Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question How do I prevent my shift boot from sliding down on my shift knob

My type r shift boot keeps sliding down on my shift knob. What do I need to do to keep it up right against my aftermarket shift knob"?

I went to my local Rona's ( Like Home depot or Lowe's) brought the knob in with me and found out the thread pitch, size and ect. I bought two bolts and a couple washers. I put the bolt under the shift boot with one washer on top and the two bolts under locked into each other. Adjust shift boot height accordingly.

That's what I did may or may not work for you only about 4 bucks in part. But if it works it gets rid of a lot of aggravations

jdm shift boot, acura rsx shift boot adapter (discontinued), crsx shift boot adapter, oem shifter base bushing, tape. these are some of your options or just get creative
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

He already has a type-r shift boot.

I dont know what to say, they are all like that. I dont mind it really. Before I just wrapped a bunch of tape under the knob inside the boot to hold it up but than it pinched my hand when I was shifting so the gap prevents that which I am sure was as Honda intended.
    Last edited by Kumar; 11-22-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Unscrew the knob, take the boot off, screw the knob on as far down as you want, wrap ducttape around it kinda thick then unscrew the knob off and put everything back on. It'll hold up real close to the knob and look a lot better.
    Your welcome

i used a small (1/2") cut piece of hose around the size of the shifter piece. idk what size but make sure its on there tight and adjust what height you wanit it at and it will stay. idk if im making sense to you ha

Electrical tape FTW
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Unscrew the knob, take the boot off, screw the knob on as far down as you want, wrap ducttape around it kinda thick then unscrew the knob off and put everything back on. It'll hold up real close to the knob and look a lot better.
    Your welcome
    haha thanks it worked great

Rubber bands! 8^) But I think Im going to try the
    I went to my local Rona's ( Like Home depot or Lowe's) brought the knob in with me and found out the thread pitch, size and ect. I bought two bolts and a couple washers. I put the bolt under the shift boot with one washer on top and the two bolts under locked into each other. Adjust shift boot height accordingly.

That's what I did may or may not work for you only about 4 bucks in part. But if it works it gets rid of a lot of aggravations
    method. Except I might have to re-read that once more lol!

I used the little collar piece that came with the BCSS...did some test fitting, then with the boot off, turned that down to where it needed to be. Boot goes over top, and knob on last.
    Nice, tight, consistent fit, and the collar acts as a nice locknut to prevent the knob from turning too far.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    I used the little collar piece that came with the BCSS...did some test fitting, then with the boot off, turned that down to where it needed to be. Boot goes over top, and knob on last.
    Nice, tight, consistent fit, and the collar acts as a nice locknut to prevent the knob from turning too far.
    Very nice, Im on my lunch at work right now, I am going to try and do the "McTaggart34" right now, Ill take pictures. 8ˆ)

twisty tie ftmfw

i used zip ties, had it like that for almost five years.

Quote Originally Posted by emsep View Post
    i used zip ties, had it like that for almost five years.
    Pic of this? lol zip ties ftw!

Also there is many way of doing it but by reading most people post on this subject, the popular way to do it is with tape :P

ephatch member
    Get two nuts that fit the shifter lever. Remove knob and boot. Thread the two nuts to where you want the knob to sit and then lock them together. Stack a washer or two on top. Reinstall boot and tighten knob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information