Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by VividSI View Post
    well the motor is more quiet over 5w20 for sure and it idles better. it almost felt like a new car again because i thought the motor wasnt even running at idle. Im starting to think it was a great move.
    Everytime I change my oil with RP 5W30 I notice it runs better... could it just be due to the fresh oil?
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasTechEP3 View Post
    Canada has the Eh?3 Know what I'm talking aboot?

everytime you change your oil you gain back what HP you gradually lost with the dirty oil

i drove pretty hard on a full tank of 89 octane and got 26mpg. then the next tank with the same fuel with conservative driving was 27mpg. I then got 28mpg on 93 octane and im on another tank of 93 again to check the results. the oil level has been the same so i guess i just had to put more in it after the first drive because it went down to the min level once but its fine now.

still, keep an eye on it. i find my car feels better when its 1qt low. but obviously if i stayed with that idea, my motor would be gone.

lol, so everytime i feel like im making more power, i pour more oil in to it and we're back to normal =[

Vermicious Knid oldschoolimport's Avatar
    My legacy gt was fed a steady diet of mobil 1 for 70 something thousand miles by the original owner. I had consumption issues and used rotella for 6k, til it spun a bearing. Every bearing was down to copper. I will never use mobil 1.

Uh, Wes, you're gonna have to help me follow your logic.

You bought a used Roo w/70k miles. It had gone that distance on Mobil 1 (weight? maintenance history?). You decided to change to Shell Rotella, a diesel motor oil -- and I'm going to guess it was 15W-40 weight oil -- glue, in other words -- and SIX THOUSAND MILES LATER, your gasoline-engine Subaru gave up the ghost. And this you attribute to Mobil 1?

Why?

the damage was already done, it was consuming oil to the sum of a quart every thousand. I went to a thicker oil, which was suggested on the subaru forum, and the consumption didn't change. dobbs02si is building the engine, and he had 3 mobil 1 engines come in the same week with similar wear. one was a GSR with around 5k on it. if you look around, mobil 1 is losing favor with lots of people/places.

according to shellUS, rotella T is suggested for "Gasoline engines, especially the hard-working engines of pick-up trucks, sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), and mini-vans". yes, its primarily for diesels, but not exclusively.

Wes, you know, I'm sure, that Exxon-Mobil -- and, specifically, Mobil 1 -- has roughly 60% of the synthetic oil market. No other oil company comes close. Shell/Pennzoil has about 20%; BP 10%, etc. And a host of major engine manufacturers recommend the stuff specifically by name. (Porsche, Mercedes, Honda, GM, AMG, etc., for more than 40 types of vehicles of all sorts.) It's not an exaggeration to say there are literally millions of cars running on Mobil 1 worldwide (and probably a few thousand running flat out on M1 while I'm typing this). Thus, when someone offers an anecdotal example of an engine problem that his mechanic has tied that a particular oil, any oil, it's difficult (for me at least) to conclude that the problem is just the oil. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say its rarely the oil.

But everyone it seems has a favorite oil or one that they detest. Me, I start with viscosity -- specifically, cSt @ 40C and cSt @ 100C. Then I look closely at the HT/HS specifications. And finally the NOACK %. If you do that, I think you'll find that these days all the majors have very similar specs and chemical composition. When I've done it, I can't find a basis for singling out Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinium or Castrol Edge or . . . what's your favorite? . . . as either "the" best or clearly one to avoid. Specific weights to avoid in a particular application, yes. But by major brand, no.

But I don't think that M1 did in your Roo. The prior owner might have, but it's hard to say without knowing what weight oil he used, how often he changed it, how he drove the car, etc. But that still doesn't account for the failure you described -- every bearing down to the copper -- after 6k miles on Rotella T. Just a hunch, but I think you also had a fuel/oil dilution problem, or worse, periods of outright oil starvation, that ultimately did in your engine.
    Last edited by Mechanic; 12-30-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Either way, I knew I was headed for a rebuild, just off the oil consumption. I was trying to postpone the inevitable. The 15-40 is a recommended alternate weight for subarus with oil consumption issues. Oh well. Either way, its being rebuilt. I guess its just coincidental the other mobil 1 engines puking the same week. There are more opinions on oil than there are brands and weights. I just know what I will and won't buy.

last fill up with 93 octane was 26.78mpg with normal driving conditions. Shell 93 granted me slightly better mpg than chevron 93 a little over 1mpg when comparing 2 fill ups of each brand. I still managed to hit 28mpg on M1 5w20 synthetic so im betting 0w20 has little to no advantage other than smoother operation for the K20A3. and the fact that its a rare oil and hard to find makes it easier to go back to M1 5w20. Now I know what its all about. Acura is also saying its not just the oil that has changed for the TSX but it has different piston rings and more under body panels for aerodynamics so im sure that is what help makes the +1 mpg increase. Man,, a 2011 TSX V6 Tech sounds pretty amazing but the price is another story.

5w20 is for fuel economy only. Crap for protection. I use Amsoil 10w30 year round. Or eneos. Whatever I can get my hands on easier.

subscribed... I'd love to see a oil analysis of the 0w20 when it's at the end of it's run.

Vivid, original owner? What year, miles & mods are on your EP3?...

I have been changing my oil every 3k with mobil 1 5w20 and just changed it today with royal purple 5w20..should I notice a difference? If so what kind? I don't push my car hard and use 89 octaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 631 View Post
    subscribed... I'd love to see a oil analysis of the 0w20 when it's at the end of it's run.

Vivid, original owner? What year, miles & mods are on your EP3?...
    im not doing an oil analysis, yes, 04, 115,000, hondata reflash, CAI, Comptech header, High flow cat, tanabe exhaust, denso spark plugs, hondata heat sheild.

Quote Originally Posted by EPo3Hatch View Post
    I have been changing my oil every 3k with mobil 1 5w20 and just changed it today with royal purple 5w20..should I notice a difference? If so what kind? I don't push my car hard and use 89 octaine.
    i think that too often, 3,500 should be min and 5,000 should be max especially if you using mobil 1 because its really good oil.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information