Close

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    awesome write up... i have heard that with the this setup you have to change the rear trailing arm(a must or just something extra)??? is that true... also for the the tie rods do you just swap the outer or the inner also??? tie rods: did you use dc5 or ep3???

great DIY. can you add torque specs for all the nuts and bolts? it would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by PartyPooper View Post
    awesome write up... i have heard that with the this setup you have to change the rear trailing arm(a must or just something extra)??? is that true... also for the the tie rods do you just swap the outer or the inner also??? tie rods: did you use dc5 or ep3???
    you would have to use a dc5 trailing arm if you decide that for some reason you do not want to grind down the rear lower shock bushing. another option opposed to grinding is to press out the dc5 bushing and replace with an ep3 one.

also, if you look at the fist post carefully, you'd realize that it's just the tie rod ends that need to be replaced with the dc5 counterpart. the part number is there
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Im not 100% on this but i believe that the DC5 trailing arms have a different bolt pattern for the lower control ares then the EP3. So you'd need to get the DC5 lower control arms also.

Pardon the noob question, but what kind of suspension is on the Type R?

Quote Originally Posted by PartyPooper View Post
    Everything you need to do is listed in the write up. All the parts that you don't already have on your EP3 is listed in the thread as well.

You will need two, DC5 tie rod ends, just the ends, not the entire rod. The same ones that come on the DC5 are used on the Honda Element.

You can get all the parts from a Honda Dealership, there is a picture with the part numbers listed.

Questions about the Lower Control Arms (LCA): You can use the ones that come with the Ep3, but the rear struts are wider at the bottom where they bolt up to the LCA, that is why you have to shave/grind them down to make them fit in there but you don't have to touch the LCA's at all. It's really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledouble View Post
    Pardon the noob question, but what kind of suspension is on the Type R?
    Pretty sure it's just the HFP kit, which is discontinued.. There are many other differences with the suspension alone on a JDM ep3 Type R and an everyday 02-05 Civic Si. There is a thread 'somewhere' that I remember seeing that has a list of things you can do to "Type R" your car.

Quote Originally Posted by iDom View Post
    Pretty sure it's just the HFP kit, which is discontinued.. There are many other differences with the suspension alone on a JDM ep3 Type R and an everyday 02-05 Civic Si. There is a thread 'somewhere' that I remember seeing that has a list of things you can do to "Type R" your car.
    Not to thread jack but thanks for the response. I would be most interested in seeing that thread. (I'm tryin' decide on a different suspension set-up atm).

not trying to be a pian but are you sure?
    The reason im asking is BC a guy on clubrsx with an em2 is sell a pair of dc5 trailing arms BC he bought EP3 LCA and they don't fit.
    http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=705305
    Also every LCA for the DC5 has a diferent part # then the EP3 but some of the EP3/EM2 are the same.

Yes the LCA's for the DC5 ARE different, that is why you have to shave down the rear struts to make them fit in the ep3 LCA's because they are smaller. There's a picture showing and explaining the differences in the thread.
    Yes, I am 100% sure. If you have the parts listed in the thread, and do as it says, it will work. As sure as the car I drive every single day, it works my friend lol.

you've miss understood what i'm asking about. I was referring to usedep3's post about using the DC5 trailing arms so you don't have to grind the struts down.
    What i'm saying is that if you use the DC5 trailing arm you also have to use the DC5 LCA BC of the bolt pattern of the LCA.

I see what you're saying now. My mistake. Here's my take on it. This suspension is good, no doubt, but I believe what makes it 'great' is it's price at 650 brand new, and the simplicity of the installation.

If grinding the rears down is a concern, I might suggest getting a nice set of coilovers instead because after the price you'd pay for the tie rod ends and new LCA's and all the other components, you'll probably of spent the same amount, if not more, PLUS a lot more work load doing it.

A set of ep3 specific progress, buddy club, tein, etc.. coilovers can be had for about 1k, you'll have to decide what's best for you. The a-spec with tie rod ends and all the other stuff is about 750 after tax and everything else, plus 2 LCA's and everything else, especially if you get them new, will easily be over 1k.
    Last edited by iDom; 02-06-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthesiths View Post
    you've miss understood what i'm asking about. I was referring to usedep3's post about using the DC5 trailing arms so you don't have to grind the struts down.
    What i'm saying is that if you use the DC5 trailing arm you also have to use the DC5 LCA BC of the bolt pattern of the LCA.
    well, i was just saying that it is an option (an expensive option), if the installer didnt want to grind anything or press in new bushings. as far as i know, you cannot buy just the DC5 or the EP3 rear LCA. the trailing arm comes with the LCA already installed as one piece. i assumed that when i said trailing arm, people understood that meant trailing arm plus the LCA bc honda does not sell them separately. we all know that the LCA and the trailing arm can be disassembled from one another and replaced with aftermarket LCAs from Skunk2, megan, etc, etc

so yes, we're both right in a way, the DC5 trailing arm implys that you have to use the DC5 LCA that comes with it. good looking out though
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Quote Originally Posted by iDom View Post
    Everything you need to do is listed in the write up. All the parts that you don't already have on your EP3 is listed in the thread as well.

You will need two, DC5 tie rod ends, just the ends, not the entire rod. The same ones that come on the DC5 are used on the Honda Element.

You can get all the parts from a Honda Dealership, there is a picture with the part numbers listed.
    thanks again.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information