Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Audio

ephatch member
    Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

same here, in southern cali traffic good sounds (or cell phone hehe) is a must:)
    Haha, yes a cell phone is a must also even more so when you hook it up to work through your stock speakers :)

LateSleeper
    I just got a quote from a local audio shop. Is this too pricy? What do you think of this:

Stock Head unit for now.
    Kicker KX700.5 Amp with remote gain.
    MB Quartz 5.25 Componet (Fronts)
    MB Quartz 5.25 Coaxial (Rears)
    2 JL 10W04 (must be left over.. according to JL's website they are discontinued)
    Custom sealed box with false floor and carpeting.
    1 Farad Capacitor
    4 guage wiring and misc speaker wire.
    Dynomat in key areas.

$1888.22

In the end it'll be a nice stealthy install.

MB Quart speakers are very... how can I describe it.... bright. They have a hard dome tweeter and some people find their sound a bit harsh and too bright, but it's all about personal preference. As far as the subs, I think you could do better than a pair of leftovers. Seems like they're really taking a lot out of you for those, especially if the technology has changed greatly (and with JL it has, just look at their W7 sub, and the subs under it are getting the same technology soon).

Also, the lack of a new head unit is an issue to me, because with a line level converter (which is what they will have to use to hook an amp to a stock head unit) will not give you the best sound, for the components OR the subs. I would start with a head unit, that WILL make even the stock speakers sound better (although it's only marginal). Also, it depends on which model of components and coaxials they're using, but I can guarantee that the MBQuarts will require more power than the stock head unit can put out. My friend is running a pair of MBQ's in his integra, and he had to get a seperate amp to run them, because his Alpine head unit wasn't putting out enough power.

Another thing: The annual Consumer Electronics Show is the first week in January. If I could make ONE major suggestion, it's to wait until then. New products will hit the market then, and you'll be getting the newest stuff out there that way.

LateSleeper
    Thanks for the input JayDub. If it makes any difference, the KX700 is a 5 channel amp. The MB quartz will be driven on all four corners from the amp. Specs of the amp are 75W x 4 and 400W @ 2 ohms for the sub channel. I'll talk to them some more about subs and see if they can quote something newer.

I just checked out the specs on that amp, and it looks like a great one. good luck :)

Originally posted by jaydub

Another thing: The annual Consumer Electronics Show is the first week in January. If I could make ONE major suggestion, it's to wait until then. New products will hit the market then, and you'll be getting the newest stuff out there that way.
    How can we access the new products that are being released. Is there a web site that covers the show?

Originally posted by greenguy

How can we access the new products that are being released. Is there a web site that covers the show?
    www.cesweb.org

:) Of course, I'll also be attending the show, so I'll have plenty of pics and stuff.

ephatch member
    same here, i will be attending, while not as nice as SEMA for car audio, it still is a very good show

yeah it only sucks that this year the adult part of it will be at some other convention center, and it costs $35. :(

napapacoda
    Pioneer makes good head units, but other than that, I stay away. I had front and rear pioneer speakers originally when I purchased my car from someone else. I replaced them with boston acoustics and boy did it sound better. I can't believe people haven't mentioned them on this yet, they aren't audiophile quality, but for the price, nothing beats em or actually handles as much wattage. I had the RM9's in my old civic and threw over 90 watts RMS using an orion 375 XTR amp and it worked awesome.:p

nbj1485
    bostons arent that great for the price...how much did u spend on them? infinity kappas can be had for around $150 and they can handle around 90 watts.

Fack MB quart :angel: I have JL audio XR650CSi sepreates in front and XR650coax in rear with JL400/4 and my car sounds great. of course my tweeters are -3db down but it sounds awsome.

napapacoda
    I got the RM9's for $200 through someone who I know who works there. They cost $300 though if you don't have a friend working at tweeter. Although I agree Kappas are great as well, I will stick with BA for every car I purchase.

nbj1485
    napapacoda, where are u from?

napapacoda
    Originally posted by nbj1485
    napapacoda, where are u from?

The eastcoast. Can't hook ya up with a deal though, the kid I go through is a friend of my brothers so getting shit for even myself takes like a week or two. Well worth the wait though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information