Close

'04-05 tailights to '02-03 conversion

alright guys. here's the problem, i understand the '04-05s use different sockets and bulbs from the '02-03s, but i've already ordered my new turn signal sockets and reverse sockets, and i have no idea where to get new pigtails for them, so i can't rewire the harnesses even if i wanted to.

i know some of you guys have already done the conversion, so any ideas?

Red lamin-x and you can make it work. Maybe even get it to look like the type-r tails.

You can mask off the reverse circle on your 04-05 tails and go to town with Van's red tail light paint. Made specifically for plastic...lights to be exact. Thats what I did back in the day:

Another option is to take a piece of plastic ie. from a plastics/lexan store and cut out a circle/glue it to the taillight and cut out the grooves/tabs so your 04-05 light sockets can plug right into place. My aunt did this to my 02-03 tails and it came out super clean.

Another option is to either use the Van's red tail light paint i suggested earlier or cop some red laminix film and cover the orange part of your 04-05 tails if your going for a type R look.

BUMP for the OP.

P.S. If only you were in the San Francisco Bay Area, you could buy my mint condition 02-03 tails with the custom piece. Direct plug and play.
    Last edited by DRP967; 02-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.

i just used contact paper from home depot and put the car to accesory and put it in reverse and traced out the circle. then cut out the cirlce placed it over the reverse light and sprayed it with duplicolor metallic red. looked pretty good imo. just dont go overboard on the paint haha

hahah well i guess i forgot to mention i'm asking this because i already have the 02-03 tails. the only thing i can think of is for the guy i traded with to send me his old pig tails and i send him mine.. i shoulda thought of those ideas before i traded hahaha

bumppp. i wanna know how to do this :(

Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    bumppp. i wanna know how to do this :(
    Ditto, what exactly is needed in terms of socket/harness/etc.

Right now I have 02-03 tails on but they have custom fabbed plastic pieces with grooves to hold the socket from Tap Plastic. If this pair of taillights ever gets damaged I will need those custom fabbed pieces again but would rather have everything set up for plug and play.

yeah.. i have already ordered my sockets, but it's stupid how they don't even sell the pig tails, so i have to trade my pig tails with another EP owner

ephatch member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyndon View Post
    yeah.. i have already ordered my sockets, but it's stupid how they don't even sell the pig tails, so i have to trade my pig tails with another EP owner
    Have you referenced honda parts for them? I'm pretty sure you can buy the connectors for the the sockets, pigtails and crap seperately. I bought the connectors for my front bumper lenses and they didn't have pigtails either. I have to order the wires with the little metal tips seperately. Let me see if I can find the part numbers I am talking about.

If you look at this picture: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5s01_b0720.png

in the top left it says pigtail and terminal socket, call up Honda and see if you can order the correct pigtails for the tail lights from them.
    Last edited by blue2turbo; 02-24-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Thread Information