Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ephatch member
    yes i have been wondering the same thing can we swap out just the rsx type s head onto our si's i know the compression ratio in teh type s is 11:1 (still boggles my mind how race fuel isnt mandatory lmost) n our compressionis a 9.8:1. if we did the type s head swap would it work with a direct bolt on and would we have to dish out pistons to lower teh compression back down. Lastly if a turbo application came( i know many our but its always best to wait and see teh reports) would there be any sort of a problem on mounting it up right to an si with type s head? Very interested to see if this head swap would work. I remember the older acuras and hondas part were interchangable for the most part....

2002 EP & 2013 FB - K24 all day! SinisterCivicSi's Avatar
    ok, i have a question.....the 2002 si's - what engine do they come with, the k20a2 or 3?
    there is a reason behind my question....
    i just got a new short block and it said k20a3......i thought i had a 2 by what someone told me....never thought twice about it until now.

Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
    ok, i have a question.....the 2002 si's - what engine do they come with, the k20a2 or 3?
    i just got a new short block and it said k20a3......i thought i had a 2 by what someone told me....never thought twice about it until now.
    K20a3

Originally posted by SinisterCivicSi
    hehe I'ld flip if you had an a2 all this time. :) ;)

i think a head swap would work w/new pistons, cams and injectors. sinse it's already beendone with the k24 a number of times. =)...although I don't know how much $$$ [plus ecu]

Loopylove R
    I would like to know as well if a cam swap would be an alternative to engine swap. I just heard though that with a cam swap to Type S or Type R you would require new pistons, valves,valve springs, and lots of elbow grease and probably reprogramming. So I guess a complete head swap. Let me know if I am in left field.

Originally posted by Loopylove R
    I would like to know as well if a cam swap would be an alternative to engine swap. I just heard though that with a cam swap to Type S or Type R you would require new pistons, valves,valve springs, and lots of elbow grease and probably reprogramming. So I guess a complete head swap. Let me know if I am in left field.
    You are in section "F" of the parking lot behind the left field bleachers.

Loopylove R
    lol Can you be a little more direct. And supply a link to where I can get the info on this.

OK, my first response was probably not the most informative;)
    IF the A2 cams can be swapped directly into the A3 head (and that's a big if), you would get a bigger cam lobe and some increased performance. Not heard of anyone that has tried it. The gains will be limited by the lower compression of the A3 motor and the fact that the A3 head does not breathe as well as the A2 (never had that explained in detail though). If the head breathes better, its easily worth it to swap heads and not just cams. If you're going to go to the trouble to do either the cams or the head, it's not much more trouble or money to do the whole motor. The A2 motor with higher compression has a LOT more potential for NA horsepower. Now if you plan to go turbo or S/C, the lower compression of the A3 is better suited.

Loopylove R
    Thanks bro. But here is another question. :D What is the cost of an A2. I haven't been looking for it so I don't know how much it would go for. I have been looking at the K20A JDM Type-R Engine. I think the going rate for that is about $5800 USD. I also saw the Hytech package for the A2 that claims to produce 270hp to the wheels. I am just trying to figure out the best option. My Budget is about 10K$ USD. (Almost there)

After test driving the STi, my little 02SIR just doesn't feel, well, the same. And now looking at pictures of the 04 with 5lugs and crap on it, Another messed up marketing bull crap like the TSX. </venting>

Thanks again.

Originally posted by Loopylove R
    Thanks bro. But here is another question. :D What is the cost of an A2. I haven't been looking for it so I don't know how much it would go for. I have been looking at the K20A JDM Type-R Engine. I think the going rate for that is about $5800 USD. I also saw the Hytech package for the A2 that claims to produce 270hp to the wheels. I am just trying to figure out the best option. My Budget is about 10K$ USD. (Almost there)

Thanks again.
    10K$ !! You can do a lot with that! I got a very good, low mileage A2 and 6 speed trans. for $3,500.00. The K20A costs twice as much and it is not twice as good. With 10K you could do the A2 & 6spd and have plenty of $ left over for suspension, wheels and a sound system.

Originally posted by S800Racer
    10K$ !! You can do a lot with that! I got a very good, low mileage A2 and 6 speed trans. for $3,500.00. The K20A costs twice as much and it is not twice as good. With 10K you could do the A2 & 6spd and have plenty of $ left over for suspension, wheels and a sound system.
    with 10k he could get a k20a2 and the hytech upgrades to get 270whp.

scare the shit out of people with yer egg :shockm:

What's the major diff. between the K20A and the A2, most likely I'll be doing a swap and my wallet likes the A2, I know hp is diff.(duh) and the LSD is a big plus for the K20A but what internals can be swapped between the two or any kits available to get the K20A2 up to spec and avoid spending the extra buck (or couple thousand bucks) for the K20A.

um..closer ratio tranny, cams, pistons ...I think... PM PORT he knows, he has had both engines, or ask the guys on clubrsx. =)
    I would go for the jdm k20a itr myself.

to be honest the k20a is a sweet ass engine, its 220hp versus the a2's 200 and theres a clip of a guys with one in here in his ep and i think the video shows it but it ran a 13.97 with apex n1 exhaust only!!! thats tight....but also you got to remember you can do all the same things to an a2 and its half the cost so all in all i'd go a2...and if any of you know where i can find a k20a2 and tranny PLEASE LET ME KNOW...i really need more power and thats the ticket i want...On another note if you got 10k dude you set,,,i'd either get that Hytech kit or go all out TODA racing,,,,the internals kits gives you 220WHP!! remember the 220 and 200 i mentioned earlier are at the crank not at the wheels which makes a huge DIFFERENCE...my friends SRT-4 is 223WHP (stock) and he beat a trans am WS-6 with intake and 67' California Special Mustang with 30K into rebuilding it ( it was a junkyard project) and a Rousch Stage 3 BY 6 cars and didnt even get into 4th gear....THATS a 4 door with 223WHP imagine our cars weighing less...how fast they'd be...I'm not bullshitin you either..

Here is a link that will help any novice tuner understand more about engines in general. Alot of reading but very well written! Enjoy:D

LINK
    Last edited by myeverlovinsir; 12-27-2003 at 03:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information