Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gear Grind

2nd Gear Grind

So, my car has begun to grind a little bit whenever I shift from 1st to 2nd. It's weird though because it doesn't happen at every shift. I usually am in first gear until about 3k rpm and then shift, sometimes grinds, sometimes not. Other times, I shift at lower rpms, barely moving in 1st, and it grinds...sometimes. Currently, I'm reving to about 3k to get my car moving, popping into neutral and waiting about 1-1.5 seconds and letting the rpms drop before I go to second, and it sometimes helps. I've noticed fewer grinds with this method. I have yet to have a gear pop out on me though, thankfully. Do I have a busted syncro or do I just need to change the transmission fluid? I am the second owner so I don't know the last time it was changed. Please tell me it's the latter because I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a fix. Also, I've tried double clutching and I haven't really noticed a difference. Thanks :)

If you're grinding that much you probably need some work. I would get grind when shifting at 5k plus if I threw it hard, changed my trans fluid with redline mtl and now it's like butter. A little notchy, but barely ever grinds

Yeah, I forgot to mention that when I push it past 3k, maybe like 4-5 ish, it doesn't grind, or at least not that I can tell. Also, I only drive my car once a week. Does that have anything to do with it? I also noticed that it grinds more when my car is cold, but I guess that's pretty common with all cars. I just want to clarify that it's not a super loud grind like if I were to mis-shift or not push in the clutch; my friend couldn't even hear it when I pointed it out. I guess being the driver I can feel it through the gear leaver.

yeah just change the fluid. that should really help. if it keeps grinding then you'll need to buy a new 2nd gear sleeve...

Why are you revving to three k to get the car moving? I am thinking you are simply shifting incorrectly, that is a very common problem with the "second / third gear grind" issue everyone talks about/
    I'm from Detroit, we are so gangster even our mayor is in jail

He's taking 1st gear to 3k rpm before shifting into 2nd, not reving to 3k in neutral before putting it in first...

sounds like a synchro is messed up. my third gear synchro was jacked up.

Quote Originally Posted by musashi1219 View Post
    Why are you revving to three k to get the car moving? I am thinking you are simply shifting incorrectly, that is a very common problem with the "second / third gear grind" issue everyone talks about/
    Im not going to read anymore of this thread because musashi nailed it on the head...I don't have the issue because I match the speed of the engine to the trans to time my shifts...so it comes down to timing upshifts and rev matching downshifts, I don't even need the clutch to shift without a grind...it all comes down to you're doing it wrong...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Registered User gtimportfanatic's Avatar
    i usually grind if i bounce off the limiter once or so.. but if i drive normal i have no issue.. i think imma switch to redline instead of the acura MTF

Quote Originally Posted by gtimportfanatic View Post
    i usually grind if i bounce off the limiter once or so.. but if i drive normal i have no issue.. i think imma switch to redline instead of the acura MTF
    I really liked redline mtf when I ran it, very smooth...I've got honda mtf right now cuz I have a case of it and didn't have any redline when I was putting the transmission back in
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Another thread concluded with the helpless "driver error" answer..

i have the same problem, i just shift slower. works for me

my third is messed up (not for long!) and it causes me to not shift above 3.5k without grinding. and thats normal granny shifting. i have to shift like a noob from 2nd-3rd.

if you do repair it by yourself, you have alot of work ahead of you =\ or deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 631 View Post
    He's taking 1st gear to 3k rpm before shifting into 2nd, not reving to 3k in neutral before putting it in first...
    are you sure
    'I'm reving to about 3k to get my car moving,'

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    Im not going to read anymore of this thread because musashi nailed it on the head...I don't have the issue because I match the speed of the engine to the trans to time my shifts...so it comes down to timing upshifts and rev matching downshifts, I don't even need the clutch to shift without a grind...it all comes down to you're doing it wrong...
    yup
    I'm from Detroit, we are so gangster even our mayor is in jail

Quote Originally Posted by musashi1219 View Post
    Ok, I'm not sure if we are on the same page. I am in first gear and moving when I take it to 3k before shifting to 2nd, not revving to 3k then letting up the clutch to start moving. Sorry If what I wrote before was confusing. So now that we have that cleared up, what am I doing wrong exactly? I make sure that the clutch pedal is all the way down before shifting and make sure I'm in gear before releasing it up again. Also, I took the car out for a spin last night and didn't notice a single grind. I guess waiting about a second before shifting is the most effective method, so far at least. Anyway, I know that sounds like a good thing, but it's confusing me because my grinds are so inconsistent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information