Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hey guys, just some food for thought that puts alot of misconceptions to rest...

Last year i did an oem airbox test with a stock unit, hondata modded unit, and my own Iteration which is a Hondata mod with reliefs cut in the lower panels to experiment with more direct air flow.

Here is my custom version:

Had the scan tool up for live data to make sure coolant temp and air intake temp were the same for each pull.

The results speak for themselves... Stock box made massive torque over both modded units and gained a little horsepower over the whole curve. It was a hot muggy day so the numbers we saw were pretty low (car made 132 on the same dyno with the shg box the previous spring) Im sure adding more cool air would have made it perform even better.

Dotted green line - Stock
    Dashed green line- Hondata mod
    Yellow line - SHG/Hondata mod

Im going to do a cool air duct but ill be routing it down in front of the trans to a NACA duct in the splash shield. Ill also be putting a bypass filter in the hose to prevent sucking up water.

Quote Originally Posted by SHG_EasyE View Post
    Im going to do a cool air duct but ill be routing it down in front of the trans to a NACA duct in the splash shield. Ill also be putting a bypass filter in the hose to prevent sucking up water.
    Great information. I currently have a custom CAI with my k24a2 but have been pondering the install of an airbox style intake such as an ARC, Mugen or stock /w cold air pipe like you mention. I've been trying to research the pros and cons of airbox's vs. tube based intakes so any information you can shed based on your experiences would be great.

What designs are used in racing? How should length and diameter be determined? For box intakes I read an article that showed adding directional air vanes created 12% better air flow...

in comparison to the AEM V2 i say there was a definite bump in low end torque with the stock air box (hondata mod). i wonder how much was gained up top with the intake...

I was browsing Real Time Racing's Facebook page and they had a sneak peak video of their GTS class TSX with V6. I watched the video and noticed they use a tube intake with an airbox sandwiched in-between so I asked this question...

"Curious, why does RTR use an airbox vs a tube based intake running to a colder air source? My understanding is tube intake make better power. Is this due to rules or something else?"

in which Peter Cunnigham responded...

"We've found this set up to be best for us. If we didn't believe it, we wouldn't run it this way..."

Most interesting. They don't do this because of any rules. This is their choice of intake.

I would love to understand why.. I may build something similar for the EP.

Attachment 5822

that looks pretty interesting... kinda reminds me of a compressed version of the comptech intake for our cars... i doubt thats a production model...

a quick little update: i got my K&N filter... i was thinking about that spectere hose while i was at it since i had 20bucks on my autozone rewards card lol. i just used it on the filter itself tho, 30 bucks for a K&N FTW! im going to a hardware store to see if i can find some dryer hose for cheap- should work just as well plus a little bling haha. im thinking of just routing the hose to the front grill and scrapping the whole velocity stack plan- keep it simple and cheap.

decided to hold on to the AEM v2 intake too. maybe one day ill slap it on for kicks...

Update:
    While shopping around I found that RV waste hose would work perfect... 3in diam, steel coil reenforced and only cost like 7 bucks for 20ft! I decided to hold off still- I don't want to have 17ft of RV waste hose around the house for no reason lol. I found a 10 ft for 5 but it was brown... The search continues! Pics when done!!

On another note... I was trying to find somewhere to route the new duct... I'm not sure it'll fit where I thought it would.. I'm gonna have to take a better look: routing the duct like a CIA may be the way to go

needs moar boost
    Last edited by Tougeep3; 03-17-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    I've always liked this custom air pickup for the stock airbox....

On some of the minikara pages from the Japanese "Ep3 Lovers" you can see they also use heat reflective tape on the outside of their airbox.

*Neither are Ep3/RSX airbox pics, but you get the idea*

Love the heat reflective tape idea, i did the same thing for my SRI when the radiator hose was touching the tubing.

ive seen s2k boxes with insulation too... looks kinda eh, but if it works...
    i wouldnt go that far on a stock box on a ep3, maybe with a k24a2 swap lol

Quote Originally Posted by EP3Lov3 View Post
    Love the heat reflective tape idea, i did the same thing for my SRI when the radiator hose was touching the tubing.
    i did the same on my v2 intake : ]

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    that looks pretty interesting... kinda reminds me of a compressed version of the comptech intake for our cars... i doubt thats a production model...

a quick little update: i got my K&N filter... i was thinking about that spectere hose while i was at it since i had 20bucks on my autozone rewards card lol. i just used it on the filter itself tho, 30 bucks for a K&N FTW! im going to a hardware store to see if i can find some dryer hose for cheap- should work just as well plus a little bling haha. im thinking of just routing the hose to the front grill and scrapping the whole velocity stack plan- keep it simple and cheap.

decided to hold on to the AEM v2 intake too. maybe one day ill slap it on for kicks...
    The thinb with the velocity stack is the design looks to make the air transition into the tube better.as opposed to a cut off straight tube.i painted my airbox with black hi temp paint. I thought about the reflective tape. Not sure how i felt about the looks.ive still been tying to think how i can get room to go to the foglight cutout. Anythoughts?

WOW...i thought I had posted a picture of my box in this thread. Its not the best picture, but it still shows the feed and box....

You can see the cold air feed in the picture just slightly.
    I did the whole heat-wrap thing on my box and it makes a decent difference in my intake temps. I just took my box out though and put in a ApexI intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    WOW...i thought I had posted a picture of my box in this thread. Its not the best picture, but it still shows the feed and box....

You can see the cold air feed in the picture just slightly.
    I did the whole heat-wrap thing on my box and it makes a decent difference in my intake temps. I just took my box out though and put in a ApexI intake.
    Where did you get that intake hose from? The one that goes the the top half? Ive been looking for one or making my own fron an ebay intake pipe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information