Close

Thread: Oil CHANGE

Oil CHANGE

hey ep3 community!

Did my first oil change. I got me some OEM honda oil filters and Used Castrol synth oil 5w-20.

Question. Is it worth using OEM honda oil filters with other type of oils like synthetic and diff brands?
    I figured it's best to use OEM honda filter with OEM honda oil.
    Or is it best to get a aftermarket Oil filter for better performance and something suitable with synthetic oil. Dont bash me i'm a newb when it comes to Cars. Starting to get the hang of this and getting more into cars ;D

Btw It wasn't that bad changing the oil filter as i thought it would be from the forums i've read online heh. Used a ramp.

i always use a honda filter than mobil 1 synthetic 5w30

Honda OEM filters always dood, good job!

NICE! Feel good changing the oil and stuff like that on my ep . make me appreciate it more lol. Honda OEM are good. From experience, stay away from Fram oil filters. They have swollen or cracked on me. I have using lately purolator filter with royal purple.

For what they charge for those honeywell made Honda filters you'd be better off going with Wix/Napa Gold, Bosch, Purolator, or even save some cash while you're at it and get some SuperTechs at Walmart. just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercard View Post
    From experience, stay away from Fram oil filters. They have swollen or cracked on me.
    Not sure if they still do, but they used to have cardboard endcaps that disintegrate and leaky bypass valves. link

honda uses fram to supply their OEM filters. The endcaps aren't cardboard, but a bonded fiber medium...

so what's a good oil filter and what do most rec for their ep3? mobil extended performance filter or the puralotr pureone filter? inputs appreciated lookin to spoil my baby ;D anything that'll give it that extra haha

Quote Originally Posted by 04EpNewb View Post
    so what's a good oil filter and what do most rec for their ep3? mobil extended performance filter or the puralotr pureone filter? inputs appreciated lookin to spoil my baby ;D anything that'll give it that extra haha
    cant go wrong with either mobil 1 or pureone. i'd personally go with the pureone because its half the price

personally owning my car for 4 years and being the newb in the group of my car friends who have been in it since the EARLY days i would say a Wix filter with Mobile 1 full sythentic 5w-20. i have run this since i got my car at 40k and im at 85k no problems.

ps if your a really big noob make sure you point a little used on on the rubber gasket on the oil filter makes it easier to get off next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 631 View Post
    honda uses fram to supply their OEM filters. The endcaps aren't cardboard, but a bonded fiber medium...
    im looking at a oem Honda filter and it says FILTECH inc. not FRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by VividSI View Post
    im looking at a oem Honda filter and it says FILTECH inc. not FRAM.
    Honda's A01 filters are supplied by Filtech; the A02s are supplied by Fram/Honeywell. Arguably, the A01s are more robust, but both are manufactured to the specifications prescribed by American Honda Motor Co. In any case, either Wix's/NAPA's 1356 or Purolator's PL-14610 are better constructed, contain more media and are less expensive, particularly if purchased online.
    Last edited by Mechanic; 12-08-2010 at 03:03 PM.

for the record there is a huge huge huge difference in the quality of honda oem filters versus the fram/honeywell and id rather run hondas filters over anyone else, honda knows what they are doing and put more r&d in than suppliers, so ill just go with what they suggest before trusting someone else

my 2cents are why the hell would you cheap out for a essentially a couple bucks at most on something that lasts months and is one of the most important parts of keeping an engine happy and healthy over time...im so tired of people bitching about the cost of better oil and filters, the increased cost is so freaking minimal when you look at the span of time you run it.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

for the record there is a huge huge huge difference in the quality of honda oem filters versus the fram/honeywell and id rather run hondas filters over anyone else, honda knows what they are doing and put more r&d in than suppliers, so ill just go with what they suggest before trusting someone else

my 2cents are why the hell would you cheap out for a essentially a couple bucks at most on something that lasts months and is one of the most important parts of keeping an engine happy and healthy over time...im so tired of people bitching about the cost of better oil and filters, the increased cost is so freaking minimal when you look at the span of time you run it.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post

I think you misunderstood my response above. To clarify, Honda has two suppliers for its "OEM" filters. One, HMC part # 15400-PLM-A01, is supplied to Honda by Filtech. The other, HMC part # 15400-PLM-A02, is supplied by Honeywell/Fram. Both are manufactured to conform to the filtration requirements prescribed by Honda, and hundreds of thousands of both have been sold by Honda dealers and are in use today. Neither is as bad as Fram's lowest-cost "Orange Can of Death" or, for that matter, as many of the exaggerations posted on the web would have you believe. I, however, prefer Wix/NAPA 1356 or Purolator's PL-14610 because I have inspected both carefully, have read a ton of research, and I know they are much better filters for less money. I agree with you completely that there is no reason to "cheap out" when it comes to an oil filter that will be on your car for months.

Thread Information