Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Budget EBAY I/H/E pickup?

I've recently been thinking of ways to get my ass in motion as far as modding my car for performance purposes. Since I can't/won't bother wasting any money on my stock a3 I figured it'd be best to focus on basic bolt-on's/swapable items. I know if I ever want serious power from my bucket I'll need a new long block to talk any serious numbers (I'm looking to stay n/a or do a mild street jrsc setup in the LONG run.)

So, the options for Intake, Header, and catback are pretty generic and IMO don't make a big enough difference to warrant spending $300 for an intake and over a thousand dollars for a decent exhaust setup.

Ebay has some pretty good deals on their parts and most exhaust stuff can be had cheap while getting stainless steel products.

HEADER=$50

N1 style CAT-BACK=$110

2.5" CAI=$35 If you prefer.

If you decide to go CAI, throw on your preferred brand of cone style air filter($50) for better filtration (or atleast better piece of mind) and you've STILL got a full I/H/E setup for roughly $250

I'm not going to be doing this however.
    An even cheaper option would be to get a dremel or something to cut up your airbox so it's lyke got more holz n shit for more air n stuff.

Hondata Airbox mod = FREE
    Get a K&N Drop in filter=$25 and you've got more airflow for even cheaper.
    I decided to go this route because I already have a K&N filter in the box that was new in the fall.

These prices all reflected shipping to my local area code, shouldn't be much different for anyone else in the lower 48.

Gut your cat, throw on a de-fouler and you're pulling even more "bolt-on" ponys for free.
    Or better, $50 ebay test pipe recommended by Tortoise

In short, you can do all your basic "ricer" mods for dirt cheap if you're really looking to protect your wallet. Anyone running any of the stated EBAY bolt-on's feel free to add your opinion on ebay vs the "real deal" stuff.

Anyone opposing the products/corner cuts, feel free to add your opinion as well.

I'm planning on picking up all of this stuff before it warms up. I'll be back to post my thoughts on product quality/horsepower gains when I bolt up.

Maybe I'll even do a before and after dyno pull @STMtuned.com

Peace
    Last edited by whatsvtec; 01-28-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: SCREW CAI! Airbox Mod FTW!

I had that header paired with an ebay test pipe and i gained quite a bit suprisingly. And also an exhaust is kind of jus an exhaust. You will get some power but who knows how it will sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I had that header paired with an ebay test pipe and i gained quite a bit suprisingly. And also an exhaust is kind of jus an exhaust. You will get some power but who knows how it will sound.
    My thoughts exactly on the exhaust... Sound isn't my concern (as long as I'm not alerting the local authorities) The whole $110 is worth it to me for the 2.5" stainless steel midpipe.

that exhaust will be loud but not unbearable. do yourself a favor, get some good heatwrap like DEI and do a good job wrapping the header and the test pipe. the cheap stainless they use has a bad tendency to "tick" when running. sounds like a valvelash issue but its not. another recommendation, get the OBX raceheader. if your bone stock do us a favor!!! Baseline your car on a dyno, install, and re dyno. ithink everyone on this forum would want to see the gains from ebay parts

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    that exhaust will be loud but not unbearable. do yourself a favor, get some good heatwrap like DEI and do a good job wrapping the header and the test pipe. the cheap stainless they use has a bad tendency to "tick" when running. sounds like a valvelash issue but its not. another recommendation, get the OBX raceheader. if your bone stock do us a favor!!! Baseline your car on a dyno, install, and re dyno. ithink everyone on this forum would want to see the gains from ebay parts
    I was planning on doing a baseline pull. Then installing everything in the parking lot before doing the second pull, both numbers will be posted. The guys at Street Tuned Motorsports usually do a Dyno day in the spring, so I'm relying on that. For any info on them check out stmtuned.com They also have a used parts website linked w/ some k20 680cc injectors for sale.

Back on topic...
    Cash rules everything, so I'll be taking the cheapest route possible. I'll definitely be wrapping the exhaust and test pipe, it's good to know abt the tinging, I like to keep any noise to a minimum so diagnosing is easier. Other than that, the obx RH is on the backburner until I afford it. Right now I'm looking at about a $350 setup from filter to exhaust tip.

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    Baseline your car on a dyno, install, and re dyno. ithink everyone on this forum would want to see the gains from ebay parts
    this.

honestly, i was going to go the NA route, and i was like. fuck name brand, ebay this shit for like$300. esp if you just want it for the A3.

do it.

once again, its getting crazy with all the ep'ers buying ebay stuff finally. after all these years of anti-rice in the forum. and then most of it turning out really good.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    Really? You're a fan of "The Ricer"? Is there an Evo in your near future?

I also have a feeling by the way you write your posts, that you are on www.roclife.org and honda-tech. Are you Rochester area native as well?
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 01-25-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    Really? You're a fan of "The Ricer"? Is there an Evo in your near future?

I also have a feeling by the way you write your posts, that you are on www.roclife.org and honda-tech. Are you Rochester area native as well?
    Not an EVO fan, too much money for an economy car. But they're doing amazing work at STM with what they've got, so I can't hate.

I'm on roclife (whiteysEp3), haha, hate central, and I've yet to make a single post on hondatech.com but I believe I have a username there too, whats-vtec

Rochester, NY born and raised. If it weren't for all the salt they lay down here, I'd love it year round.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    this.

honestly, i was going to go the NA route, and i was like. fuck name brand, ebay this shit for like$300. esp if you just want it for the A3.

do it.

once again, its getting crazy with all the ep'ers buying ebay stuff finally. after all these years of anti-rice in the forum. and then most of it turning out really good.
    Yeah, after seeing some great results from other peoples ebay parts, I figured for the fraction I'll be paying compared to anything brand name it was worth the shot. I'm dead set on a wild n/a setup or mild jrsc k24a2. I'm only ever hoping to make 250-300 with what I build.

The only "ebay" part Ive had on my car is the Megan Stainless Steel shorty and it held up for over 100K miles without any cracks, leaks, etc. before I sold it

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    Not an EVO fan, too much money for an economy car. But they're doing amazing work at STM with what they've got, so I can't hate.

I'm on roclife (whiteysEp3), haha, hate central, and I've yet to make a single post on hondatech.com but I believe I have a username there too, whats-vtec

Rochester, NY born and raised. If it weren't for all the salt they lay down here, I'd love it year round.
    They're rates are reasonable, and I'd love to check them out sometime, but I'm still having issues after watching he and Mike argue it out on two public forums. So, I unfortunately have not been inclined to check out his shop (although I'd like to at some point). Either way, I support their builds as someone who tries to support my local economies.

Don't get me started about roclife.org. I remember it back in the day when it was fresh and new. The haters weren't tolerated and things flowed relatively smoothly. Back then it easy to go to a function and meet new people with similar interests. Now, it's just........yea what you said. You have to be careful saying anything on there now otherwise you bring the wrath of the hate parade onto you.

I'm actually in Rochester often. I frequent the RAC on Winton. If you ever need help installing suspension or bolt-ons, let me know. I'm always up for helping the local Ep3 and RSX guys if I am able.

**Oh and before you dump the money on these "ebay bolt ons", buy yourself the Hondata Reflash for $250. It'll make your a3 more fun on a daily basis and the ebay bolt ons will always be there later.
    Last edited by MugenReplica; 01-25-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Also, far side note......

Buy an FG/FA CAI. It's 3.0" vs. the shitty 2.5". The only thing you'll have to do is make a plug for the MAF sensor hole, but at $35 for a 3.0" intake it's well worth the work.

My EP had a similar exhaust set up when I bought it and it looks identical to that and I was told it was from ebay as well. One thing though, it had very poor resonator and even at lower RPM range, it was loud. And I had to keep the windows open to keep my ear drum from bursting. Ended up changing it to WS2 set up right away. Another thing, not sure why, but whenever the CAT area got wet, it'd rattle violantly...

Mugen Replica
    I'm not sure if I want to do the re-flash. I don't plan on keeping the a3 for that long, but when I do I want it to be as reliable as possible. I've got a lead foot and raising the redline would only make my foot heavier. If I do get the reflash it wouldn't be a huge purchase so I can wait for it. Maybe then I can dyno the reflash too.

You're positive the 8th gen intakes won't have any clearance issues?

Also, I've got ESMM's and Energy's Master bushing set waiting to be installed, so I'm due for an install day come spring time. I'll shout to the 2 other ep3's in rochester I know of to see if everyone would want to get together to help eachother or just cruise somewhere
    Last edited by whatsvtec; 01-25-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloumep3 View Post
    My EP had a similar exhaust set up when I bought it and it looks identical to that and I was told it was from ebay as well. One thing though, it had very poor resonator and even at lower RPM range, it was loud. And I had to keep the windows open to keep my ear drum from bursting. Ended up changing it to WS2 set up right away. Another thing, not sure why, but whenever the CAT area got wet, it'd rattle violantly...
    If i don't end up liking the sound, I'm planning on having an obx twinloop welded on, all the ebay exhaust clips i found sounded quieter than skunk 2/dc exhausts

As for the rattle, I hope I don't get a crap set-up. Even if I do, I won't be losing too much.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information