Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Best Way to Clean Up Electrical Grounds?

So, did my searching and couldn't find anything on the topic, so here it is.
    I've noticed lately while driving at night, the headlights will dim a little here and there. When I pop the fan on (no AC, just the fan) they dim momentarily, occasionally when throttle load changes they'll dim a bit, just random stuff like that. Figured I'd start at the bottom and work up, so I was going to clean the ground points for the electrical system.
    I know the spot under the driver's side front is prone to gunking up, and the alternator ground on the other side looks like it could probably use some love.

Question is, what do you guys recommend for cleaning those ground points up? I figure anything heavy like solvent/steel brush is going to scrape paint, at which point I'm doing further, long-term harm. So, advice on products/procedures for cleaning up those nasty ground spots?

have you thought about adding a grouding kit? they can be made for relatively cheap. or you can purchase a generic one on ebay.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Nah, not in to it. No high-power system installed, and my engine bay is cluttered enough already LOL.

they sell electrical part cleaner at autopart stores, get a can of that and a wire brush. Clean the ends of the grounds with the spray and scrub them lightly with the brush until they start to look like new, get some sandpaper and sand off all the paint, dirt, etc where the ground connects too until it starts to get shiny and thats when you know you reached the bare metal which has the best connection. Clean it up the area with some water, dry and reconnect

Quote Originally Posted by RHCP0801 View Post
    they sell electrical part cleaner at autopart stores, get a can of that and a wire brush. Clean the ends of the grounds with the spray and scrub them lightly with the brush until they start to look like new, get some sandpaper and sand off all the paint, dirt, etc where the ground connects too until it starts to get shiny and thats when you know you reached the bare metal which has the best connection. Clean it up the area with some water, dry and reconnect
    It only works if you hold your buddy's hand while doing it... At least that's what I always see him doing^^^^....

Quote Originally Posted by RHCP0801 View Post
    Great post, before re-assembly a light coat of noalox will keep it in good shape.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Ah, so there is something I can apply to keep things from going south again. Good stuff.
    That's my big concern, scrubbing/sanding everything to bare metal, and then just leaving bare metal to rust LOL...no good!
    So is the naolox like a dielectric coating of some kind?

Thanks guys, just the info I was hoping for!

you could also think about upgrading your battery grounds, ive done mine with 0ga and with a 1500wrms system they dont even dim(i do have a second battery tho)

That may be in the cards. Just trying to start troubleshooting the simple stuff, and I'll work my way up from there. :D
    Last edited by itchy5; 12-03-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Noalox prevents corrosion that happens with dissimilar metals. Works great.

As long as you don't go apeshit with the sanding you should be cool, it jsut needs the area of the lug to mate, not an inch around it like some do, which I don't know why. In theory, given the fact that the bolt is bit in HARD to the threads, a super clean bolt will work, but I still take off a bit of paint... A BIT.
    Made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

I hear ya man. Like I said, needs doing, and know what the general process is, just wondered if anyone had some solid tips on technique/tools/product.
    The noalox sounds like a win, just hope I can find some locally. Though the weather around here looks like it's gonna be desert status for a while, LOL.

So got the battery terminals and the ground point over by the left side engine mount done today, then had to get to a meeting so threw the battery back in and off I went.
    Hoping to pull the bumper tomorrow and get the two big spots on either end of the bumper area, maybe relocate the headlight harness grounds on the left since they're currently sharing with the engine mount ground over there. Those, and the main battery ground right there by the battery tray on the fender/strut tower area.
    There's one spot in the manual that I can't figure out, though. Shows two ground lines from the battery, one that I just mentioned and another that looks like it's up under the radiator support somewhere? Poked around a bit, I can see where that last mystery line leads off the negative battery cable and hooks back towards the front of the car...buuuut can't figure out where it's actually grounded. Any hints on that one guys?

And by the way, thanks again for all the help thus far!

You can also buy electrically conductive metal-free anti-seize like Loctite Graphite 50.

Not Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    Poked around a bit, I can see where that last mystery line leads off the negative battery cable and hooks back towards the front of the car...buuuut can't figure out where it's actually grounded. Any hints on that one guys?

And by the way, thanks again for all the help thus far!
    That one is your engine ground. It should actually be connected to a bronze/gold bracket on your tranny. If you look at some CAI DIY installs you should be able to find a good pic of it.

AAAAh, I know exactly where you're talking about! Sneaky!

Thanks man, that's the last spot. Now I know where I'm going tomorrow LOL, appreciate it!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information