Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Best drop for stock shocks

I'm looking for a spring that will erase the grap donw to almost nil but not destroy the stock shock in to weeks. So far I have seen that Neuspeed rase springs drop the lowest with like 2.5, and Progress with a little less than 2.0. Does anyone have the either of these springs, or any other brand that will drop at lest 2.0. I have not seen any aftermarket shocks for the ep3 so I want the stockers to last as long as possible thx.

ephatch member
    i've had the eibach sportlines from early april to early november. from november to the present i have had the race springs..what does this mean? well 've been on stock shocks with aftermarket drop for over 8 months and still no shock problems. trust me the roads around here are not all that smooth either. bottom line, the stock shocks most likely will not blow for quite a while after u put aftermarket springs:)

ephatch member

Cool

oh yeah i see its your first post, welcome to the site

Thx for the welcome, I have been here for a couple weeks just never posted. But my last experience was with my 00 ex, I had eibach Sportlines and the shocks blew in about a week or 2. I'm really leaning towards the Neuspeeds cause the price is right and the drop is around what I want..

yeah, Neuspeed's are the way to go

and welcome!

Canuck
    Your two goals are in conflict. Firstly, If you drop the ride as low as you are talking you have to expect to replace the stock shocks at some point in the future. It may be one year away, it may be one month, it may even be five years , but you have to expect it at some point. It's a gamble. Most people expect to replace their shocks when they slam their rides, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

If your main concern is preservation of the stock shocks, I think Eibach Pro-Kits will be easiest on the shocks of any spring. Personally I really like the quality and performance of our stock shocks, these are very good shocks for factory pieces, same as the CTR's. I want to keep them in good operation for as long as possible, so I've gone with the Eibach Pro-kits. Using the Eibach Pro-kits is approx. the same as the CTR springs, so I would expect the stock shocks to last for many years without any problems on these springs, should be very reliable. Mind you this drop may not be big enough for guys who like the slammed look, but it is a big improvement over stock. Factory length shocks will generally work well with any drop under 1.5", once you go over 1.5" drop the life of the shock is diminished. This even holds true for some aftermarket shocks such as KYB AGX. If you go over 1.5" drop you should plan on using some shortened shocks if available.

Say you got coilover with 2" drop, lets say TEIN. Would that affect your stock shock? Thats over the 1.5" margin - I don't really know much about suspension. Also do coilovers help overall handling over just springs? Thanks a bunch! Peace

I already know I will have to replaced the shocks in the future if I go 1.5 or more but I just want to know a guestimate on shock life with basic driving nothing extreme, I like a low look.

ephatch member
    i suggest u go with the race springs-the 1.5 stuff isnt enough. remember our cars are 4x4s stock, takes an aggressive drop to compensate IMO;)

Originally posted by IceD out N CALI
    i suggest u go with the race springs-the 1.5 stuff isnt enough. remember our cars are 4x4s stock, takes an aggressive drop to compensate IMO;)
    I with you. My last car had Eibach Sportlines and when I got my Bilstien I drop the perches down to make it around 2 inch total

Canuck
    realistically you should get 1-2 years out of the stock shocks on such a drop. They may never actually blow, but they will probably become so bouncy after the first year that you will want to replace them. Some guys have reported bouncy rides right from the start after the drop, so I guess it depends on how picky you are about your ride.

ephatch member
    overall i think the stock shocks can take a drop for a year or two maybe more

I just got a 2 inch drop on Sprints.
    I was amazed at how nice the ride is.
    I know if you lower some cars 2 inches they look totally slammed,
    but not the ep Jeep. IMO, 2 inches is perfect.
    I don't scrape on driveways or speedbumps either.
    The sping rates are stiffer. Hitting a pothole feels about
    the same. The only place I noticed a difference is over
    like mutiple ripples in the road. Whereas softer springs soak
    them up better. It is always a tradeoff, but I would not trade
    the improved handling for anything. My car stays nice and flat
    in the corners. Oh yeah, with a 2 inch you will need a rear camber kit for sure!

I have to throw my hat in the ring for Progress again! :)

the drop isn't what kills the shocks, it's the spring rates.

higher spring rates on a mild drop will blow stock shocks faster than a super slammed ride with soft spring rates.

Going too low affects ride quality & load bearing capacity b/c suspension travel is compromised. To combat this, get aftermarket shocks with a shortened rod, which helps re-claim some of the suspension travle that is lost with a really low drop.

But in general, if you go low with a mild increase in spring rate, your stock shocks will do fine. But any springs classified as "race" will shorten the life of stock shocks simply b/c the increase in spring rate is more than what the shock can handle.

personally I'd reccomend the eibach sportlines or h&r sport springs for a decent drop with good compatiblity with stock shocks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information