Close

Cracked clutch housing on 6 speed, will 5spd work?

Long story short, crazy redneck hauling a flatbed trailer full'o crap swerved to avoid hitting wildlife causing me to swerve to avoid getting killed. I grounded the Si pretty good on a low curb.

I limped her home, but outside of some minor cosmetic damage to the grill in the bumper, the tranny drives and shifts perfectly.

No immediate damage was noticeable outside of the front bumper, but then I noticed some oily film and a small drop forming under the tranny the next day. The clutch housing has a hairline crack following the passenger side axle seal. I tried welding her up, but there is obviously more damage that I can not see or get to without dropping the tranny. There is a 5 speed gearbox for sale locally for half the cost of the clutch case at the dealership. The 6 speed case and the 5 speed case show different part numbers, but they both look identical. Anyone with more intimate knowledge of the Acura tranny, your input would be much appreciated, otherwise I will order the new case online.

Sorry for the long post, but this rather annoying and I plan to resolve this correctly, but hopefully not having to overspend. My EP is running a Type S swap for the record, the donor tranny (hopefully) is a 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman5 View Post
    Long story short, crazy redneck hauling a flatbed trailer full'o crap swerved to avoid hitting wildlife causing me to swerve to avoid getting killed. I grounded the Si pretty good on a low curb.

I limped her home, but outside of some minor cosmetic damage to the grill in the bumper, the tranny drives and shifts perfectly.

No immediate damage was noticeable outside of the front bumper, but then I noticed some oily film and a small drop forming under the tranny the next day. The clutch housing has a hairline crack following the passenger side axle seal. I tried welding her up, but there is obviously more damage that I can not see or get to without dropping the tranny. There is a 5 speed gearbox for sale locally for half the cost of the clutch case at the dealership. The 6 speed case and the 5 speed case show different part numbers, but they both look identical. Anyone with more intimate knowledge of the Acura tranny, your input would be much appreciated, otherwise I will order the new case online.

Sorry for the long post, but this rather annoying and I plan to resolve this correctly, but hopefully not having to overspend. My EP is running a Type S swap for the record, the donor tranny (hopefully) is a 5 speed.
    as far as i know, as long as its not a tsx or accord case, the guts should fit.

DC5 base/Type S transmissions and EP3 transmissions all use the same housing. It's the whole reason why you can add a 6th gear option to the DC5 base and EP3 transmissions. Same thing goes for LSD's.
    Last edited by ALL MotoR Ep3; 12-11-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Yea any k20 housing will work, k24 will not

Quote Originally Posted by USAF EP3 View Post
    It's the whole reason why you can add a 6th gear option to the DC5 base and EP3 transmissions. Same thing goes for LSD's.
    Actually the reason why, is that all the Kseries use the same basic transmission internals, the exterior is what dictates what chassis it will work in.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by talonXracer View Post
    Actually the reason why, is that all the Kseries use the same basic transmission internals, the exterior is what dictates what chassis it will work in.
    thats what i wanted to say, just couldn't figure it out...

Thanks alot fellas. You have saved me a few hundred bucks which will now go to buying a helical. I figure what the hell, she's out and apart...

Thread Information