Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: key programming

Ok so I could just buy this ridgeline key and have it cut and programmed to my car? Is it really that easy

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using my God Damn Thumbs...

Quote Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
    Ok so I could just buy this Ridgeline key and have it cut and programmed to my car? Is it really that easy

No, the Ridgeline key CANNOT be programmed for our cars. The transponder inside is not compatible with our immobilizer hardware. You need to buy two keys: a normal key that is compatible with our car (or you could cut apart one of your current keys, but I wanted 2 spares, so that's out), and a Ridgeline combo remote key.

Here's a rough outline of what you need to do.

1. Have the Ridgeline key cut. Since you will be disposing of the chip, you do not need to have it programmed. At this point, the key will open your doors but will not start the engine.

1a. This is optional only if you are using your current key, but if you bought a new key to cut apart because you don't want to destroy your current key this step is required. Have your extra Civic key cut AND programmed. Having it cut is optional, but once you take the chip out, it will still open your doors. Put it in your wallet and you'll never get locked out of your car again!

2. Take your programmed Civic key, and cut apart the plastic on the top around the edge. Yes, you have to destroy the key handle to get at the chip, but if you're like me, you got the key on Ebay for 7 bucks. Then, remove the chip from the center of the key, and set it aside in a safe place.

3. Now, take apart the Ridgeline key. There is a little screw right above the keyblade on the back. A 00 phillips screwdriver will take that right out. There is a little compartment inside with a transponder chip in it. Remove the Ridgeline transponder, and glue or otherwise mount the Civic transponder in its place. Make sure to place it so that the antenna (the side where you can see copper colored wire inside) is pointing towards the keyblade.

4. Screw the Ridgeline key together, program the remote, and bingo, you have yourself an all-in-one remote and key combination. For bonus points, grab the back plate from the FD2 Type R key with the red H, and screw that on instead. Now it's convenient AND looks bad ass!

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by CivicSier View Post
    Ok the $22 CL find OUCG8D-344H-A key fob worked 100%. I wish the hatch button worked though...
    I'm glad to hear it! The trunk button doesn't work on our cars though, because there is no actuator/motor/whatever hardware to open the hatch electronically. You might be able to find a different faceplate to replace it, open it up, and cut the plastic button off inside so that there would be nothing to press the button on the board and make the trunk button disappear. But anyway, I'm glad that your craigslist find payed off. Congrats!
    Last edited by eccramer; 04-02-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks for clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
    Thanks for clarifying

No problem man! It's really not that hard. I've already pulled the chip out of the Ridgeline key. I'm probably going to be driving over to the Honda stealership pretty soon to get everything cut and programmed. I'm going to write up an illustrated DIY for this when I get the keys cut and programmed, so hopefully soon there will be a comprehensive guide on how to get this done.

Good idea can't wait to see it. I might do 2 keys like this. I'd like to know how much they charge you. Also where can I get the type r piece you were talking about

Last edited by LLH; 01-12-2009 at 04:25 PM.

ICB motorsports has them here. They're kinda pricey. I'm thinking about just picking up the red key emblem from DecalDude, since it's half the price, and he's a vendor on this forum.

i ended up buying a ridgeline key from the dealership for 54 dollars had it cut and surprised the parts guy when i started up my si

kpro for the win then i had to take the immobilizer bulb out of the frikin dash

Quote Originally Posted by Black04si View Post
    i ended up buying a ridgeline key from the dealership for 54 dollars had it cut and surprised the parts guy when i started up my si

kpro for the win then i had to take the immobilizer bulb out of the frikin dash
    Heh, I guess that works. It's just cheaper for me to buy two keys and cut them up since I don't have KPro. Props on getting a combined key and remote though. I still haven't gotten time to get them cut and programmed, but I'm excited to get it all set up so I can write my guide and also not have to deal with so many keys.

I got two keys from an auto locksmith and the keys work fine with the lock, you can also get one from a local locksmith company.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information