Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

DIY: custom cold air stock airbox

i know a few people have posted about this and also asked me to post some pics a few months ago. i got a little busy and just didnt have to time so im going to post some pics for them.i apologize for taking so long for the guys with questions.

Thumbs up

I'd never actually seen pictures of this, cool.

Pretty neat, gonna try it out sometime in the spring

Whoa that looks radical. So you've cut a hole in your bumper and run your pipe to that? I'd imagine all sorts of shit getting in their making your engine bay and filter dirty faster.

I think he routed it to the drivers side bumper, and just took off the side-marker to let it breathe more.

thanks. it works great i dont suck up any water tho i do suck up leaves and dirt occasionally.i also have a spoon air filter now, but i didnt when i first made this. i get better torque keeping the airbox in but get better mid and top end with the cold air tube. i had to cut up the battery shroud and shove it out of the way but the tube keeps the battery from moving around. i think the tube was 10 dollars or 15. i used the stock airtube to use for the velocity stack in the bumper since it angled to the opening.i have 2 ideas im going to work on soon. 1 of them is making a piece that actually fits into the sidemarker light hole that goes directly up the tube instead of it sitting inside. as for the engine bay getting dirty. it really doesnt get any dirtier than normal. although my engine bay gets cleaned once a month it doesnt get bad. ill posts some pics of that to.

This is a cool idea, I'd actually thought about getting a CF hood with louvers and routing a duct to one of those.
    Some mods to think about: The hondata airbox mod, and maybe getting some type of screen to cover the sidemarker hole to filter out the large stuff.

i have the hondata mod but if you look at the 5th picture youll see that i capped the hole off so the air doesnt route into that section of the box and it all goes directly to the filter. and the screen ive thought about to.i plan on doing that as well.. and the hood with louvres. i have a 93 sedan and a spare hood that i had actually cut and welded custom scoops for each side of the hood and one of them goes right over the intake. but since i could only spot weld each spot and had alot of fiberglassing to do the project ended up falling thru and i just stopped. but it looked sweet in the process.

so do you have the air box cut open or not? its a lot like the air box mod with cold air that the ctr owners club was doing. ive got a piece of vinal tubing that goes from the opening of the air box to the cut out next to the battery. i just wish i could hear the intake more. i think for that i might have to do something to the top end of the air box.

no. that pic is just to show i have the 2nd chamber blocked off. the whole airbox is together though. the reason you cant hear it is beacuse its not an open element air filter. i can hear the intake sucking if i get down beside it and put my ear by the opeining. butif you want the intake sound to hear youll have to go open element intake.. nothing you do to the airbox is actualy going to give you the intake sound. tthat your looking for. im just trying to make it more efficient at high rpms like an intake while keeping the mid/low range power of the box at low rpms.

Looks good.
    Where did you get the hose ?
    Would it be the same as this ( http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.8741 )

yep the 3 inch ducting is what i got. got it from advance auto. like 15 dollars i think.

awesome idea man!!!!

thanks. it works really well. although the engine bay doesnt look quite as "cool" wihtout some colored or polished intake. i still like it.

I did this mod after seeing your write-up and I love it! It makes better, more consistent power throughout the powerband. I am just wondering if you have thought about doing the Hondata air box mod with it. Do you think it would add any significant power? I don't want to cut up the stock air box if I dont absolutely have to.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information