Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How To: Modify OEM Auto Tensioner for JRSC

Here's a quick "How To" on how to modify your OEM auto tensioner to work with your JRSC setup on an EP3 (K20A3). I don't take credit for figuring out how this works. I'm just putting all this information together in one post so people will not have to search through multiple threads and posts. Credit goes out to neoamd, 04EP3Hatch, K20A EP3, Ba82Ep3, Jmercado (of clubrsx.com), and others for posting up info related to the tensioner. I'd also like to thank ecsahs3 for donating an OEM auto tensioner to me.

For this "How To" I will be referring to a JRSC Race setup on a K20A3 (which includes a JRSC, 440 injectors, 3.8" SC Pulley, the k24 "skeletor" crank pulley, and the 3" idler pulley on the OEM tensioner).

What you need:
    OEM Auto Tensioner (K20A3)
    Cut-off tool, preferably an air powered one
    A belt equivalent to the Gates/Gatorback k070622 (neoamd also suggests a K080620 with a rib removed)

First step:
    You want to remove one of the mounting points on the OEM tensioner that will hit the neck of the JRSC. The part that needs to be removed is circled in red:

I'd suggest doing this with an air powered cut off tool. Be sure to wear protective eye wear and some heavy duty gloves. Dust/debris from the tensioner will be flying everywhere.

Once done, it should look like this:

Be careful, where you cut the chunk off will be sharp. I'd also suggest smoothing it up with an angle grinder or grinding wheel if you have access to one.

Once the tensioner has been modded, install it in place of your manual tensioner. You will only need two bolts to mount the OEM tensioner. Depending on the JRSC pulley and crank pulley you are using, you can most likely use the Gates/Goodyear k070622 or as neoamd suggests, the Gates/Goodyear k080620 with a rib cut off for some extra snugness. I'd suggest putting the belt on all of the pulleys and leaving the S/C pulley for last. Like most auto tensioners, use a long handled socket wrench to swing the tensioner arm loose and create slack. I needed an extra hand to hold the wrench while I forced the belt over the S/C pulley. Start up the car and check for any noises.

That's it:

More links if this "how to" doesn't help you much.

k24 skeletor pulley

Modding OEM Tensioner Discussion
    Last edited by beechstreet; 05-30-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Excellent! Maybe add a good installed pic to show SC snout clearance? STICKY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ba82Ep3 View Post
    Excellent! Maybe add a good installed pic to show SC snout clearance? STICKY!!
    good idea. Will do today!

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    I like that it is in the "How To" section, but do you mind if I move and STICKY it in the JRSC section?

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    I like that it is in the "How To" section, but do you mind if I move and STICKY it in the JRSC section?
    Fine with me!

Great mod. Just cant wait to put it to use..

Easy as pie! :-)

Ya props. I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Do you happen to have a pic of the other side of the auto tensioner after you cut it?

Quote Originally Posted by 05 hatch View Post
    Ya props. I'm gonna try this tomorrow. Do you happen to have a pic of the other side of the auto tensioner after you cut it?
    Sure do. This is first auto tensioner I chopped up, but its basically the same as the one I'm using now.

Thank u very much sir. I am gonna do this in about an hour, hopefully nothing goes wrong! And then, boosted fun and a tune tomorrow morning. Hopefully 230-240 hp. I'ts gonna be tight.

Nice "How to" Thanks :)))

did you still shave the tab to allow more movement? I tried this today with out shaving the tab, and the belt was jumping over the SC pulley. Im guessing I need to shave the tab.

Quote Originally Posted by skoolnu View Post
    did you still shave the tab to allow more movement? I tried this today with out shaving the tab, and the belt was jumping over the SC pulley. Im guessing I need to shave the tab.
    I didn't shave the tab on the tensioner I am currently using. I did it on a previous tensioner and it caused the tensioner pulley to hit the SC pulley. Are you using the K24 skeletor crank pulley or A3 crank pulley? You may need to find a shorter belt if its not staying tight on the A3 crank pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by beechstreet View Post
    I didn't shave the tab on the tensioner I am currently using. I did it on a previous tensioner and it caused the tensioner pulley to hit the SC pulley. Are you using the K24 skeletor crank pulley or A3 crank pulley? You may need to find a shorter belt if its not staying tight on the A3 crank pulley.
    Still had the a3 CP on. I have a k24 pulley ill be putting on and trying this again. how much of a bitch should it be to wrap the belt on the blower pulley? cause this was damn easy.

Quote Originally Posted by skoolnu View Post
    Still had the a3 CP on. I have a k24 pulley ill be putting on and trying this again. how much of a bitch should it be to wrap the belt on the blower pulley? cause this was damn easy.
    with the k24 CP I had to have a 2nd person help pull the belt over SC pulley while I held the wrench to create slack on the tensioner. Its a tight fit. I couldnt get the K080620 belt on because it was so tight, so I had to go with the k070622. Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information