Close

k20a2 swap! engine rebuild questions...

i just bought a k20a2 for dirt cheap. the head was being rebuilt but im new to building an engine. what should i do when rebuilding an engine? what things should be replaced? what should i look for? should i clean all the parts (acid wash or steam or lots of carb choke cleaner?)? i just got a service manual. what things should i keep in mind...

what can i reuse from my old engine (k20a3)? all i have is the engine block, a head, oil pump, water pump, and some other things... what else would i need for this swap?

sounds like you should give it to someone who knows what they are doing

I would replace the rod bearings, piston rings and oil pump for sure. The water pump, oil pump and head components on the a3 wont do you any good for the a2. But without seeing the engine its hard to say, is it hammered or in good shape? And if your unsure of what you are doing it would be a good idea to have a machine shop put it all together for you.. or do alot of research.

i hope you have money saved up for the machine shop to assemble it. if you do it yourself i hope you have money for the parts you break and for the machine shop to fix it.

motors are frustrating and overwhelming for the experienced at times and are guaranteed this for new comers.

Quote Originally Posted by urthworm View Post
    I would replace the rod bearings, piston rings and oil pump for sure. The water pump, oil pump and head components on the a3 wont do you any good for the a2. But without seeing the engine its hard to say, is it hammered or in good shape? And if your unsure of what you are doing it would be a good idea to have a machine shop put it all together for you.. or do alot of research.
    my brother has rebuilt an engine and is helping me. this is not a 2 or 3 month project and i plan to learn as i go. in case this is too much for me, how much would it take for a shop to put it together? any rough estimate helps. like i said i got it for dirt cheap from a guy just trying to sell it and i was wanting to get this engine anyways. thanks for your help and comments.

Quote Originally Posted by danito321 View Post
    my brother has rebuilt an engine and is helping me. this is not a 2 or 3 month project and i plan to learn as i go. in case this is too much for me, how much would it take for a shop to put it together? any rough estimate helps. like i said i got it for dirt cheap from a guy just trying to sell it and i was wanting to get this engine anyways. thanks for your help and comments.
    oh and i was planning on getting a new water pump but oil pump too? ok sounds good. piston rings and rod bearings are planned for. the engine is in good shape my bro looked at it. i figure if its not in good shape all i lost was $160 bucks and half a gallon of gas to pick it up.

You can not tell what needs to be replaced repaired until the engine has been torn down and measured, inspected.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

now i feel like a noob for trying... ok i just asked a friend that works at a honda dealership to come and check out the engine. we're gonna start checking everything out tomorrow. thanks for bringing me down to the ground. i needed it. no sarcasm.

good luck with the swap, your gona really like it. if your gona go with a 6speed try to also get the final drive from the 05 rsx. makes a nice diffrence.

Quote Originally Posted by RHCP0801 View Post
    sounds like you should give it to someone who knows what they are doing
    Lmao
    Last edited by bunk; 12-08-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Thread Information