Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fogged headlight covers.

Hi guys n gals, just got a 2005 ephatch and I LOVE IT!!! been wanting one for awhile and finaly found THE perfect car! SO stoked!

Well, almost perfect, the headlight covers are a bit oxidized in a few spots and i want to polish them, just not sure what to use. Any advice?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by civizen View Post
    Hi guys n gals, just got a 2005 ephatch and I LOVE IT!!! been wanting one for awhile and finaly found THE perfect car! SO stoked!

Well, almost perfect, the headlight covers are a bit oxidized in a few spots and i want to polish them, just not sure what to use. Any advice?

Thanks!

Google results for "ephatch.com: headlight restoration"

Next time, rather than starting a new thread, try our awesome search engine, Google search: ephatch.com: [keyword(s)], or post your quick questions on [this thread]
    Congrats on the car and enjoy your new EPCrack addiction.

ephatch member
    Go buy the 3m Restoration kit from advanced auto. Did it to my VW when I had it and it made a HUGE difference.

Quote Originally Posted by blue2turbo View Post
    Go buy the 3m Restoration kit from advanced auto. Did it to my VW when I had it and it made a HUGE difference.
    Thanks! Thats what I did. Worked pretty good but I probably need to go over it again, just to make them perfect.

toothpaste

Ive done this myself and found just paying a professional is best with this,I had my headlights restored and other than them looking brand new, they also applied an invisible coat to protect my headlights from getting hazed and scratched as well as it having a 3 year warranty. I think it was money well spent though I know others have done a great job on their headlights, I guess it just depends on how skilled you are.

It isnt a simple process as many others would lead people to believe.

Alright hopefully somebody reads this, coz I didn't want to start yet another "de-haze my headlights" thread.
    I've got a '96 Accord DD, and the headlights are a little hazy. Problem is, the surface looks almost like clearcoat peeling off or something. Am I going to have to wet sand these to make them nice again?
    If so, what grits should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-X View Post
    Alright hopefully somebody reads this, coz I didn't want to start yet another "de-haze my headlights" thread.
    I've got a '96 Accord DD, and the headlights are a little hazy. Problem is, the surface looks almost like clearcoat peeling off or something. Am I going to have to wet sand these to make them nice again?
    If so, what grits should I use?
    You might be surprised to know that it might not actually be a clearcoat that's peeling.. It might actually be the outer OEM UV-protective layer of film.

Either way, it definitely needs to be resurfaced through a high-grit wetsanding.

I've wetsanded 3 sets myself. I always went all the way up to 1,500 grit, but where I went wrong was not re-clearcoating them.

I HIGHLY recommend clearcoating them with some hi-heat UV-protective clear though (I think VHT makes some). Otherwise, the headlights won't only need to be redone after a few months to a year; but without that UV protection, the lenses will bake to an irreversible yellow hue.

Just make sure to allow each layer of clearcoat to cure. ESPECIALLY the last layer, so it's hard enough for you to really get down on sanding it finely, polishing and buffing in during the final stages.

It's a lot of work and I don't know how much your "time is money," so I couldn't tell you if it's worth it or not, but... I hope that helps.

After the sanding technique, you can use rubbing compound then use meguiar's plastix to polish those headlights.

I used the Meguiar's plastix and polished mine once I got my car and they looked great but I can see it's already starting to haze over again, just a couple of weeks later.. :-/ I guess, if nothing else, it's an excuse to get the JDM projectors and replace the worn out lights, lol. Would protective film have prevented this? Since it's a used car I know there's not much I can do to change what the previous owner did or did not do... but just wondering..? :)
    Last edited by XzYBiT; 10-09-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Did you apply any wax after using the Meguiar's?

DOH! Thanks!!!! I'll do that this weekend.

Angry

Yea the 3m kit works really well but you gonna need a drill

I used the Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer kit.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Greenwood Village, Colorado, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rd02SiR View Post
    I used the Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer kit.
    Holy Shit what a difference!!! I've been meaning to do this for the longest time, just haven't gotten around to doing it.
    mods:

Stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information