Close

Thread: wheel bearing?

wheel bearing?

Well I got my new clutch in and there is a whineing noise comeing from the rear driverside of the car. Sound increases with speed. I was thinking wheel bearing. Do you have to buy the whole hub assembly or just the bearing and how hard is it to do?

I think it is a 1 piece unit IIRC, does the whine go away or get louder when making a turn at speed? Bad bearings will always change the noise they make when in a turn, if the noise is constant then take a look at your brakes as well before changing the hub. Also there should be some evident play in the wheel, jack up and secure the vehicle, grab a rear tire at the top and bottom and try rocking the wheel, a bad bearing will usually show itself.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

It does not seem to change going around corners. It just gets louder with speed. The brakes seem fine. When I remove the wheel everything seems to spin freely no unusual tight spots or wobbling. It might just do it under the load of the car though?

if it comes from the rear, turning might not make it go away. Does your car vibrate at those speed? Wheel bearing took me three days. Use a torque driver to get the screws from the hub out and not a regular drill and screw. It requires a hydralic tool that presses out the bearing. Using the torque driver and knowing someone with the hydralic press will allow you to finish it in one day. And source the parts first and if doing the front, it'll be a good time to change your lower ball joints and honda only sells the whole hub assembly which is around 300. And don't buy autozone ball joints cuz they are shorter than the oem ones. I got mine from oriellys. I took mine and compared it.

hey before you throw on a new wheel bearing, try rotating your tires and see if the noies moves where the rear tires are moved too. if it does then your tires might be to blame. i had the same noise and it sounded like a wheel bearing but it turned out to be flat spots on the edge of the tires. my noise would start to whine between 30-40mph and get louder from there.

Quote Originally Posted by 15000rpms View Post
    if it comes from the rear, turning might not make it go away. Does your car vibrate at those speed? Wheel bearing took me three days. Use a torque driver to get the screws from the hub out and not a regular drill and screw. It requires a hydralic tool that presses out the bearing. Using the torque driver and knowing someone with the hydralic press will allow you to finish it in one day. And source the parts first and if doing the front, it'll be a good time to change your lower ball joints and honda only sells the whole hub assembly which is around 300. And don't buy autozone ball joints cuz they are shorter than the oem ones. I got mine from oriellys. I took mine and compared it.
    Not the rear bearings, they are integral to the hubs, they are completely bolton. 181$ on-line

yea rear wheel bearings should take no more than about 10-15 mins to put on with the proper tools

are the rear hubs the same on a 04

yes, they are

Quote Originally Posted by The new Paul03 View Post
    are the rear hubs the same on a 04
    No the hubs are not, i am assuming you have a 03' from your screen name, 02'-03'=4lug, 04'+=5lug

i didnt even catch that

Dont want to start a new thread but I need to replace my from passenger side wheel bearing. Could I save my self $150 and only buy the bearing and get it pressed in? Would a bad bearing cause damage to the hub assembly? Also, would this be the right part? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...=95368_0_1651_

Thread Information