Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So my Ep finally bit the dust...

I have recently joined the site and was amazed at how much information was available here. But unfortunately, today, my Ep3 bites the dust at 356k Kms.

I was driving normally, just gradually accelerating when suddenly, the engine lost all power, all the dash lights went on... then it stalled. Pulled over using my remaining momentum and tried to start it again but no luck. I can hear the starter trying hard to turn over.. maybe 2-3 times, then it gave up. Tried it again a few hours later, still the same results. I know it is not a battery problem, everything is on, and the fan was working fine.

Now, I am aware of the following issues before this happened:

-Very noisy engine, probably needed a valve adjustment pretty bad
    -Serpentine belt is a bit worn and noisy as well
    -Experienced ONE time of the "supercharger" like whine from the belt area, possibly a tensioner telling me it might be dying soon
    -It's got 356k kms (obvious)

Now, I am wondering, if the tensioner, or the pulleys for the accessories seized up, would that kill the engine on the spot? possibly making my car unable to start as well? The belt is fine, the tension on the belt is fine as well. I am just not sure what may have caused this, it just seemed to sudden to me.

I am not too sure what I can do at this point, but I have been calling around for replacement A3 (I am not really into performance, and I think the stock A3 is good enough for my daily needs). That is most likely the route I will go but for the time being, what do you guys think could have caused this?

Thanks!

timing chain tensioner failure, happened to me when i was just leaving a stop sign at normal speed

That's a bummer:( My car just died too. The bright side is I got an ep3!

sooo, have you started checking anything yet?

Holy crap that's a lot of mileage on the ep3. Any current pictures of the car?

yea thats lot of mileage

holy moly
    where the hell have u been driving around to? lol

Quote Originally Posted by RHCP0801 View Post
    timing chain tensioner failure, happened to me when i was just leaving a stop sign at normal speed
    Bah, that does seem likely but I have yet to open the valve cover to see the inside. I am hoping it's fairly in tact. By the way, I did not hear any knocking or sound of metal colliding, just a very abrupt stall.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    sooo, have you started checking anything yet?
    I am way too busy with school and final exams right now, but I will be working on the car during my 3 week break. I will take pictures then for you guys to see

Quote Originally Posted by Type_R_Nammer View Post
    Holy crap that's a lot of mileage on the ep3. Any current pictures of the car?
    Hey hey ! I recognize this name from revscene, you are the one with the del sol right?

Last edited by chucki; 12-06-2010 at 04:01 PM.

By the way, for those who live in Vancouver, BC. Where do you guys recommend for finding a replacement engine? I called JK japanese auto parts but I heard they are not that great in service, what do you guys recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by chucki View Post
    By the way, for those who live in Vancouver, BC. Where do you guys recommend for finding a replacement engine? I called JK japanese auto parts but I heard they are not that great in service, what do you guys recommend?
    try calling evogarage i think they have a engine for sale there

You kno it might be the timing chain that went bad if you never replaced it. if it breaks, your timing goes out giving you that bad stalling but maybe not metal "symphony" haha then again if it broke, most likely it screwed the head to pieces

Quote Originally Posted by GooseTKD08 View Post
    You kno it might be the timing chain that went bad if you never replaced it. if it breaks, your timing goes out giving you that bad stalling but maybe not metal "symphony" haha then again if it broke, most likely it screwed the head to pieces
    Yeah I hope it's not that, but it does sound quite likely. I will be opening up the valve cover to check things out in a couple days and I might be able to post some pictures as well.

hey man
    wish u best of luck with ur car and school
    check this one out

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...027501899.html

i think its retty cheap for an engine.. id rather buy it from a person than a junkyard... cuz the junkyard has no clue where its been

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information