Close

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    who the hell made a header that has the wrong cylinders paired up? pics?

the kiddracing is the shit. i keep saying it. but i wanna see gains on the ebay stuff. lol.
    Apparantly OBX wasn't thinking either and paired 1-2, 3-4

The DCRH also pairs 1-2, 3-4. Skunk2 pairs 1-3, 2-4. So DC, Skunk2 and Hytech all do it wrong and yet those three respected names all do it. Maybe there is something to it. Maybe for some odd reason this setup works better for our engines than the normal 1-4, 2-3 pairing

DCRH

Skunk2
    Last edited by White02_hatch; 12-17-2008 at 09:20 PM.

I would highly recommend a Private Label (KRRH). Best bang for the buck header.. Even if it is a replica header. What's great is that you can run it on a stock K20A3 and use it on any future K20/K24 block you might want to swap in.

So after all the different examples of cylinder/runner pairing, is there a "right" pairing?
    Hadn't really looked in to the RH stuff really heavily before, but now I kinda wonder what's up. Why the diff pairings? Supposed to get better gains from one over the other?

I'm not sure as to what's going on with cylinder pairing. All I know is that I'm going to go with the private label KRRH when I upgrade to a race header.

The OEM pairing is what you see on most ebay headers and on the KRRH. 1 and 4 going over top, with 2 and 3 paralleling underneath. I assume this to be "correct" as it follows original design theory.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKone View Post
    The DCRH also pairs 1-2, 3-4. Skunk2 pairs 1-3, 2-4. So DC, Skunk2 and Hytech all do it wrong and yet those three respected names all do it. Maybe there is something to it. Maybe for some odd reason this setup works better for our engines than the normal 1-4, 2-3 pairing
    I'm not a fan of DC sports or Skunk 2 products so even if their pairing was OEM I wouldn't consider buying them. Maybe when I win the lottery I can buy each example and dyno them all to find out which gives the most gains on the stock ecu. Maybe when...
    Last edited by whatsvtec; 01-31-2011 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterEP View Post
    So after all the different examples of cylinder/runner pairing, is there a "right" pairing?
    Hadn't really looked in to the RH stuff really heavily before, but now I kinda wonder what's up. Why the diff pairings? Supposed to get better gains from one over the other?

I have no idea what the logic is begind the different pairings and if it is for power or simply just convenience. In a 4-2-1 design the normal pairing is 1-4, 2-3. This is becasue cylinders 1 and 4 have equally spaced exhaust pulses as well as cylinders 2 and 3. When the pules collect into the pairing pipes you get pulse...pulse...pulse...pulse. If you were to have different pairings you would get pulse, pulse.........pulse, pulse.........pulse, pulse. This pulse pattern in theory is not as efficient as evenly spaced pulses. This is just my opinion.

UPDATE!
    Exhaust and header came in today. Pics of quality should be uploaded and posted by tomorrow. Test pipe should be in next week. I plan on painting all of the exhaust parts with rustoleum engine paint. Also, I'm planning on wrapping the header and downpipe as advised by John(mugenrep)

let me know how/ and if you feel a power difference, im down the same road and am debating ebay short/testpipe or obx raceheader but im a bit on the broke side

I've still gotta save up $50 for the 2 dyno pulls or wait for a "dyno day" to pop up this spring. I plan on waiting until then so I can get real numbers.
    Last edited by speedstar808; 12-18-2008 at 01:37 PM.

so are you going to wait and install everything at the same time? that was my original plan but i got ancy... are you still planning on installing everything in the parking lot?

so your going to run a shorty header, test pipe and catback. have you done the hondata airbox mod yet? K&N right? just to be safe with the header- are you going to use motor mount inserts?

im pretty pumped for you. hope you get some good numbers...

Quote Originally Posted by TheKone View Post

DCRH

Skunk2
    i think its for fitment. sway bar clearance. cause the KRRH secondaries are stacked verticle instead of horizontal. very close to the sway.

Quote Originally Posted by tlikethedrink View Post
    so are you going to wait and install everything at the same time? that was my original plan but i got ancy... are you still planning on installing everything in the parking lot?

so your going to run a shorty header, test pipe and catback. have you done the hondata airbox mod yet? K&N right? just to be safe with the header- are you going to use motor mount inserts?

im pretty pumped for you. hope you get some good numbers...
    I'm pretty pumped too, you've got it exactly right. I'm gonna do the airbox mod ahead of time. But the whole exhaust will be replaced between dyno pulls on the same tank of 87 octane. I've yet to decide if I'll use the ebay shorty header or not, I've got to see how well the OEM looks on the inside.

I'm not expecting anything extraordinary, but it would be nice to see 10-15 hp before I spend 250 more on a reflash. I'm hoping the reflash will fix my shitty timing issues. If not, the a3 might blow up and i'll be able to justify a swap. I'll keep you posted!

Exhaust is sanded and ready for paint. Just waiting for the test pipe and I'll have the whole lot. Then it's maybe time to do the airbox mod.

thats gunna be loud.

the stock header pipe, the pipe itself, could (more than likely) fit inside the kiddracing. thats how tiny they are.

Can't wait

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information