Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sticky clips

I'm installing my ctr skirts today and I ran out of sticky clips/they were on B/O at the stealership and were also soo damn expensive ($11.40 a clip..i hate being in canada some times). Anyways, I had 9 sticky clips i got when i bought my skirts, and i bought the skirt stays from a guy in the UK to help keep them up.

and for the reamining sticky clips, what i did was went out and bought a roll of professional 3m 15lb tape and some random metal shims that are the same thickness as the OEM sticky clips.

When you guys mounted yours, any tips? did you just wash the car to make sure its clean and then peel and stick? or did you do anything special before mounting them? I'm gonna throw em on in the next hour or 2 (depending on when my gf is free to help me)

gaining adhesion onto the actual body of the car is easy. just make sure you clean the car thoroughly and used rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits to remove any residual oils/grease. a nice clean coat of polish/wax and/or adhesion promoter would be great.

the problem comes when you try to get the double sided tape to adhere to the plastic on the actual sideskirts. i bought my ctr skirts used and the problem i kept having was the 3m tape would not adhere to the sideskirts. i tried several times/method to clean and prep the plastic on the sideskirt, and different grades of 3m tapes, but the adhesion of the tape/skirt would always fail after a few hours/weeks/months.

again, the adhesion of the tape to body was good. it was the poor adhesion of the skirt to the tape that made me finally give in and order the oem clips. haven't had a problem since and worth every penny in my book

jukka, i like what you've done and i've tried something very similar as well but it didnt work for me.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

thanks man. I hope/think it should work though. I put the OEM sticky clips on the spots where they are gonna need to be secure the most (above the skirt stays and on the back of the skirt towards the rear wheel), so the rest is gonna just be there for light support. Also I've checked the adhesive on the skirts already, and they arent going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    thanks man. I hope/think it should work though. I put the OEM sticky clips on the spots where they are gonna need to be secure the most (above the skirt stays and on the back of the skirt towards the rear wheel), so the rest is gonna just be there for light support. Also I've checked the adhesive on the skirts already, and they arent going anywhere.

good luck man. your setup should be fine. hopefully it works out better for you than it did for me.

by the back of the skirt do you mean the hump where it rises just before the rear wheel i would def (if possible) put 2 sticky clips on each skirt there

its good you have a few sticky slips. i don't think you need all 22 but honda does recommend you have 22 sticky/push clips.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

I would concentrate the clips at the rear of the side skirts then space out the rest. You should be fine. I was planning on only getting nine but I got fed up with it falling off so I decided not to halfass it.

So i put them on, they fell off..lol The clips I made up didnt hold all that well, the OEM ones were awesome. Anyways, what I decided to do was I ordered 30 OEM type-r clips (the ones that plug into the body). So im either gonna do one of 2 things, drill holes and paint it over with some POR15 so they wont rust..or since I have 30 of them coming, I might break out the rotoary tool and cut the stem off and sand it down, then hit it with some double sided tape. so that theres some good contact made on plastic clip. I'll post pics/how it worked when i get it done.

Also, i bought the clips off ebay.co.uk for $24.50 shipped for 30 of them, or could have spent $110 and bought all OEM sticky clips.

So i put them on, they fell off..lol The clips I made up didnt hold all that well, the OEM ones were awesome. Anyways, what I decided to do was I ordered 30 OEM type-r clips (the ones that plug into the body). So im either gonna do one of 2 things, drill holes and paint it over with some POR15 so they wont rust..or since I have 30 of them coming, I might break out the rotoary tool and cut the stem off and sand it down, then hit it with some double sided tape. so that theres some good contact made on plastic clip. I'll post pics/how it worked when i get it done.

Also, i bought the clips off ebay.co.uk for $24.50 shipped for 30 of them, or could have spent $110 and bought all OEM sticky clips.

whatever works for you :].

anyone tried used 3m vhb , heard it was the best you can buy .

[QUOTE=Jukka;893833]I'm installing my ctr skirts today and I ran out of sticky clips/they were on B/O at the stealership and were also soo damn expensive ($11.40 a clip..i hate being in canada some times). Anyways, I had 9 sticky clips i got when i bought my skirts, and i bought the skirt stays from a guy in the UK to help keep them up.

Wondering where you found those under, skirt stays? I bought my skirts used, and I need to replace those. I would need two for each side skirt. Thanks

Thumbs up

I'm installing my ctr skirts today and I ran out of sticky clips/they were on B/O at the stealership and were also soo damn expensive ($11.40 a clip..i hate being in canada some times). Anyways, I had 9 sticky clips i got when i bought my skirts, and i bought the skirt stays from a guy in the UK to help keep them up.

and for the reamining sticky clips, what i did was went out and bought a roll of professional 3m 15lb tape and some random metal shims that are the same thickness as the OEM sticky clips.

When you guys mounted yours, any tips? did you just wash the car to make sure its clean and then peel and stick? or did you do anything special before mounting them? I'm gonna throw em on in the next hour or 2 (depending on when my gf is free to help me)
    I don't see how the self made sticky clips are going to be used, help please...thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information