Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How To: Remove your OEM seat belt buckle when installing a Bucket seat and or Harness

Hey guys, this is a how to on replacing your SRS pre tensioner/OEM seatbelt buckle with a non SRS unit for use with an aftermarket bucket seat or when using harnesses. Using this how-to will allow you to remove the unit while still keeping the rest of the SRS system functional, and will turn off the seatbelt light on the gauge cluster.

The reason for replacing this unit is that it cannot be properly and safely mounted on a bucket seat due to the mounting not being the same as our stock seats. Also, at least with my seat (Memoryfab S68) the OEM buckle is far too high to be able to pass the oem belt through the right side harness hole so the belt is tight against my waist.

In case you guys are having this same issue you can use a driver or passenger side male buckle from a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8. Im not sure what other buckles will work but from what Ive seen no other non SRS Honda female buckles will work with the EP3 male buckle.

Here is the EP3 male buckle vs. the Evo 8 buckle...

Now onto the wiring...

*Always disconnect your battery before doing any work on the SRS system*

*If for some reason you need to reset your SRS light here is a How-To on doing so - http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...ight=reset+srs

You can either do what I did and make a plug and play jumper with the female side of the plug or you can simply stick some leads into the male plug. I prefer making it look and function as close to OEM as possible.

I started with the SRS plug. All you need to do with this (and bypassing pretty much any SRS component) is jump it with a 2.2 ohm resistor. This plug is mounted to the bottom of the seat.

Next up are the leads for the buckle itself (ground, seatbelt light signal, and SRS signal).
    You will need to remove the dash light lead (center lead - blue/red tracer) and jump the SRS lead (left lead - red/blue tracer) to ground (black). This plug will be mounted beside the SRS plug.

And here we go... Both jumpers installed. Nice and clean!

Tucked away!

very nice write up! so, any 2.2 ohm resistor would work to bypass an srs component? i have an after market wheel and i would love to shut the srs light off.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Quote Originally Posted by usedep3 View Post
    very nice write up! so, any 2.2 ohm resistor would work to bypass an srs component? i have an after market wheel and i would love to shut the srs light off.
    Thanks! And yes all Honda SRS components supply a 2.2ohm resistance for the system check when you turn the key to the on position. All you would have to do is unplug the yellow connector for the airbag and jump it with the resistor. If you cant find resistors let me know. I had a hard time finding the 2.2's but luckily a buddy of mine had a bunch of them laying around and hooked me up.

I transferred my seat belt assembly to my rsx type-s leathers. Can i still do this if im using the stock seat belt assembly? I dont really underatand this but id like the rest of my airbags to still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I transferred my seat belt assembly to my rsx type-s leathers. Can i still do this if im using the stock seat belt assembly? I dont really underatand this but id like the rest of my airbags to still work.
    This is only if youre not able to or dont want to run the stock seat belt. If you just transferred your stock buckle to the RSX seat then you can just plug it in and it will work the same as stock.

ephatch member
    As always great job!

Quote Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE View Post
    This is only if youre not able to or dont want to run the stock seat belt. If you just transferred your stock buckle to the RSX seat then you can just plug it in and it will work the same as stock.
    I plugged it in and the light wont reset.

yeah. This ^^^

ephatch member
    I think you need to go through the process of resetting the light.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the light doesn't reset by itself once it has been activated.

Yup a reset will have to happen if your light was on prior to the install.

give a reset and you should be all set.
    be jealous :P

Yup this doesnt automatically reset the light, you will have to do that manually via the link I included in the OP. It can be tricky, if you dont do it just right it doesnt work. I actually made a little jumper out of an extra plug I had so I could just clip it on and off easily to do the reset. (I had to do it a bunch of times when I was experimenting with the 3 wire plug)

Tried the reset, no luck. And i know it worked because it flashed saying it was successful.

Can you make me one for my steering wheel I need to turn the light off....

Tried the reset, no luck. And i know it worked because it flashed saying it was successful.
    If you did exactly what I did then it will work. You must be missing something somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by civictype_r04 View Post
    Can you make me one for my steering wheel I need to turn the light off....
    Im going to make a trip to the junkyard this week and see if I can get some more plugs. If I can then Ill make some up and let you know!

No because ive reset it before and it was fine. Maybe theres somethin wrong somewhere else. I guess ill worry about it when the time comes. Shes sittin in the backyard with a grenaded 48k mile a3:(

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information