Quote Originally Posted by jtrolinger View Post
Sir, I don't mean to undermind your thoughts on legal or illegal k24 swaps but coming from someone (ME) who has had countless run-ins with CHP/CAL STATE REFS; It is absolutley legal to swap a k24 into an EP3 provided it comes with OEM factory smog equipment. I hate to beat a dead horse but the law states the engine has to be from the same MAKE and NEWER year than it's going into. Also it has to be in the same class.. (ie regular, heavyduty, exc). heavy duty is a 1 ton truck so as long as your not taking an engine from a Honda Truck then your good. CRV is not a 1 ton truck and falls into the regular class, as does rsx,TL,accord,exc. If the law has changed in the last year I apologize. Any more info can be obtained here: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php
Sir, I don't mean to undermind your thoughts as well but refering to the information that you so thoughfully provided which i have greatly researched please read the following.

"Engine Changes
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:

* The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.

* The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy-duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.

* If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.

* All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine."

The key sentance here is "All emisions control equipment must remain on the installed engine." Almost all of honda's engines now include an EGR system. Every swap install that I've read required the removal of the egr system (since our ECU and wiring harness can't hook up to or controll them) and block off plates installed. By doing this you just modified the emisions system on the engine and a competent state bar referee will catch this. Also a key factor is the enginer must be a california certified engine. Engines coming from out of state might not be CA certified and they can check this by running the engine vin. Possible strike 2. I have not met one person in the bay area who has been able to get a k24 engine to pass the referee inspection. I've met plenty of people who have gotten k20a2s and k20as to pass though. As a not the k20a & a2 do no have egr systems just like the a3.

So before you fire off an condescending "sir" message post you might want to check your own facts.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm