something I could tell you.

Stiff suspension on the street? Are you trying to make the car handle badly on purpose?

Regardless, what tires are you running? How low has the car been droped? What alignment do you have the car set to? How rough are the roads where you drive?

Remember this, for best performance suspensions should be as soft as you can get away with. The "as you can get away with" is the important part. Run a stiffer suspension then whats necessary and all you do is reduce the total amount of mechanical grip the car can make.

For a very technical answer, I'd say Ideal for a street car is between 2 to 2.5 Hz. (Stock is ~1.6 Hz front, 1.8Hz rear). Go look up suspension frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzx View Post
    Stiff suspension on the street? Are you trying to make the car handle badly on purpose?

Regardless, what tires are you running? How low has the car been droped? What alignment do you have the car set to? How rough are the roads where you drive?

Remember this, for best performance suspensions should be as soft as you can get away with. The "as you can get away with" is the important part. Run a stiffer suspension then whats necessary and all you do is reduce the total amount of mechanical grip the car can make.

For a very technical answer, I'd say Ideal for a street car is between 2 to 2.5 Hz. (Stock is ~1.6 Hz front, 1.8Hz rear). Go look up suspension frequencies.
    i have a file with a Hz calc including the respective hz for popular OTS systems

http://forums.clubep3.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=40

Quote Originally Posted by chiwhitesi View Post
    i have a file with a Hz calc including the respective hz for popular OTS systems

http://forums.clubep3.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=40
    You sir are crazy. And it still amazes me how many pre built setups have higher Hz on the nose vs the rear.

You sir are crazy. And it still amazes me how many pre built setups have higher Hz on the nose vs the rear.
    yeah i was actually shocked to find that our myself, it didn't take me too long to build the file i already had the data in excel format i just needed to bake the formulas into it.

OP don't forget that you still will need to have the shocks re valved to handle the higher rates, you might want to step up to some koni's & ground controls. im sure that the raceland dampeners are not that great
    Last edited by chiwhitesi; 09-28-2010 at 02:24 PM.

damn that chart is freaking awesome, thanks for posting it chiwhitesi :D

Looks like my progress c1's have a pretty good setup. Glad i did some research before buying :)

Progress has always been on the ball when it comes to suspension setups. one of the few that actually does the math and testing.

Progress has always been on the ball when it comes to suspension setups. one of the few that actually does the math and testing.
    werd i was surprised myself when i saw the progress was nearly a perfect setup OTS

ephatch member
    http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=565676

Are you trying to go for a barless setup? ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by kai-wun View Post
    http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=565676

Are you trying to go for a barless setup? ^_^
    i think that you are combining a couple of Musty's posts. he is just trying to pick some spring rates that would be ideal. The barless idea is based off the same theory just different rates

I think we scared the thread starter off.

I think we scared the thread starter off.
    ha ha, it was intimidating to me to the first 10x's i read Musty's post on clubep

Dre, what you need to do is ditch those racelands and get something else. Im running 9k front 13k rear right now and it seems to be a pretty decent setup for the street and performs great on the track. I think the biggest reason you feel that your suspension is too soft is that the damping resistance in those shocks is non existent. You need something with some quality valving and proper rates to get a nice solid ride from your car.

For what you use the car for I think a set of buddy club N+ would be great. Relatively affordable, great range of damping settings and street freindly spring rates.
    Last edited by shadowmd; 11-13-2008 at 11:30 AM.

Thread Information