Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

how many quarts of oil?

anyone know how many quarts of oil the car takes? my engine started running rough and pulled into the gas station and no oil!

put in 3 quarts and all ok, but how many more should I put in assuming it was bone dry?

from auto class back in the day, i was thinking 4-5?

5 qts

anywhere from 4.4 to 5 quarts

A dry, freshly built engine takes 6.7 quarts. A oil change is 4.7 quarts. That is with a stock oil filter, install a S2k filter and you will need about 5 quarts for the oil change.

Check your oil level at EVERY fuel stop per the owners manual. The VTC and VTEC systems require a VERY high oil pressure, this oil pressure creates alot of oil mist as the oil exits the main and rod bearings. This misted/vaporized oil is drawn through the PCV valve into the intake and is burned off. Some oil's are affected by this condition more than others and when the car is driven hard, the oil level will drop significantly in only a thousand miles or so.

NEVER take the oil level check after the engine has been sitting for awhile as gospel, it must be checked within 30-60 seconds of engine shut down or the oil can flow out of the main oil galleys and distort the actual oil level reading.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

damn you had to add 3qts of oil?

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    A dry, freshly built engine takes 6.7 quarts. A oil change is 4.7 quarts. That is with a stock oil filter, install a S2k filter and you will need about 5 quarts for the oil change.

Check your oil level at EVERY fuel stop per the owners manual. The VTC and VTEC systems require a VERY high oil pressure, this oil pressure creates alot of oil mist as the oil exits the main and rod bearings. This misted/vaporized oil is drawn through the PCV valve into the intake and is burned off. Some oil's are affected by this condition more than others and when the car is driven hard, the oil level will drop significantly in only a thousand miles or so.

NEVER take the oil level check after the engine has been sitting for awhile as gospel, it must be checked within 30-60 seconds of engine shut down or the oil can flow out of the main oil galleys and distort the actual oil level reading.
    Awesome information for people to actually read and understand. i wish everyone actually took the time to read.
    be jealous :P

good for the owners tht have a manual. thnks for sharing the info. bump

Just did an oil change about 20 min ago and I put 5 qts in with a K&N oil filter. On a side note tho, when I drain out my oil I always just put it back in the empty oil qts and take it to autozone for them to recycle, this time tho I noticed that I was about 1 1/4 qts low. This is kinda odd compared with how it's been in the past. Would this low of a level cause any damage to my engine? I also drained the catch can and it was about a third of the way full which, once again isn't typical. Maybe my engine is burning more oil?

Getting on it hard will vaporize a bunch off.
    Last edited by EVOKIN; 02-17-2009 at 07:44 PM.

This may be an ignorant question, but i figured it took a while for the oil to settle to get an accurate reading? I always put 4.5qts with a new filter and never check it untill next oil change. Ive never heard of oil/ mists evaporating. I guess I'll check it more frequently. Thanks for the info.

does a dry engine really take almost 7 quarts of oil i never knew that i always used 4.5 to 5 quarts at the most on 4bangers

Talon, what about a cold motor? How long does it need to run before shutting down to check?

Yes a brand new fresh engine out of the box will require almost 7 quarts of oil, and that is not during a oil change but a NIB fresh engine. All that extra oil sits in nooks and crannies, in the main galley, in the pump reservoirs etc, it cant drain back. The oil level between cold and warm oil will only measure the expansion of the oil itself as it heats up for the most part in a engine, but you should always check it within a few minutes of shut down warm or cold to ensure the oil gallies/filter are full and not drained back into the pan.

The Honda Kseries engines produce very high oil pressures during higher rpm useage at the main and rod bearings as they are prior to the VTC and VTEC systems which requires high oil pressures to operate. When this oil is forced out of the main/rod bearings it is under about twice the pressure seen in other engines, this causes the oil to mist/vaporize and is drawn thru the PCV into the intake mani and the majority is burned off and a smaller amount collects in the mani(remove the lower cover of the IM and a bunch of oil will be present). Installing a oil seperator between the PCV and the mani will collect all that oil, you will be amazed at how much is collected!!!!
    Last edited by talonXracer; 09-03-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bao_pay View Post
    put in 3 quarts and all ok, but how many more should I put in assuming it was bone dry

woah woah woah,.. you added 3 quarts? did you check to make sure you actually needed that much and that your between the 2 dots on your dipstick? there is such a thing as too much oil.

Yes a brand new fresh engine out of the box will require almost 7 quarts of oil, and that is not during a oil change but a NIB fresh engine. All that extra oil sits in nooks and crannies, in the main galley, in the pump reservoirs etc, it cant drain back. The oil level between cold and warm oil will only measure the expansion of the oil itself as it heats up for the most part in a engine, but you should always check it within a few minutes of shut down warm or cold to ensure the oil gallies/filter are full and not drained back into the pan.

The Honda Kseries engines produce very high oil pressures during higher rpm useage at the main and rod bearings as they are prior to the VTC and VTEC systems which requires high oil pressures to operate. When this oil is forced out of the main/rod bearings it is under about twice the pressure seen in other engines, this causes the oil to mist/vaporize and is drawn thru the PCV into the intake mani and the majority is burned off and a smaller amount collects in the mani(remove the lower cover of the IM and a bunch of oil will be present). Installing a oil seperator between the PCV and the mani will collect all that oil, you will be amazed at how much is collected!!!!
    I have heard this discussed before but never in this amount of depth. Thanks for the good info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information