Close

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Possible Future Parts Development Feedback...what you think? what you want? lets talk

Alright, so the auto industry is fucked up still, and i dont have a job. no one is hiring in the rest of my field...it sucks, but im thinking of making my own deal happen. what does that mean?

putting my degree and skills and knowledge together and starting a company and developing automotive parts!

i figured id start off with a couple things for the ep and maybe a spool for a 240 (thatll be a lot more expensive since it will need a broach, and thats expensive)

ive already helped develop race hubs for 84-87 civics and crxs and got that handled, but there wasnt enough interest to make money and we only sold 13 sets, 2 of which went to me...need to stick with vehicles that people actually own and spend money on...

so heres where you all come in, i need feedback from you all so i can identify whats worth it and whats not before i start developing anything, even prototypes...

first item ive been thinking about is an alternative to our rubber boot on the shifter...i know a lot of people dont like it and have replaced it with cloth and that usually looks like a saggy ballsack

so i was thinking of developing a machined gated shifter insert such as this

id consider different finishes on aluminum, or possibly doing some acrylics..idealy it would be a fully bolt in kit that could be removed and your stock shift boot restored...no fabrication or cutting or modification of your dash pieces

also since buddy club discontinued their short shifter, we've been left with nothing but the neuspeed one, and ive also been thinking of developing a short shifter for the ep...i dont know how ill go about it, but id like to maintain more of a stock shifter location like the BC setup does.

next, ive also been considering getting into the suspension geometry game...and that may be for all hondas...since buying my 240sx ive found that various companies sell every piece of the cast or stamped stock geometry pieces in tubular designs with both bushings and spherical bushing connections...for our ep, there are no front LCAs available that offer an alternative to stock besides ITR, and those require more work to have them work...so i figured front LCAs would be another good idea for the ep3...whether they are welded tubular powdercoated steel, or machined aluminum...

what is everyones thoughts on this? everything would be engineered to the highest standards and fully tested before sold

any other items you think people would want?

THANKS GUYS!!!
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

May wind Oct. rain
    Good idea, do you have access to your own tools and machines? I know a ceramic guy who makes those for refinished vintage cars. Nonetheless, good luck on your endeavors.
    Last edited by Windchaser; 03-10-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Wonderful idea. The shifter boot replacement is a great idea and you can put my down for one the second they are out... As long as you come up with a short throw as well that will look nicer sticking out of it lol

But as far as suspension pieces go, this may sound weird, but things like shg_easye is fabricating could be great. Ie; things to correct fucked geometry when lowering a vehicle.

And that steering rack bracket that the guy on crsx sells as well.

I think its a great idea, and even if its a reproduction of something that's already out there (maybe rear lca) its still a great start to get yourself out there, and possible furthermore improve a current design.

Maybe even an ep3 specific front sway that works wonderfully with k24 swaps?

I'm also at work and driving currently so I'll respond with more organized input later but I think anyone trying to reach out to specific needs of the automotive community deserves a shot and I'd be all over anything you could possibly produce

Moderator=>PM 4 Help MugenReplica's Avatar
    I've wanted a shift gate forever! Not to mention something other than these stamped front LCAs. I can't wait to see the designs!

I hope things work out for you, Charles! You have great ideas so far!

if you can do it and you have access to the tools and materials to do it, i say go for it. that shift gate idea sounds great
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

tie rods
    harness bars
    PSN: theehuggybear

I like all of your ideas. I have had the BC SS on my car for over a 100k and there is some definite slack in the plastic ball/pivot point if that could be made more durable and sturdy ie. billet alum. i would totally buy it. There is so much play in my that portion of my shifter its disgusting.

I have been thinking for quite a while on a possible shift gate for the EP3. I would be excited to see what some one else could come up with.

manufacturing oem qualty replacement parts for older civic's is awesome!

i would love to buy oem interior trim pieces.. but they are all discontinued.

thanks for all the great input so far guys...im hoping to stick to items that either havnt been made, or havnt been made well enough for most people...

i have access to anything i need, and the connections for machining and fabrication...

Quote Originally Posted by Windchaser View Post
    Good idea, do you have access to your own tools and machines? I know a ceramic guy who makes those for refinished vintage cars. Nonetheless, good luck on your endeavors.
    thats pretty cool!! any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by ep3jd View Post
    Wonderful idea. The shifter boot replacement is a great idea and you can put my down for one the second they are out... As long as you come up with a short throw as well that will look nicer sticking out of it lol

But as far as suspension pieces go, this may sound weird, but things like shg_easye is fabricating could be great. Ie; things to correct fucked geometry when lowering a vehicle.

And that steering rack bracket that the guy on crsx sells as well.

I think its a great idea, and even if its a reproduction of something that's already out there (maybe rear lca) its still a great start to get yourself out there, and possible furthermore improve a current design.

Maybe even an ep3 specific front sway that works wonderfully with k24 swaps?

I'm also at work and driving currently so I'll respond with more organized input later but I think anyone trying to reach out to specific needs of the automotive community deserves a shot and I'd be all over anything you could possibly produce
    i dont think it will look bad with the stock arm exposed, but thats a good point...the trickiest part as i see it with the shifter is the many variables that can cause fit problems...things such as short shifter geometry changing (most obvious) and making multiple patterns for different shifter setups might not be cost effective, but ill have to make sure it works with the corsport shifter bushings...i mean hell, maybe ill need the user to have them just so the shift pattern is tighter...which im actually thinking will be required...its cheap enough and such a good mod that it dont think people will mind going to the bushings to run the gate.

as for fixing geometry, that may come later, the problem is everyones cars sit at different heights, so making it adjustable would be a must, but then safety may become an issue...well see

i wont step on the crsx guys toes on that one...but i may actually engineer a better one that is ep3 specific to even further correct the geometry, because from what ive seen the rsx one works better on the dc5 than on the ep3

something like rear LCAs would make a lot of sense if i was doing a full geometry replacement...but if im doing anything anyone else has done id like to improve upon it...its kinda an ethic issue with design and product development for me...if the product doesnt improve on an existing one and have value in existing beyond exclusivity or just being new, then i dont see a point

but seriously the k24 swap sway is a great idea, do dc5s have the same issue as well? or is that ep3 specific?

please dont type and drive haha, you can post more once you get to a safe location to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by MugenReplica View Post
    I've wanted a shift gate forever! Not to mention something other than these stamped front LCAs. I can't wait to see the designs!

I hope things work out for you, Charles! You have great ideas so far!
    thanks john! im leaning most towards starting with the shifter gate, then probably suspension geometry pieces

Quote Originally Posted by usedep3 View Post
    if you can do it and you have access to the tools and materials to do it, i say go for it. that shift gate idea sounds great
    thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEP3 View Post
    tie rods
    harness bars
    not so sure i want to get into something like harness bars, unless i can ensure they are perfectly safe...maybe i can come up with something that is 100% safe and allows rear passengers to enter or something...ill have to think about that...
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

ive also been thinking about fabricating a composite duct that goes in the grill opening (usdm or jdm bumper) and bolts to the rebar and pipes up to the intake hose. prolly make it out of black fiberglass, it looks like carbon but is easier to work with and cheaper...but that sounds like a nightmare to figure out since id not only need to fit it, but id also need to calculate the shape and volume to optimize airflow velocity and volume, which means id have to probably work on something like that down the road...
    my ep is white...

I'm loving that first idea! Gated shifters FTW!

good luck can't wait to see more, maybe some rear rebars that will be a direct bolt up for jdm rear bumpers?

Yea man, fabricating something that is like the mugen box (the scoop that comes from under the hood) would be awesome. or something that utilizes the front air duct. if you remove the battery and take a peak from there toward the front bumper..youll see a rather large opening that you could use.

either way, i wish you lived in MA i could help you. i have shit loads of idea's. i can draw up some shit in illustrator and get it over to you.

as far as lca's...blox,skunk2,omni, function etc etc..there are a lot of companies out there..you need to have some amazing selling point and a good price for me not to get the other brands.

front LCA's might be something to look into.

A harness bar or some sort of camera bar would be great.

6 speed shift gate would be awesome too
    be jealous :P

Quote Originally Posted by ImportCustomx View Post
    Yea man, fabricating something that is like the mugen box (the scoop that comes from under the hood) would be awesome. or something that utilizes the front air duct. if you remove the battery and take a peak from there toward the front bumper..youll see a rather large opening that you could use.

either way, i wish you lived in MA i could help you. i have shit loads of idea's. i can draw up some shit in illustrator and get it over to you.

as far as lca's...blox,skunk2,omni, function etc etc..there are a lot of companies out there..you need to have some amazing selling point and a good price for me not to get the other brands.

front LCA's might be something to look into.

A harness bar or some sort of camera bar would be great.

6 speed shift gate would be awesome too
    good ideas...and definitely i have to offer something unique or people will just go with brands they know already...

also good point, the shift gates would come in both 5 and 6 speed, i wouldnt leave out the 6 spd people

ya i wished i lived in mass too, but right now i can take my standing job offer in pawtucket soooo im stuck in ohio...thats ok im building my racecar while im here...

i love my illustrator but id probably just use solidworks since i have a copy of that...i appreciate the offer for help
    my ep is white...

Do it up. Having an EP owner put their time and effort into something they love would be great for the EP community. I think it would be appreciated by many. Specially when our cars are somewhat rare and not everyone carries parts for them.

I think the gated shifter insert would be a grade idea. I think having the exposed shifter arm would give the car more of a racing/raw feel. Specially to those who strip their cars. I'm also liking ImportCustomx's idea on the intake, having a scoop of some kind to help get the air in the engine. Not a whole lot of air for us running the short intakes.

Best of luck in all.

you should resurrect a d3 style xx subframe brace.
    Green Crew #7

Please donate and support EPHatch.com: Greenie Status, License Plate Frames, Banner & Small 'ephatch.com' Decals

Was your WTS/WTT/WTB closed? Please read the following: link 1 & link 2

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information