Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic review

I just switched to this yesterday to see if the mpg claims are true so i will keep you guys posted if i see an increase over my usual numbers. I noticed the motor sounds more quiet so maybe the low friction weight is doing its job. I havent noticed any performance loss either. I have been pulling 26mpg spirited mix driving, and 28 mpg regular mix driving so if this puts me at 30 i will be pleased.

Ordinarily I wouldn't comment on someone's engine oil choice, simply because EP3 owners seem to have fixed opinions WRT their engine oil choices, as reflected by this board. That said, IMHO back-specing an EP3 (or any Honda, for that matter) to a lighter weight oil in anticipation of a potential gas mileage increase may not be such a good idea.

As I'm sure you know, Honda recommended 5W-20 weight oil to ensure its fleet-wide MPG average would meet (and exceed) an EPA standard. Honda did that to receive millions of dollars in Federal funds (tax incentives) and to avoid similar fines for failing to meet those standards. That weight oil is fine if you drive conservatively, as most Honda owners do. (Auto tranny, 2K-3K rpm, etc.) However, as you also likely know, HMC continues to recommend 5W-30 weight oil for all of higher performance K-series motors (and 10W-30/10W-40 for the S2ks). Only the latter weights are HT/HS HTO-06 certified or capable of meeting that standard. Also, going from 26 or 28 mpg to 30 mpg via an engine-oil weight change -- i.e., 5-10% mpg gains -- would be considerably more than what HMC has been able to achieve in the past 10 years with regearing and compression ratio changes. As an alternative, short-shifting will net you what you want without the potential for camshaft galling or, eventually, piston slap.
    Last edited by Mechanic; 12-08-2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: typo

You will be replacing the engine in short order using that worthless swill!
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

idk i switch from royal purple to mobil 1 and i dont like it i can like feel my engine more it dont feel smooth when i press the gas pedal. :( Im gonna try Eneos next oil change

get a used oil analysis afterwards

I seen and felt a significant difference in engine performance going from a mobil1 to Royal Purple and Amsoil. The Govt may allow mobil1 to be labled as a synthetic, but it is far from a true synthetic.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

mobil 1 oil is such trash...i run redline and its fantastic
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

nothing bad is going to happen to the motor, and if it does ill get another one. mobil one is good oil, still testing.

Quote Originally Posted by VividSI View Post
    nothing bad is going to happen to the motor, and if it does ill get another one. mobil one is good oil, still testing.
    To get another 1 mpg are you willing to shorten the motor's life? I'm really big on mpg but I wouldn't use the stuff. You might do a little research first on Honda forums and http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/.

The 2011 Acura TSX K series and J series motor has switched to it claiming less friction and +1mpg city and highway. besides that mobil one's website said for my motor 5w20 and 0w20 are safe and it covers warranty protection for Honda. If anything it will increase the engine life as Acura claims but i have yet to prove its worth to permanently switch, its probably not enough of a increase to make a big deal, driving style has more of an impact but i will post my numbers when i get them.

muther fuck. i keep clicking the wrong button to post....

anywho, i think someone said that its a flush oil, meaning, to flush out the engine of old oil between oil changes. I ran it once and it would drink it like i drink tea. make sure you check the oil level everytime you drive, just to make sure you dont run too low.

yea it did look almost like water, i must have burned some up in the higher revs because it lost quite a bit and there are no leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by VividSI View Post
    The 2011 Acura TSX K series and J series motor has switched to it claiming less friction and +1mpg city and highway. besides that mobil one's website said for my motor 5w20 and 0w20 are safe and it covers warranty protection for Honda. If anything it will increase the engine life as Acura claims but i have yet to prove its worth to permanently switch, its probably not enough of a increase to make a big deal, driving style has more of an impact but i will post my numbers when i get them.
    You apparently are sitting too low in your chair because the advice you have been given clearly is going over your head.

Of course Honda (and its Acura subsidiary) are recommending lighter weight oils for most (but not all) of the engines the company now manufactures. Honda must do this in order to continue to achieve specific fleetwide fuel-mileage quotas. Failing to meet those federally mandated quotas would cost Honda literally millions of dollars in federal tax credits. (By the way, the credits that HMC doesn't use, it sells for additional millions of dollars. Can you now begin to understand why the company would not be concerned about a few hundred -- or even several thousand -- oil-related warranty claims?) Moreover, to comply with the law, Honda is required to recommend 5W-20 weight oil for specific federally-certified engine series. Don't take my word for this, read the EPA regulations.

Clearly the entire automobile industry is going to ever more light-weight oils in order to achieve greater fuel mileage. That's not the issue. The issue here is whether a 5W-30 weight oil provides more protection against camshaft galling, for example, than a 0W-20 or a 5W-20 weight. Fortunately, we don't have to speculate about this fact: Honda continues to specify 5W-30 oils for all of its higher performance k-series engines, and 10W-30/10W-40 for the S2k and 5W-30 weight synthetic oil for the turbocharged RDX). The reason is simple enough to understand: HMC continues to do this is because any 5W-30 weight oil has much greater HT/HS viscosity than any 0W-20 or 5W-20 weight oil.

Can you get away with what you are doing? Probably. It is worth the risk for, at best, one mpg? You apparently think so. You also apparently think that Honda or the Mobil Oil Company will come to your relief if you are wrong and some component in your six- or seven-year-old motor gives up the ghost. Again, you may be correct. Personally, I doubt it. In any event, this seems like a foolish experiment, and from what I've read here I doubt that anyone other than you is interested in the results.
    Last edited by Mechanic; 12-15-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typo

I can tell you that even when I ran the AMSOIL 5W-20 high end stuff, it did not hold up and I still was changing the oil in 3K miles or sooner. My MPG did not move one way or another and I could tell that the valvetrain noise was louder, so to me it did not seem to be protecting as well. I used the Mobile 1 5w-30 gold cap extended performance for most of the time I owned the car and never had an issue with it. I would just recommend staying away from any of the -20 oils as they are just too light, which has been proven many times. A -30 should be the minimum used.

well the motor is more quiet over 5w20 for sure and it idles better. it almost felt like a new car again because i thought the motor wasnt even running at idle. Im starting to think it was a great move.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information