Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ep3moschini View Post
    yeah. . thats kinda the point of the cotter pin. . .

good luck when it falls off
    whats it like steering with one wheel? joe, youd know!
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Clunk came back on the way home. Trying to pull over on 76 is nearly impossible so it had to wait until I got home. Checked the same nut, loose again. I am going to get some lock tight and try it again. Checked the other side and I can't even make it budge, so I am just not getting this one tight enough.

How many miles on car .? Maybe half shaft I replaced mine just see if any play on passenger side axle .

When my ep had a clunking noise it turned out to be the front LCA bushing. The one on my passenger side was torn.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony. View Post
    Clunk came back on the way home. Trying to pull over on 76 is nearly impossible so it had to wait until I got home. Checked the same nut, loose again. I am going to get some lock tight and try it again. Checked the other side and I can't even make it budge, so I am just not getting this one tight enough.
    i wouldnt recommend locktite? unless its the removeable one (if they make that) because if you work on your suspension in the near future how are you going to get it off! just my .02

Locktite does break loose, it just takes a lot of effort. Anyway, I'll look at the axle. I think some of the noise I hear is my license plate on the front flopping around. I am afraid of over tightening it. Should it to be so tight I can no longer make the nut turn? Does anyone know the correct torque spec? I am only using a wrench about 9" long and I am not jacked so I don't know if I'd even have the strength and torque to over tighten it.
    Last edited by bizzle; 12-29-2010 at 07:13 AM.

I tightened it before I left for work. Half way to work, clunk came back. Got it work, checked it, loose as hell again. Like I can almost turn it with my hand. Anyone have a part number of the castellated nut from Honda? My local Honda dealers are useless at looking things up.

Advance Auto has some castellated nuts but I am not sure if I'll be able to find one with the same threads.

You need to get the proper nut, that is no way shape or form a stock nut for a tierod end, they are required to be castellated by law(DOT requirement)

You will probably need a new tierod end as well, that clunking is the tierod end being torqued and popped in and out of the steering arm, that will destroy both parts!

AutoZone will have the correct nut.
    Last edited by talonXracer; 12-29-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    whats it like steering with one wheel? joe, youd know!
    there goes my coffee all over my computer!
    That's hitting below the belt charlie.

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    You need to get the proper nut, that is no way shape or form a stock nut for a tierod end, they are required to be castellated by law(DOT requirement)

You will probably need a new tierod end as well, that clunking is the tierod end being torqued and popped in and out of the steering arm, that will destroy both parts!
    Awesome. I'll get the nuts tomorrow, I can't until then because I am stuck at work all day. I am a little pissed the wrong nuts where put on this thing when the suspension got changed, but that's life I suppose.

I might be able to make it on lunch today, anyone know the exact size I should be looking for? If not I can take one off and try to match it up. Thanks for all the help guys.

looked all over, no parts stores have them in stock. the guy at advance said its a 3/8-24 nut. sound right? home depot has them actually and in stock. also called honda dealers, no one has them.

NO, they are a metric thread. 10mm

Honda part# 94030-10080
    .75$ at a Honda stealership
    Last edited by talonXracer; 12-29-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    NO, they are a metric thread. 10mm

Honda part# 94030-10080
    .75$ at a Honda stealership
    That is in fact the OEM nut that Honda used on our cars. Its not castellated. 17-65 Helms manual.

But it should be.

Any idea why it won't stay tight on my car? I am going to get the Honda ones anyway I guess, but it refuses to stay tight with whats on their now.

I am going to remove the bolt again tomorrow morning and pull out the tie rod end and see how and if any chewed up it is. I may just go buy replacements tomorrow from Advance because they are a.) in stock b.) come with the castellated nuts and cotter pins.

Also, anyone still using the stock airbox, do you get any noise from it banging around? If I press it down just a bit it does hit something and I am wondering if that's what a lot of the noise I hear is.. along with my license plate flapping around.
    Last edited by bizzle; 12-29-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information