Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

225/45/17 on a 17x7 wheel, is tire too wide?

I need to replace my Sumitomo HTR ZIII's and I'm looking to go up to 225 from 215/45/17 on my 17x7 wheel. I know it will fit since 225 is the widest you can go for a 7" width wheel but I heard there might be some downsides.

I'm looking to get (theres a $60 rebate when you buy all 4 too!): Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110

This will help fill up some fender/tire gap since I'm currently on HFP suspension and the drop is only ~.75in

Any reason to not do it?

i think youll be ok, i ran 225/50 on stockies with no problem

The only thing to think of is how the tire will inflate. If you're looking for more grip width is the way to go, but with the narrower wheel you might cause the tire to round out. Depending on the tire and the wheel this may or may not be a problem. Just something to think about. Right now i'm rockin 205 on my 17x7's cuz that's what was on there when I bought them, I'm planning on going 215 when I replace rubber, I'm avoiding 225 for the possibility of reduced grip. I'd love to see how 225 works on 7 wide, i don't think you'll have rubbing issues if you're not slammed.

17x7 +42 225/45/17 General Exclaim UHP. Stock alignment settings. The rear is really close to the non-rolled rear fender, but it's been working really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    The only thing to think of is how the tire will inflate. If you're looking for more grip width is the way to go, but with the narrower wheel you might cause the tire to round out. Depending on the tire and the wheel this may or may not be a problem. Just something to think about. Right now i'm rockin 205 on my 17x7's cuz that's what was on there when I bought them, I'm planning on going 215 when I replace rubber, I'm avoiding 225 for the possibility of reduced grip. I'd love to see how 225 works on 7 wide, i don't think you'll have rubbing issues if you're not slammed.
    the ratio of tire to wheel width isnt drastic enough for this to be an issue. I've run both 215' and 225's on 7 inch wheels and by far the 225's performed better. (both sizes were Dunlop Direzza Star Specs) just kudos to the op for makimizing the wire his wheel could bear. no stretching nonsense..

Thanks for the confidence booster, I'm going to go 225 as well then when i burn up these skinny things

Thanks for the input! I'll be ordering those Hankooks if I don't find anything local that can beat the value.

i ran 225 45 16 with falken azenis on a 7 inch wide wheel and i was real low with non rolled fenders. every once and a while it rubbed but nothing crazy just set a lil camber and never looked back.

It all depends on the backspacing as to whether the rear lip will need to be addressed.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    It all depends on the backspacing as to whether the rear lip will need to be addressed.
    Are you referring to the offset? If so, the offset for my wheels are +42.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Not too sure about fender clearance but I have 235/45/17's on my front 17x7" rims.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Not too sure about fender clearance but I have 235/45/17's on my front 17x7" rims.
    Do you have a picture? I want to go a wider on the fronts too, but I wasn't sure about a 235 on a 7."

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    i went 245/45/17 in the rear of my supra with a 7" rim.. it had lappage tho.. but def had str8 line grip.. these were Nitto's

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerBallZ View Post
    Do you have a picture? I want to go a wider on the fronts too, but I wasn't sure about a 235 on a 7."
    Check my Members Ride thread. Any of the pics after I painted my Ep3 Matte Black have 235/45's on them.

I'm actually in the market for new tires as well and had my eye on the same hankooks. Currently i'm rocking the 06 Si rims (17x7) with an HFP suspension. I think these are a 45 offset. So I was hoping someone chimed in on whether or not the rear fender need to be rolled. I think I'll try then anyway and if they rub then I'll roll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information