Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar

Lightbulb Engine runs way too fast!

Anyone else notice this?
    My engine RPM's are already at 4100 at only 80 m.ph. (at 60 its already at 3000). This can't be good for highway fuel economy! I understand its probably geared for decent acceleration even in 5th but sometimes I just want to cruise and let it sip instead of gulp:) . Comments?

Re: Engine runs way too fast!

Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
    Anyone else notice this?
    My engine RPM's are already at 4100 at only 80 m.ph. (at 60 its already at 3000). This can't be good for highway fuel economy! I understand its probably geared for decent acceleration even in 5th but sometimes I just want to cruise and let it sip instead of gulp:) . Comments?
    Yea, I wish we had a six speed up in the Si's. I typically drive a lot faster than that on the highway, so it's even more a problem for me.

4u2nv
    what kind of milage are you getting? im still getting well over 32mpg and i drive fast

Originally posted by xlr8
    what kind of milage are you getting? im still getting well over 32mpg and i drive fast
    Like 22 mpg....half city, half highway. 32 mpg? Sounds a bit high. The sticker doesen't even have the estimate that high.

4u2nv
    never looked at the sticker, but last time i filled up was like 9.5 gallons and a little over 300 miles. thats not the best ive gotten either

never looked at the sticker, but last time i filled up was like 9.5 gallons and a little over 300 miles. thats not the best ive gotten either
    Maybe the stop and go of South Florida commuting is taking its toll. Or maybe its that I love that throttle a bit too much.

4u2nv
    i drive about 75% highway, but when im xlr8ing i always rev into vtec. at least since i got my aem i do, i love the sound

i drive about 75% highway, but when im xlr8ing i always rev into vtec. at least since i got my aem i do, i love the sound
    Ah, I get your name now! Much of my driving is city, so that's probably why....and like I said....S. Florida.... You can hear i-vtec engage with the CAI?

4u2nv
    the crossover isnt as drastic as in my friends b16 del sol, but yeah you can hear it. it finally sounds like a vtec motor

hahahahah nice pun

xlr8ing.........

my si gets about 27 to 28 mpg.. I guess its not that bad but i had a 93 cx before that got 42mpg... lol I got used to that. lol

...phone's ringin' Dude.. 02TafWhtSi's Avatar
    Ok, I think we've lost sight of my original question - are these engines supposed to be running this fast at highway speeds or is it that mine has a problem? I mean none of my other cars were doing over 4000 RPM's at 80 m.p.h. - is anyone else experiencing this?

Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
    Ok, I think we've lost sight of my original question - are these engines supposed to be running this fast at highway speeds or is it that mine has a problem? I mean none of my other cars were doing over 4000 RPM's at 80 m.p.h. - is anyone else experiencing this?
    Yea man, my car is at that RPM at 80ish miles per hour. Your car is fine. ;)

4u2nv
    yeah yours is fine mine does that too. sorry about getting off topic so much

2002HatchSi
    I have had many Hondas..... but i noticed that my SI get terrible gas miliage.. its just geared differently... if they had a 6th gear it would probably get like 36-40 mpg....... but hey its fast and it sounds good...... all though i cant wait to get an intake....i heard they scream!!!!!!!!!1:o

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information