Close

Spoiler Depot Wing help

Hey guys, i finally bought the type R style wing i always wanted from spoilerdepot.com. Im excited about getting it and putting it on but the only thing that concered me was that the lady on the phone when i orderd told me that i would have to drill new holes in the hatch for it to match up right? I was just wondering if anyone else got the same wing and is it hard to install it?
    Thanks in advance

I've got an HFP Wing (OEM fitment FTW). I've never installed a replica, so all I know is that the hatch needs to be drilled to run the wiring for the 3rd brake light.
    The instructions say to drill it at 20mm so the pigtail will fit, but I found (after removing the 3rd brake light) that theres simple/small wire connectors in there, so my drill hole's only about 5mm...

Probably didn't, but I hope that helped!

Thanks,
    Yea i knew about the hole you had to drill for the wires. But she was talking bout having to drill all new holes so i could match the bolt holes up that actually hold the wing on. I have no clue why they wouldnt just use the existing holes that the stock wing uses lol i guess i will see when it comes!!

Anyone else have this same wing?

Quote Originally Posted by 02ep3SLAUGHTER View Post
    Thanks,
    Yea i knew about the hole you had to drill for the wires. But she was talking bout having to drill all new holes so i could match the bolt holes up that actually hold the wing on. I have no clue why they wouldnt just use the existing holes that the stock wing uses lol i guess i will see when it comes!!
    Their is a possibility that it is a CTR rep, and it has the notches that fit the JDM hatch.
    There is a thread about the hatch on that JDM section.
    Modding the glass is impractical so people just mod the wing.
    WTS: 17" beater wheels 4 lug, Dell Studio 1555 Laptop, Volvo Lip, Nikon mount lenses, BuddyClub wing, and more. PM me.
    http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...110#post935110

I recall someone else having the spoiler depot wing. Did you get the wing yet or are you just basing this off of the phone conversation? From what I recall the holes were correct but it sat a little high. The height issue was fixed by shaving down the wing where it meets the glass. If you got it prepainted, which is a pretty good deal from them, I don't know if you'll want to shave it down.

Quote Originally Posted by nmysiismyn View Post
    I've got an HFP Wing (OEM fitment FTW). I've never installed a replica, so all I know is that the hatch needs to be drilled to run the wiring for the 3rd brake light.
    The instructions say to drill it at 20mm so the pigtail will fit, but I found (after removing the 3rd brake light) that theres simple/small wire connectors in there, so my drill hole's only about 5mm...

Probably didn't, but I hope that helped!
    I didn't have to drill a hole for my CTR replica third brake light. I just ran it through one of the screw holes into the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by EPSU3 View Post
    I recall someone else having the spoiler depot wing. Did you get the wing yet or are you just basing this off of the phone conversation? From what I recall the holes were correct but it sat a little high. The height issue was fixed by shaving down the wing where it meets the glass. If you got it prepainted, which is a pretty good deal from them, I don't know if you'll want to shave it down.
    Yea i havnt got it yet.. i just figured id ask the forum before i did cause im anxious lol.. Im hoping the holes like up, if not i can make it work.. BUt i dont think it will need shaving by the glass cause its not an actual Type R wing so it should be fine for that part

I figure its like my buddy club wing just have to shave the 2 extra holes off the spoiler and fiberglass them up i wouldnt think you would have to drill all new holes,or at least i hope not good luck and keep us posted.

I have the spoilerdepot spoiler. I do recall it somehow not matching up perfectly with all the holes but i didnt redrill anything. I think i just used the holes that did line up. I dont remember exactly cuz it was a few years ago. I hope you didnt buy it painted because the quality of paint sucks and it chips veryvery easily. Mine came still sticky with a few chips:( best of luck though!

I was considering getting the spoilerdepot rep but good thing luck was on my side. About a week ago, I got a new HFP spoiler for less than $100 from HandA.

Quote Originally Posted by sbRR View Post
    I was considering getting the spoilerdepot rep but good thing luck was on my side. About a week ago, I got a new HFP spoiler for less than $100 from HandA.
    cool avatar dude

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    I have the spoilerdepot spoiler. I do recall it somehow not matching up perfectly with all the holes but i didnt redrill anything. I think i just used the holes that did line up. I dont remember exactly cuz it was a few years ago. I hope you didnt buy it painted because the quality of paint sucks and it chips veryvery easily. Mine came still sticky with a few chips:( best of luck though!

Thanks for the input. Ive seen the fitment of it on a car before and i thought it looked good so i went for it.. ha Dont tell me the paint sucks! =[ i did get it painted so i hope it turns out ok.. I am still waiting for it to come in tho! it was on back order but i should get it in a week or so! so ill keep yall posted

Ok, so after almost 3 months, the spoiler finally came in. It was on some rediculous back order but anways... Instead of having maybe an hour install to do everything it turned into about 5 hours lol.. When wiring the 3rd brake light my friend accedently touched the wires together and blew a fuse that took forever to find. All of a sudden my brake lights quit working and my horn didnt work and we didnt realize there is a fuse specifically for your horn/tail lights. But Overall the spoiler lined up mostly decent with the stock mounting holes, i did however have to drill them out a lil bigger to fit where i needed them. The fitment of the wing is great where it meets the glass. Where it meets the roof it sits between an 1/8 or 1/4" higher but its really not that bad.. So Overall I'm happy with the fitment.. THe paint did sorta suck tho... Came with a few little nicks and had no clear coat by the tips of the wing but, i think ill be satisfied.. THanks for all yall's help!

Pics!!!

Thread Information