Close

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Question A3 is gone! Going K24A1 + JRSC + Cams ETC Questions

Well my K20A3 is dead and I'm going to have a K24A1 swapped in. Whats the smallest pulley I can run on the JRSC for boost? I was going to swap the accord crank pulley on my A3 since I'm running the 3.8' pulley to up the boost. I'm not sure if the K24A1 changes things, pardon my ignorance.

My current mods are:

JRSC
    3.8" Pulley
    440cc Injectors
    Injen 3" CAI
    KRRH/CRSX RH
    Custom 3" Exhaust
    K-Pro
    Innovative Motor Mounts (All 4)
    CC Stage 4 w/Lightweight Flywheel

When the K24A1 is swapped in I will be reusing most of the above and adding:

Rebuilt/Ported JRSC from Stiegemeier
    Ported Throttle Body
    Crower Stage 2 Cams
    AIS Methanol Kit w/11GPH nozzle
    650cc Injectors
    And if money allows a 6spd trans w/ LSD

What pulley setup should I run to get ~11-12lbs of boost out the M62? I'm looking to crack 300whp. What should the rev limit be? Should I grab a set of supertech valve springs + retainers? Should I add a Hybrid Racing Chain Tensioner? Will the KRRH/CRSX RH fit fine with the K24A1?

What sucks about this whole deal was the day before the motor went I was working out buying a complete rear 03 Cobra IRS for my FD!!! Guess she'll have to wait!

Thanks to those that offer advice!

It never hurts to have an updated valvetrain. I would DEFINITLY upgrade the springs, especially if you plan on doing a little racing. The hybrid tct is a good idea since you are going with cams, but I heard that hybrid has had some issues with the pins that hold the ratchet mechanism in place. Do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy ep3 View Post
    It never hurts to have an updated valvetrain. I would DEFINITLY upgrade the springs, especially if you plan on doing a little racing. The hybrid tct is a good idea since you are going with cams, but I heard that hybrid has had some issues with the pins that hold the ratchet mechanism in place. Do some research.
    Sounds like I'll grab new valve springs and retainers. What TCT would you recommend then? I know the Skunk 2 has issues as well.. Should the stock hold up fine? I've done research but it always half saying it's good and the other half saying it has issues. Gotta love the internet.

Will I be fine with the stock Oil Pump?

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    wat happened to ur a3?

Quote Originally Posted by superchargedk20 View Post
    wat happened to ur a3?
    Went from 4th @ 4.5k rpm to 3rd. :facepalm:

Thats what I get for drinking... whatever though at least its given me a good reason to try and break 300whp, haha

The KRRH/CRSX will be good. You'll need to run an EM2 front sway or no front sway to run it though.

Quote Originally Posted by vicx52o View Post
    The KRRH/CRSX will be good. You'll need to run an EM2 front sway or no front sway to run it though.
    Thanks! I'll go ahead and grab one!

Anyone know what JRSC pulley I should run if I run the Accord crank pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by neoamd View Post
    Well my K20A3 is dead and I'm going to have a K24A1 swapped in. Whats the smallest pulley I can run on the JRSC for boost? I was going to swap the accord crank pulley on my A3 since I'm running the 3.8' pulley to up the boost. I'm not sure if the K24A1 changes things, pardon my ignorance.

My current mods are:

JRSC
    3.8" Pulley
    440cc Injectors
    Injen 3" CAI
    KRRH/CRSX RH
    Custom 3" Exhaust
    K-Pro
    Innovative Motor Mounts (All 4)
    CC Stage 4 w/Lightweight Flywheel

When the K24A1 is swapped in I will be reusing most of the above and adding:

Rebuilt/Ported JRSC from Stiegemeier
    Ported Throttle Body
    Crower Stage 2 Cams
    AIS Methanol Kit w/11GPH nozzle
    650cc Injectors
    And if money allows a 6spd trans w/ LSD

What pulley setup should I run to get ~11-12lbs of boost out the M62? I'm looking to crack 300whp. What should the rev limit be? Should I grab a set of supertech valve springs + retainers? Should I add a Hybrid Racing Chain Tensioner? Will the KRRH/CRSX RH fit fine with the K24A1?

What sucks about this whole deal was the day before the motor went I was working out buying a complete rear 03 Cobra IRS for my FD!!! Guess she'll have to wait!

Thanks to those that offer advice!
    alright on the A1 your best bet would be to use the accord pulley with the 3.8 you have, youll be sitting in the 10psi-11psi range depending on cam angles during tuning. as for cams i would personally go with the a2 cams in your setup (ivtec killer) with supertech single springs, you can use oem spring bases and retainers so it keeps cost down and the more oem means less chance for issue's, and because the oem cams (even vtec love) dont have the aggressive ramp that the aftermarkets do so thats less chain and tct stresses. and when you get the blower back i want pics :) ive seen stiegmeir's work first hand and i give thumbs up, no other way about it. and if you run the 14gph meth nozzle you actually dont need to up to 650's, my duty cycle warrants me going with my next setup whenever i make up my mind with it :( 300whp is easily in reach, im hoping to attain that with my a3 which i will do, but if you want to stick with aftermarket cams i;d suggest skunk2 stage 2's. theyre more aggressive with the fasramp technology so they cram more compressed air into each cylinder which will equal less boost on the gauge, but a higher graph on the dyno plot if you catch my drift (i have a brand new in box set for sale cheaper than skunk2's garage sale if your intersted). the other problem with that motor would be rev limit. that motor has such a long stroke its almost a good idea to keep it to 7500 just to be safe, thats just me though. good luck man keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by 04EP3Hatch View Post
    alright on the A1 your best bet would be to use the accord pulley with the 3.8 you have, youll be sitting in the 10psi-11psi range depending on cam angles during tuning. as for cams i would personally go with the a2 cams in your setup (ivtec killer) with supertech single springs, you can use oem spring bases and retainers so it keeps cost down and the more oem means less chance for issue's, and because the oem cams (even vtec love) dont have the aggressive ramp that the aftermarkets do so thats less chain and tct stresses. and when you get the blower back i want pics :) ive seen stiegmeir's work first hand and i give thumbs up, no other way about it. that motor has such a long stroke its almost a good idea to keep it to 7500 just to be safe, thats just me though. good luck man keep us posted!
    Good to know. I'll just buy the Skeletor K24 crank pulley and have it swapped out. Why no 3.7 pulley love =P

I'm not really a fan of the vtec killer setup. If I went that route I would just buy a K20A2 head. I've read a lot on the BC Stg 2's vs the Skunk2 Stg 2's and the BCs seem like the safer bet. I'm going to get some SuperTech single valve springs w/ retainers to match with the BC cams I have. With this whole swap going on I don't really have the cash to spare to buy another set of cams just to try them out. Also I'm going to grab a set of 650cc injectors just to be safe since I'll have it tuned out without the meth and then with. Better safe than sorry in my book!

You should install those cams man!! Do it and make more power than my car will with a A1, I would RAGE, hahaha.

Reason for the money issue is that I'm going to try and squeeze in a Z3 tranny in the swap so I can have an LSD and sweet 6th gear! I'm hoping with all my current mods + SC porting, TB porting, Cams, Meth, Skeletor Crank Pulley, and MAYBE a 3.7 pulley I can break 300whp. If I can make it out with a 6 spd with a diff I'll be in heaven. Hell if the car doesn't put down the power I'm hoping for I have a N20 kit sitting here with a 35 and 50 shot jets ready to go!!! I kid on the N20, haha maybe :ninja:

Quote Originally Posted by neoamd View Post
    Good to know. I'll just buy the Skeletor K24 crank pulley and have it swapped out. Why no 3.7 pulley love =P

I'm not really a fan of the vtec killer setup. If I went that route I would just buy a K20A2 head. I've read a lot on the BC Stg 2's vs the Skunk2 Stg 2's and the BCs seem like the safer bet. I'm going to get some SuperTech single valve springs w/ retainers to match with the BC cams I have. With this whole swap going on I don't really have the cash to spare to buy another set of cams just to try them out. Also I'm going to grab a set of 650cc injectors just to be safe since I'll have it tuned out without the meth and then with. Better safe than sorry in my book!

You should install those cams man!! Do it and make more power than my car will with a A1, I would RAGE, hahaha.

Reason for the money issue is that I'm going to try and squeeze in a Z3 tranny in the swap so I can have an LSD and sweet 6th gear! I'm hoping with all my current mods + SC porting, TB porting, Cams, Meth, Skeletor Crank Pulley, and MAYBE a 3.7 pulley I can break 300whp. If I can make it out with a 6 spd with a diff I'll be in heaven. Hell if the car doesn't put down the power I'm hoping for I have a N20 kit sitting here with a 35 and 50 shot jets ready to go!!! I kid on the N20, haha maybe :ninja:
    i forget where i heard it but the 3.7 added to the mix will only cause slippage issues, yes i know the larger CP is more surface area the the BP is slightly less, but the CP is trying to spin all the accessorys faster than average so that will easily cause some slippin, as for the tranny dude id suggest sticking your 5 speed and getting the 6speed conversion from CRSX (6th gear is only for fuel mileage), with the A1's available torque and the much lower redline than your stock Z3, you'd be shifting a hell of a lot more. if you get a six speed than at least get a taller fin al drive to leave you in each gear a little longer to make use of all your power.

i forget where i heard it but the 3.7 added to the mix will only cause slippage issues, yes i know the larger CP is more surface area the the BP is slightly less, but the CP is trying to spin all the accessorys faster than average so that will easily cause some slippin, as for the tranny dude id suggest sticking your 5 speed and getting the 6speed conversion from CRSX (6th gear is only for fuel mileage), with the A1's available torque and the much lower redline than your stock Z3, you'd be shifting a hell of a lot more. if you get a six speed than at least get a taller fin al drive to leave you in each gear a little longer to make use of all your power.
    Good point, didn't realize it was that big of a difference. I'm just really looking for a nice gas saving 6th without sacrificing to much. My worst case option would just be to get a Type S trans and have an LSD installed because of ease unless someone has a EP3 trans for sale. I'm tired of being @ 4k at ~78mph. My tire size is 215/40/17.

Maybe the EP3 trans with a TSX 6th, OEM LSD, and stock final drive would be best. This car is my daily driver and I'm just after the power for fun. My RX-7 is alot more tolerable on the highway since I can ride at 100mph @ 2600rpm. I miss the torque and the gearing.............
    Last edited by neoamd; 02-24-2011 at 02:35 PM.

yea the tsx 6th and oem lsd would be a very nice trans setup in the car you plan on bulding, i really hate the 5th gear rpms in my car too lol

yea the tsx 6th and oem lsd would be a very nice trans setup in the car you plan on bulding, i really hate the 5th gear rpms in my car too lol
    haha I hear you on that. My only issue I can't deal with the extra down time of having the trans sent out on top the swap. I will be pulling the JRSC before it's towed to the shop so I can send it off to Stiegemeier in advance. The only option would be to buy another EP3 trans and sell off my old one after all is said and done. Not sure I can swing that just yet.

ephatch member
    to save time, just have everything that you might buy for the swap shipped to Johnny's. That is what I did and also hand delivered coolant, oil and tranny fluid. Johnny was even nice enough to pressure wash the engine bay for free and clean the new motor before they installed it.

Quote Originally Posted by AUTiger View Post
    to save time, just have everything that you might buy for the swap shipped to Johnny's. That is what I did and also hand delivered coolant, oil and tranny fluid. Johnny was even nice enough to pressure wash the engine bay for free and clean the new motor before they installed it.
    Thats what I'll be doing. Hell thats the only reason I'm pulling the SC off, haha. I'm having the motor shipped to him and will be bringing the rest of the parts with me. I hoping that I've accounted for and thought of pretty much everything. Once I drop the car of there I'll prob come back after 3-5 days to take some time off and crash at my cousins house. Work has ravaged me and time off would be nice.

If only more EP3 owners were local with parts stacked to the ceiling.. one can dream right. I'll check with him on pressure washing the motor and the engine bay since that would be nice. Now I'm doubting the cams since I haven't found anyone running a K24A1 with em on a boosted setup. Turbo vs SC is the big difference. Not sure if the power difference would be worth it vs just going with a K20A2 head with stock cams in it. FML

My eyes are bleeding from CRSX, K20a, and HT.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information