Close

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

obx race headers?

I heard a lot of bad reviews of the company itself but has anyone ever experience wit these before?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    The company makes copies of already established products. When it comes to standard bolt ons most of you guys on here think you need an expensive header because alot of $$$$ in the import world seems to mean that a product is of high quality, but that isn't always true. If you're just buying a CAI, exhaust, or header you'd be stupid to dump $$$$ on one of those if you are only DDing your Ep. My suggestion, if you're not going for a show car or a HUGE whp engine build, the OBX bolt ons will be as good as anything you can buy for the price.

I've had 3 race headers since I've owned my Ep3. First an RSX-S first gen DCRH, then a RSX-S Buddy Club header, and finally a OBX gen 2 RH (stainless copy of the Comptech RH). The OBX has been the longest lived and most reliable of those three. The ceramic coated DCRH rusted out AFTER the flex pipe cracked. The Buddy Club RH just fell apart one spring at a time, not to mention the stainless was of shotty quality (just like the OBX, but the OBX was 1/3rd the cost). The OBX Gen 2 RH has faithfully served me through the last couple of years problem free. It's honestly up to you, but alot of the money conscious guys are going to say the same thing.

If you are going to buy OBX ITB's, LSD, or anything with many moving components however, be advised you'll have to rebuild or fix them before you install them. They have no quality control, so the OBX items with moving parts often times need to be fixed or upgraded.

Excuse any rambling as I have insomnia at the moment, but thought I'd try to help answer questions on the forums.

Thanks for the reply. I was doing research and by your experience it seems like these headers are the best bang for the buck. I was just curious cuz obx review on the company itself have fitment issues. Can't wait till it comes in.

I'd go with the KiddRACING/Private Label/CRSX header, it's the best bang for the buck IMHO! That's the header I'm getting down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by MIGEEZY View Post
    I'd go with the KiddRACING/Private Label/CRSX header, it's the best bang for the buck IMHO! That's the header I'm getting down the road.
    He's looking at a $300 ebay RH that is a decent build for what it is. He wasn't asking for your opinion on what brand of header he should get, hopefully those headers work out for you. I personally think that the obx v2 is a great product IMHO! LOL. Why would you spend 600- 700 bucks on a header that puts out 2-3 more WHP?

Yea I'm buying the headers used. It bolted on his a3 and did a k24 swap and still ran it. He heat wrapped it. What's the point of that?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead228 View Post
    Yea I'm buying the headers used. It bolted on his a3 and did a k24 swap and still ran it. He heat wrapped it. What's the point of that?
    If he heat wrapped them it was to prevent a ton of heat in the engine bay and to keep the intake from getting heat soak (assuming he is not using a cai).
    BTW wrapping your header can lead to cracking, i wouldn't do it.

Please stay away from OBX. I have experienced bad things in the past with their quality and fitment. If you can't afford a nicer header just wait and save up a little and you will be very happy you did! :) Oh also keep in mind that if you do get a race header it is a good idea to upgrade your mounts or at least do mount inserts- This prevents any premature cracking or broken welds

Registered User kale's blue ep3's Avatar
    do they obx rh rust?

I think I heard that obx is better than the dc RH

I don't know of any rust issues with obx but that could be possible.. the issue obx has is with their quality.. they break very easily and seem to be cheaply made. I don't think that DC has the best products either but IMO the craftsmanship of DC is much better than OBX

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan13 View Post
    I don't know of any rust issues with obx but that could be possible.. the issue obx has is with their quality.. they break very easily and seem to be cheaply made. I don't think that DC has the best products either but IMO the craftsmanship of DC is much better than OBX
    Tell me the differences between the DCRH and the OBX RH? PLEASE

When I had the obx header I had no problems for a couple years. No rust issues, cracking or flexing issues, the finish held up also, just needed a clean after 2 years. In fact a fellow user is now in possesion of my old obx header and he still loves it. The only reason I swapped over to a new RH is because of k24 fitment. For the price you CANNOT beat OBX bolt on products. HANDS DOWN, if you daily your car and want a RH...obx is the way to go...Don't question me! LOL

from the headers i was looking at, the DC (ceramic) was like the only one made of mild steel, which is why they didn't want you to wrap it. whether it rusts or not IDK, but all the other headers are made of stainless, which is alot more resistant to rust.

Quote Originally Posted by AKEP View Post
    from the headers i was looking at, the DC (ceramic) was like the only one made of mild steel, which is why they didn't want you to wrap it. whether it rusts or not IDK, but all the other headers are made of stainless, which is alot more resistant to rust.
    yes

My OBX RH vers 2 is still looking good and has not rust. Fitment was really good too.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information