Close

What to fill the tranny with?

What oil do you guys recommend filling the tranny with? My dad keeps telling me to fill it with Mobil-1 5W-30, however I don't think thats right..

You can use a 5w-30 but I'd personally suggest Amsoil MTF

use honda, amsoil, or redline mtf. i put that m1 5-30) in my tranny and its notchy. also if u have extended warrenty, it will void it if u bring it in.

Please feed your timebomb some MTF, it will appreciate it.

Redline or Amsoil for sure

I work at a garage so Honda gives us a discount, how much is it nornally for a box of MTF

MTF's in most instances are comparable in viscosity to a 30 weight oil. BUT they are significantly different than a motor oil by the types and quantity of additives they contain. Will a motor oil work, yes, but I wouldnt use it except in an emergency. There is ZERO synchro friction modifiers in motor oil and the synchros are already a weak issue, so why use something that is guaranteed to trash the trans!

I use Honda`MTF or Pennzoil Synchromesh. Also make sure to change it every other engine oil change and the synchros will last a long time(it is only 1.5 qrts)
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    MTF's in most instances are comparable in viscosity to a 30 weight oil. BUT they are significantly different than a motor oil by the types and quantity of additives they contain. Will a motor oil work, yes, but I wouldnt use it except in an emergency. There is ZERO synchro friction modifiers in motor oil and the synchros are already a weak issue, so why use something that is guaranteed to trash the trans!

I use Honda`MTF or Pennzoil Synchromesh. Also make sure to change it every other engine oil change and the synchros will last a long time(it is only 1.5 qrts)
    shit you serious? my mechanic actually "recommended" synthetic 5w-30 for the tranny! i was suspicious as well but he showed me some site that said this is the one to use and it'll last the life time of the car.
    i'll definitely get the honda MTF for my next oil change if its going to damage the synchros.

I use royal purple and change it every other oil change...

Thread Information