Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

z3 tranny highway speeds?

Who has a z3 and what's their highway cruising speed?

Reason i ask, is i'm torn between the TSX 6th gear or z3 tranny for lower highway rpms. the labor and parts is roughly the same and i'd get a LSD with the z3 tranny.

Both tranny's would have the same 6th gear ratio and have the same Final Drive. and roughly the same rpm at @ 70.

i use the k20a tranny chart and this calc.

http://www.turnzero.com/technical_re...ear_calculator

the 6th speed gearing is the same for z3 as the tsx 6th in the a3 tranny (already stated)

idk how your going about it, but if you do any wrenching, and have the money, its probably better if you just swap the z3. im going the other route because i'm doing all the work myself. for $900 i have a new 3rd, 6th, and an LSD.
    Last edited by AKEP; 12-28-2010 at 02:34 AM.

The calc you posted tells you what your rpms will be when you're cruising. What exactly are you asking? If you're wondering which setup is better - it's really a matter of personal preference.

Keep in mind you're not going to be able to use the z3 case in the w/o mods. idk if you calculated that into your labor costs.

didnt know that, what needs to be done?

I'm contemplating the same thing, add the 6th, or get a 'new' transmission. Used Z3's seem to go for around $1k, so the 6th gear would be cheaper, but my A3's transmission is 80k miles old. Really need to do something, the engine swallows gas when I commute.

Compared to a3 tranny, my z3 tranny in 6th gear def. revs lower rpm; 3 to 3.2k rpm at 60mph ish. Not sure about the gas mileage since many mods been added with the swap, but the highway cruise is much smoother (or lower rpm).

Im debating on doing a 6spd swap this summer as I have that horrible 3rd grind!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSi677 View Post
    Im debating on doing a 6spd swap this summer as I have that horrible 3rd grind!
    i have 65k on my ep3 and my third grinds only when i got on it the grind is very little grind but still there around what mileage dose it start to grind horrible

Quote Originally Posted by cloumep3 View Post
    Compared to a3 tranny, my z3 tranny in 6th gear def. revs lower rpm; 3 to 3.2k rpm at 60mph ish. Not sure about the gas mileage since many mods been added with the swap, but the highway cruise is much smoother (or lower rpm).
    That doesn't sound promising. In 5th, my car does 60mph at 3k....so having a 6 speed gives you zero improvement over the 5?

Quote Originally Posted by i_love_my_ep3! View Post
    i have 65k on my ep3 and my third grinds only when i got on it the grind is very little grind but still there around what mileage dose it start to grind horrible
    Hah. I have 125k and nothing grinds. You should treat your ep a little nicer.

You would be FAR better off going with an 02-04 typeS 6spd and convert it with the TSX/Z3 6th gear if you are in search of better fuel economy and you do not have many hills on your commute.

The 4.7fd's are a economy killer for sure!!!
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    You would be FAR better off going with an 02-04 typeS 6spd and convert it with the TSX/Z3 6th gear if you are in search of better fuel economy and you do not have many hills on your commute.

The 4.7fd's are a economy killer for sure!!!
    So, a z3 6th wont give lower RPMs at high speed vs our 5th? The Type S looks like it's $250 less than the Z3 transmission, but then I'd have to buy the other gear, and there's no LSD. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, now I have no idea, again.

The stock typeS 6spd will greatly reduce the frantic revs at highway speeds(speed limit) compared to the EP3's 5spd(and it's incessant exhaust drone), I mentioned the TSX/Z3 6th gear swap in the early typeS trans merely for additional drop in revs at hiighway speeds, it isnt required.

The typeS 6spd will provide a lower rpm at the same speed as the 5spd w/tsx 6th or Z3 trans.(not by much)
    Last edited by talonXracer; 02-15-2011 at 07:57 AM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by ryboto View Post
    So, a z3 6th wont give lower RPMs at high speed vs our 5th? The Type S looks like it's $250 less than the Z3 transmission, but then I'd have to buy the other gear, and there's no LSD. I thought I knew what I wanted to do, now I have no idea, again.
    Check out the link, this should help you in decision making:

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6395

It's an old thread, but sure is useful!
    Also, a3 has to shift to 3rd gear to get to 60 mph, whereas the z3, with its gearing ration gives you little bit more livelier drivability. However, since the final gear is same from a3 and z3, the rpm in 5th vs. 6th gears, respectively, won't make too much of difference.

I would go with what talonXracer recommended. GL!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information