Close

ephatch member

camshaft recommendations? Ideas/Help please.

My cams are so pitted its time to replace them asap. I was considering:
    • Skunk2 Stage 1
    • Buddy Club Spec I

Also, Could I possibly just use a pair of OBX stage 1 cams, made for the rsxs?

help is appreciated thanks.

whats your motor? you still rockin the A3 or you swap in a A2 or a k24 variant?
    What are your goals?

ephatch member
    Daily driver still have the a3, 161k miles. This summer I am likely to swap to a k24a1/a4. So the cams would get placed in the swapped engine.

many people on this board have had a good run with BC cams.
    You should also considering upgrading the springs while your at it.

To answer your other questions, you can't use RSX-S cams on a k20a3.

If you cams are pitted, consider using a different oil once you swap over cams.
    Seeing how you live in the NE like me... a good combination us guys use is 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer.
    Don't use what the oil cap recommends. That will lead to pitting.

ephatch member
    Honestly, how much are you looking to spend. Brian Crower's and anything over stage I's in the skunk2's will require tuning. So you would need k-pro. Some people found that they actually lost power with the skunk2 stage I's when they ran it on a stock ecu, but of course gained it back and then some when they got k-pro and a tune.

K-pro- $860-900
    Tune- $200-400 depending on e-tune or on the dyno and who you go with
    Cams- that depends on the deals you find either in the classifieds or new.
    Valve Springs and Retainers- a2 springs work and can be had from $50-70

N/A on the slow a3 ain't cheap. If I were you, I would just swap in stock a1, a3, a4 cams and pick up the reflash, then just upgrade to k-pro when you swap. This is coming from someone who went n/a with the a3 and even has the cams for sale.

He doesn't need Kpro to run the Stage 1's. It seems he just wants to replace his cams and get his motor going again. Hoenstly if it were me and I had to choose the best for the money, I'd go with the Skunk2's because they're affordable and are just SLIGHTLY more aggressive than stock that you won't need any tuning to use them. If you're using the K20A3, you can't use RSX-S cams without extra parts and mods (read up on OEM VTEC killer setups).

ephatch member
    Honestly, it's worthless to toss in cams if you aren't going to use k-pro. It has been shown to lose power with the stage I's and no tune on the stock ecu.

I'm in the same boat with my a3. Looked into stage one cams on a stock ecu due to my budget constraints and it just isn't worth it the effort if you aren't going to tune. The initial price to hp ratio is the same as a cai but the amount of work that goes into it is far greater. But if you are already getting Kpro to operate your k24 then you might as well slap them in while the engine is out. Skunk2 stage ones are still available for $250 shipped.

Thread Information