Close

Skunk2 MegaPower Race Header now available for the EP3!

Well I don't work at Skunk2 but the prototype header that was tested on my EP3 way back when is finally in production. I was very happy with the results when we tested the prototype so I figured it was worth sharing. I know people will go on about "Well this header is better" and all the "Junk2" mumbo jumbo but the truth is this thing makes great power. On the old K20A3 I gained close to 30 Wheel Horsepower with this header and a tune on K-Pro. It is pretty much stock A2 power on an A3.

So before everyone goes "Looks great but where are the dyno numbers?" I will post the dyno numbers up first and then the pictures:

Baseline is 142 whp/120 wtq

After adding the header and tuning it on K-Pro we came up with about 170 whp/130 wtq

That is a solid gain of about 28 whp and 10 wtq!

And here are pictures as taken from the Skunk2 website:

One thing you will notice is that the welds are extremely clean (robotically TIG welded) and not just gooped up all over the place like the budget headers.

You will also need a solid rear motor mount to keep this header from banging the chassis and/or rocking forward and having a pulley rub a hole in your coolant reservoir (Which I learned the hard way).

And so what is the cost? You are looking in the Buddy Club Race Header Range as MSRP is listed at $836.84. This puts it between the high end headers which go for about $1200 and the cheap budget ones that go for about $400. Here is the link to the website: http://cms.skunk2.com/id/607/02-06-R...aPower-Header/

And again, I am not working for Skunk2 nor did they give me a kick down for posting this. I just figured it was worth mentioning to the community since I was personally impressed with the results.

On the A3 with the Skunk2 header and K-Pro (On top of the usual exhaust and SRI) you will be able to go toe to toe with most RSX-Ss and 06+ Sis.

And one more thing, if you have any questions, ask Skunk2 not me.

thats pretty clean. it kinda sounds like your saying the BCRH is $835.84, not the Skunk2. I had to read that a few times.

i wanna see measurements.
    Last edited by AKEP; 11-23-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    thats pretty clean. it kinda sounds like your saying the BCRH is $835.84, not the Skunk2. I had to read that a few times.

i wanna see measurements.
    Just saying it is in the same ballpark in terms of cost. For example ClubRSX is selling both headers. The Buddy Club header is selling for 769.00 shipped with free header wrap and the Skunk2 header for 797.00 shipped (though they are out of stock on the Skunk2 already). And in terms of measurements...??? Gotta ask Skunk2 but it does not look to be a direct bolt on to the stock exhaust since the outlet is 2.5". There should be an adapter flange, gasket, and defouler kit to make the installation a little easier as well as an adapter piece that makes it compatible with the RSX but then again I haven't actually seen the production piece in person yet.
    Last edited by JIYAKKU; 11-23-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Updates

It does look to be very well made, cant wait to see how it does on an engine. I had a email this morning with the complete rundown and pics, along with the usual release info. Though the affordable statement by Skunk2 is debatable, the price really is not out of line with a comparable header.

It looks like there is another great option for those who want to make power and are not willing to settle for a budget header.

This header, their mani and stg3 cams on a 13:1 k20A2, should really scoot right along!
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Nice!
    If you were having rubbing problems with the A3, does that mean this won't work with the (taller) K24s?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    If you were having rubbing problems with the A3, does that mean this won't work with the (taller) K24s?
    I don't recall having any rubbing issues in terms of the header itself. It actually had great clearance all the way around. The problem was with the engine rocking due to soft motor mounts but that was easily solved with a rear Hasport mount. Not sure if the header was ever tested on a K24 variant of any kind so that remains to be seen.

in to see how this compares to the bcrh

Hows the sound and tone since installing it? I have a 2 1/5' exhaust and an intake on my EP now and I'm very happy with the nice, deep, sound that it has. I'm thinking about picking these up but I'm wondering if it will change this. If it gets deeper or something along that line then its a definate buy for me but I don't want the ricey, high pitched sound from my car

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper27 View Post
    Hows the sound and tone since installing it? I have a 2 1/5' exhaust and an intake on my EP now and I'm very happy with the nice, deep, sound that it has. I'm thinking about picking these up but I'm wondering if it will change this. If it gets deeper or something along that line then its a definate buy for me but I don't want the ricey, high pitched sound from my car
    It will definitely be louder and you will have a pronounced exhaust smell as well. In terms of ricier sound, that is probably more subjective than anything but if you are talking like a D17 with a Pep Boys bolt on muffler and an automatic transmission then No, it doesn't sound anything like that.

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Leave the single cams out of this ! Lol. Header looks awesome... to bad I have no use for it

Quote Originally Posted by JIYAKKU View Post
    It will definitely be louder and you will have a pronounced exhaust smell as well. In terms of ricier sound, that is probably more subjective than anything but if you are talking like a D17 with a Pep Boys bolt on muffler and an automatic transmission then No, it doesn't sound anything like that.
    Haha, that exactly what I was talking about. I hate it when a car drives by me and it sounds like a freakin misquito. But I've used Skunk2 on previous cars and its been good so I'll probably give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    Leave the single cams out of this ! Lol.
    Yeah, you are right. They have it bad as is, no need to put salt in the wounds. Though the guys at Bisimoto have shown that the single cam engines like the F22 out of the old Accords and Preludes do have potential.

this sucks as soon as i get out of the all motor world
    Last edited by flickoff613; 01-23-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onasty View Post
    this sucks as soon as i get out of the all motor world
    I hear you!!!

very nice header

Thread Information