Close

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ep3colin View Post
    does anyone know how much power on average a shorty and test pipe makes compared to a RH?
    idk but theres a huge difference. rh all day!

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    Hey man im in CT. I have a used full apexi N-1 exhaust system. If u wana meet some where ill give u a good deal for it. I need it gone. I can get some pics for u aswell

ebay...

i say go for it... it would be nice to get the before and after dynos. you may shock a few people. if you picked up 10-15 hp for $300 im sure everyone would sing another tune. and given most people say they dyno around 155-160hp with these mods i would say +10-15hp (over stock 130-135hp) is pretty low estimate...

i have that catback, 105 shipped. fits perfect, but does hang a little low. im at stock hieght and managed to put a dent in the res on a HIGH speed bump. sounds good, can get a little loud for some people. it breathes well at 2.5 inch, pipes are huge compared to the stock. i guess its everything you would expect from any aftermarket exhaust but at 1/5 the price.
    even if you bought it for the piping and decided you want to add a twin loop (my plan exactly) its still a great deal. im actually thinking about getting a twin loop section made so i have two exhausts to choose from no rush since i like this exhaust as it is...

i imagine it would get real loud with the shorty and test pipe combo. but the catback does come with a silencer lol. ive been thinking about this set up since i was so pleased with the catback. but i wanna do a few other things first...

the intake i thought about for a while before i came across my AEM V2 on craigslist. i picked my intake up for 45 bucks- couldnt pass it up. but now i wonder about heat soak and switching to a modded stock airbox to seeing if i feel any difference.
    Last edited by tlikethedrink; 01-28-2011 at 02:05 AM. Reason: insomnia + cpu = typos

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    Hey man im in CT. I have a used full apexi N-1 exhaust system. If u wana meet some where ill give u a good deal for it. I need it gone. I can get some pics for u aswell
    Thanks for the offer, but unless it was 110 shipped, or 110 by the time i pulled back in my driveway (gas and all) I can't afford it right now. Also, I kinda wanna do this for the ep3 community. Get some cheap info out there on how to squeeze some juice out of our a3 lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    i say go for it... it would be nice to get the before and after dynos. you may shock a few people. if you picked up 10-15 hp for $300 im sure everyone would sing another tune. and given most people say they dyno around 155-160hp with these mods i would say +10-15hp (over stock 130-135hp) is pretty low estimate...

i have that catback, 105 shipped. fits perfect, but does hang a little low. im at stock hieght and managed to put a dent in the res on a HIGH speed bump. sounds good, can get a little loud for some people. it breathes well at 2.5 inch, pipes are huge compared to the stock. i guess its everything you would expect from any aftermarket exhaust but at 1/5 the price.
    even if you bought it for the piping and decided you want to add a twin loop (my plan exactly) its still a great deal. im actually thinking about getting a twin loop section made so i have two exhausts to choose from no rush since i like this exhaust as it is...

i imagine it would get real loud with the shorty and test pipe combo. but the catback does come with a silencer lol. ive been thinking about this set up since i was so pleased with the catback. but i wanna do a few other things first...

the intake i thought about for a while before i came across my AEM V2 on craigslist. i picked my intake up for 45 bucks- couldnt pass it up. but now i wonder about heat soak and switching to a modded stock airbox to seeing if i feel any difference.

Yeah I figured with the test pipe I would want to be run the silencer daily, unless I'm trying to auto-x or do something where the high decibels aren't an issue. Also, I'm hoping for 15 hp replacing everything from the header, back. I'm almost positive the 2.5 inch midpipe and test pipe can achieve this, I just have to document it.

I've decided against the CAI and I'm gonna do the Hondata Airbox mod.
    Last edited by whatsvtec; 01-28-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsvtec View Post
    mods for dirt cheap if you're really looking to protect your wallet. Anyone running any of the stated EBAY bolt-on's feel free to add your opinion on ebay vs the "real deal" stuff.
    1.) Ebay does not produce car parts. ebay is a means for people to sell. Option import is the people who are selling the haggard parts.
    2.) there is a reason why they are 50$ and 100$...we built an entire crx with parts off ebay (knock off shit) i have pictures of everything defective after about 6-8 months.
    a.) Exhuast cracked in 1 spot due to thin metal and crap welds.
    b.) header broke over 4 times, once at the head side flange, 2 times at the 2-1 collector, and 1 time at the 4-2 collector
    c.) blox lower control arms are terrible...bushing bound up and cracked and were destroyed within 8 months.
    (thats with a proper alignment..not slammed either
    d.) intake pipe just got all flaky and shitty looking.

You get what you pay for...all those parts are garbage.
    buy a quality product and dont rush it.
    You can do more harm than good...

For the money i would say get a reflash and find a used header (in the fs section of the forum) someones selling a nice Hytech knock off for 300...its pretty nice.
    look around in the classifieds area...you can find some sweet deals and plus you help out others in the community...thats what its all about.

check out skunk2 when you want to purchase some of the real parts
    be jealous :P

Quote Originally Posted by ImportCustomx View Post
    1.) Ebay does not produce car parts. ebay is a means for people to sell. Option import is the people who are selling the haggard parts.
    2.) there is a reason why they are 50$ and 100$...we built an entire crx with parts off ebay (knock off shit) i have pictures of everything defective after about 6-8 months.
    a.) Exhuast cracked in 1 spot due to thin metal and crap welds.
    b.) header broke over 4 times, once at the head side flange, 2 times at the 2-1 collector, and 1 time at the 4-2 collector
    c.) blox lower control arms are terrible...bushing bound up and cracked and were destroyed within 8 months.
    (thats with a proper alignment..not slammed either
    d.) intake pipe just got all flaky and shitty looking.

You get what you pay for...all those parts are garbage.
    buy a quality product and dont rush it.
    You can do more harm than good...

For the money i would say get a reflash and find a used header (in the fs section of the forum) someones selling a nice Hytech knock off for 300...its pretty nice.
    look around in the classifieds area...you can find some sweet deals and plus you help out others in the community...thats what its all about.

check out skunk2 when you want to purchase some of the real parts
    I know ebay doesn't make them, It's most likely an bbp exhaust. The header is of shotty quality, but it's a shorty so there shouldn't be as much stress on it as a race header with the same quality. I know what kind of issues I may run into with this, which is why I'm changing my approach bit by bit. This isn't meant to be a lifetime upgrade.

also skunk 2 will be the last thing I'm putting in my car. The only skunk 2 products will probably be my magnetic drain plugs.

Whys that? (skunk2)

if you know its not going to be permanent, then sure do it. I've seen people get into it..and then after a year they are mad that the welds didnt hold etc.

just making sure you know what your getting thats all.
    Last edited by ImportCustomx; 01-28-2011 at 07:12 AM.

Whys that? (skunk2)

if you know its not going to be permanent, then sure do it. I've seen people get into it..and then after a year they are mad that the welds didnt hold etc.

just making sure you know what your getting thats all.
    Skunk 2 makes some good parts, but usually an extra 10-20% on top of their parts will get you a lot better quality and a more reliable product (eg. Brian Crower, Buddy Club, Hybrid Racing). I'm just doing bolt-ons right now until I can start saving up some serious money. Also, I have access to welding materials, I should be able to fix any breaks.

Just read through, and saw that you're not afraid to spend the money for chassis/suspension parts.
    LINK:Type-R Frame Braces
    LINK:Type-R Frame Braces on CEP3

The above links are for the same project, just cover some slightly diff info. Basically, the factory frame braces, including a beefier lower strut tower/steering brace like the one you were asking about, can be had and bolt right to the EP3 chassis.
    Parts include the steering brace, a floor pan bar, and an OEM rear strut bar w/gussets. Good stuff! And OEM quality!

Yeah i hear ya, im not going to get into debates about parts etc...i used to have tons of buddy club stuff on my other ep.

Good luck man, keep us posted and up to date on the how project comes along. im curious to see which ave you go.

thank god for my MIG welder!

BeaterEP - great post man, tons of good info in there!

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    Just read through, and saw that you're not afraid to spend the money for chassis/suspension parts.
    LINK:Type-R Frame Braces
    LINK:Type-R Frame Braces on CEP3

The above links are for the same project, just cover some slightly diff info. Basically, the factory frame braces, including a beefier lower strut tower/steering brace like the one you were asking about, can be had and bolt right to the EP3 chassis.
    Parts include the steering brace, a floor pan bar, and an OEM rear strut bar w/gussets. Good stuff! And OEM quality!
    I've read up a little bit on this and am DEFINITELY doing this. Thanks for taking the time to link up another cheap but VERY functional modification to our cars. I'll be coming back to this very soon.

my exhaust is a BBP. had it for about 3 months now and cant really say anythings wrong with it. it still looks and works as it did when i installed it. but then again, what could go wrong with a catback aside from fitment? thats why I opt'ed for a cheap exhaust... i just couldnt see myself paying +$500 for catback to gain 3-5hp. Most of these exhausts are 2.5inch pipe with a resonator and a straight thru fart can anyways!

Im afraid of the welds on the header tho... which is why i havent gotten one. but the cracks are usually avoided with ESMMI. Tons of people run these "knock off" headers without issues... eventually i think i will buy one anyways.

ImportCustomx
    "For the money i would say get a reflash and find a used header (in the fs section of the forum) someones selling a nice Hytech knock off for 300...its pretty nice."
    Kind of funny you say not to buy knock offs yet your reccomending one.

With bolts ons that dont have moving pieces and arent under stress- i feel ebay is ok.
    intakes and catback exhausts arent going to kill the car if they fail.

Whos to say name brand parts dont have problems either? im sure DC has had cracked welds on headers too.

no i dont like buying the chinsy shit off ebay. the one that is in the classifieds is an actualy nicely made knock off...

and ebay is ok...but the sellers sometimes use thinner material..thats all i was trying to tell people.

And your right a catback exhuast isnt going to kill the driver if it fails...
    but when the hanger weld breaks and you drop a muffler onto the street and someone on their motorcycle runs it over and has a terrible accident
    Last edited by ImportCustomx; 01-28-2011 at 10:08 AM.

no i dont like buying the chinsy shit off ebay. the one that is in the classifieds is an actualy nicely made knock off...

and ebay is ok...but the sellers sometimes use thinner material..thats all i was trying to tell people.

And your right a catback exhuast isnt going to kill the driver if it fails...
    but when the hanger weld brakes and you drop a muffler onto the street and someone on their motorcycle runs it over and has a terrible accident
    Im not saying buy parts off ebay just because theyre a good deal. i wouldnt buy anything with out looking in to it and see how its worked out for other people...
    in the case of the headers, they have gained trust. lots of people run obx without issues. if you choose not to use one, dont use it. if we all had the money for the name brand stuff im sure we would buy them.

lol come on, did you watch final destination last night or what? as a matter of fact, the only time i ever heard of an exhaust tip or muffler falling off was a DC. theres a thread called "post your exhaust" or something like that. look it up, there was atleast two that i remember. ive had 3 different knock off exhaust or 3 diff cars. ive never even had a hanger break or a muffler fall off.

It's not like exhausts are very heavy, I surely won't be rallying my car anytime soon

This is purely temporary. I wouldn't expect something like this to last a lifetime. Much like buying a dvd player from Big Lots, it'll work, but not till the DVD becomes obsolete.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information