Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    And always remember, make sure you're engine is cool when you clean it! Helps avoid spotting, etc.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

troof

once a month i drop my engine through the bottom and give it a thorough cleaning all around. i use a specialized steam cleaner that helps get all the dirt out from the cracks and crevices.

i wish.

simple green ftw though. keywords are KEEP IT COOL. or you'll stain things and all that.

Simple green and a hose

okay, i kinda really want to be able to spray it down, its gonna be hell for me to try to get down into everything. im just gonna use a regular hose, but again, what should i cover specifically?so far i know the alternator, and the air filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Supaduck View Post
    okay, i kinda really want to be able to spray it down, its gonna be hell for me to try to get down into everything. im just gonna use a regular hose, but again, what should i cover specifically?so far i know the alternator, and the air filter.
    do it at the car wash 1st..with the engine/tire degreaser but try to avoid spraying on the alternator

So if I had sprayed my engine when it was warm and there are spots, is there anyway to get the spots off? thx.

some wont come off and some might...my friend spots on his intake manifold wont come off

crap.

but give it a try..spray engine degreaser with when the engine is cold..leave for like 30 min then wash it off..but dont forget to cover your alternator or anything electrical that can get wet

You guys may think I'm crazy, But for all those little place you cant get into and they still have dirt on them I use a clay bar.
    It forms to however you need it and can get in between any brackets or mounts fairly well. Been using that for years. And my bay is always clean :D

EDIT: not the same clay I use on the exterior paint.

That's actually a really good idea!...clay car, then just use that used up clay bar to grab all the bits of crap you can't get to.
    I like it!

As for covering stuff...I'd say go ahead and cover the alternator, maybe the fuse box just to be on the safe side, but really as long as you let things dry out completely after you're done, you shouldn't have any problems. You get electrical problems when you get excited and start her up to soon, with water still sitting somewhere. That's when shit is gonna start shorting out.
    Personally, I never cover anything. I just make sure to leave the bay sitting for a couple hours with the hood up, and let it dry out really well.
    Never had a problem.

Electric leaf blowers work wonders on drying a engine bay.

Expample... ^ Just cover everything with foil and plastic bags.... THEN SPRAY AWAY!... BUT!... make sure you dry all plugs and connectors before starting car to be sure.

pick up a spray can of Gunk engine degreaser. make sure the engine is warm when u apply.. also apply when it's running...and then close the hood sagger notch. leave engine running,... this product decreases the engine compartment by itself... maybe a lil wiping here and there. after about 10 min of so( it'll look like the engine is smoking during this time) jus hose it off. don't be retarded and spray water directly into ur air filter( AND DONT SATURATE UR FILTER...ITLL REMOVE THE OIL ON IT) also don't spray directly into the alternator either... it's ok to get the engine wet, what the hell u think happens when it rains????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information