Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Well, got a decent temp set-up thrown together today.

Only got a couple shots, cuz it was effin' cold! And I was tryin' to get this done before night fall LOL!
    Quick side-by-side comparison:

And the final product:

Going to have to make some adjustments to the harness, it's twisted a little uncomfortably atm, but not a huge deal.
    Basically just trimmed some MDF scrap to size, two pieces each side to fit into the plastic "trim" that was around the old battery. It's basically just bracing against side-to-side movement, with the extra piece of MDF under the tie-down acting to keep everything in place via downward pressure.

I'll update as soon as I can get to my buddies place and get something nice fabbed up!

That's it next to the 51R? Wow, it's sooo... small.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Yeah, shorter in every dimension LOL.
    I like it! Can't wait to fab something up that's more permanent than some MDF crammed down the sides
    Frankly, Odyssey sells some pretty nice mounts and bracket options, but they're pricier than what I wanted to do, so I'm goin' the DIY route.

Well, bumpin' this one
    Quick summary of the story so far;
    Started to notice my headlights flickering, almost randomly, a while back, and started checking out electrical gremlins. Cleaned up the grounds (obviously ), and wound up replacing the battery. Everything was running great for a while, but the flickering is back. Can't pin it down to particular scenario, it just kinda happens on occasion. I'm on the road almost every night, and it pretty much happens at least once every night.
    Still seems to be related to RPM, but back when I discovered the battery was old and weak, the alternator got checked out and seemed to be functioning normally.

So, next batch of ideas?
    My only new clue is that, when the lights are dimming, I've noticed if I rev up over about 3k RPM, they'll brighten back up, but then seem to dim again as soon as I let the needle drop.
    WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    Well, bumpin' this one
    Quick summary of the story so far;
    Started to notice my headlights flickering, almost randomly, a while back, and started checking out electrical gremlins. Cleaned up the grounds (obviously ), and wound up replacing the battery. Everything was running great for a while, but the flickering is back. Can't pin it down to particular scenario, it just kinda happens on occasion. I'm on the road almost every night, and it pretty much happens at least once every night.
    Still seems to be related to RPM, but back when I discovered the battery was old and weak, the alternator got checked out and seemed to be functioning normally.

So, next batch of ideas?
    My only new clue is that, when the lights are dimming, I've noticed if I rev up over about 3k RPM, they'll brighten back up, but then seem to dim again as soon as I let the needle drop.
    WTF?
    wow bro, same thing is happening to me >;( i havent change the battery yet, but that was the next thing, ive cleaned the grounds and nothing, Ive notice that my problem is weirder than yours because the dimming change between bulbs WTF!! Good luck

Damn, lights fallin' off all over! :D
    LMK if you figure anything out man.

I still wonder if a problem with Electronic Load Detector has anything to do with your problem. Not sure exactly what it does, but I know if varies voltage based on alternator output. Maybe Chad knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    I still wonder if a problem with Electronic Load Detector has anything to do with your problem. Not sure exactly what it does, but I know if varies voltage based on alternator output. Maybe Chad knows?
    When the ELD shifts output voltage you will see a slight increase/decrease but nothing radical. I'm kinda perplexed myself. Lemme do some thinking.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Well, one man's "slight" can be another man's "radical" I'll have to look in to that possibility.

Another thing that I'd wondered about was the relays on the conversion harness I'm using to run 04/05 OEM headlights in my 02/03. The harness came from SUVlights, and seems to be well made. But maybe the parts aren't as quality as they should be...
    Though that may have nothing to do with it. After all, it's not just the headlights, but all of the lights that dim/brighten (I can watch the dash lights do this, as well).
    Just some more info for the mill.

I wonder if it's your alternaltor this time. I remember something my mechcanic friend told me last time that when the cars about to die, then gas it and the alternaltor will spin to speed. (something like that; forgot the exact words) I had battery problems at that time. Theres something that's funny too about my lights; when I'm parked with the engine on, I step on the brakes and my engine revs and lights dim. Turning and switching things will dim the light on for a second. I don't remember what I just read, but does your lights dim until you turn off the accessories?

Nope, accessories don't really have any effect. It seems to be more dependent on RPM than anything; low RPM, dimmer lights. RPM over 3k, and the lights brighten up.
    It's not a hard and fast rule, but it seems to be the case 90% of the time.
    At any rate, haven't checked out the ELD yet, so until then I've got no new information.
    Oh, and when I discovered my battery was gettin' old, the alternator checked out...might get a second opinion on that, though, just to be sure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information