Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Redline 5w30 is what I use and is one of the most tried and proven oils in the racing world...might be outside most price ranges, it will run you $10 or $11 per qt, but when you're like me who only needs to do 1 oil change every season (every 3 months) its no biggie...

As for your choices, I've only used valvoline out of those, but not in synthetic, though I will say valvoline high mileage is absolutely fantastic for old cars
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

Quote Originally Posted by CivicSier View Post
    I talked to a machanic and he said that is was good stuf. Would you recommend the ultra or platinum?
    Would I have to change the filter to? Or would a dain of the filter be ok? If I have to change it is there a non honda filter that meets or exceeds? The dealership is kind of far from me.
    If this is to replace the oil you put in a few days ago I'd say it's fine to use the same filter, just pull it off and drain it. Though they are so cheap it wouldn't hurt to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony. View Post
    If this is to replace the oil you put in a few days ago I'd say it's fine to use the same filter, just pull it off and drain it. Though they are so cheap it wouldn't hurt to replace it.
    I will probably just replace it since I don't want that Type/weight oil in the system.

What about Valvoline SynPower synthetic, Any good?

Honestly its a strong name brand, it'll all work...until you get into the expensive high performance oils there wont be much of a difference

If you go with say royal purple you'll notice hp and mpg increase, but you'll prolly need to add a qt per 3k miles or less...

Amsoil, redline, motul will do the same thing but they can handle heat a lot better and you wont burn nearly as much...
    Last edited by RedSiBaron; 03-16-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    my ep is white...

- We can talk numbers all you want, but the bullshit stops when the flag drops...

ephatch member
    amsoil 5w-30

ephatch member
    man you start 2 threads asking about the same question?

Quote Originally Posted by udontknowjack View Post
    Kind of the same, but I see what you are saying.
    Sorry about that.
    I just need all the help I can get when it comes to this stuff.
    I used regular oil in every care that I owned, so I am testing and trying to gain as much knowledge and different opinions from people that currently use synthetic oils.

Pennzoil Platinum has great oil analysis reviews on BITOG. Also, these claims of 5w-20 not providing sufficient lubrication or protection are bunk. Go over to Bob's the oil guy and read the FAQ. Very informative and dispels many myths.

ya, seriously, i didnt catch this before, but we dont need two threads from you on oil in the same day, im going to merge the two threads...
    my ep is white...

big block turbo club superchargedk20's Avatar
    I think ur looking to much into this. Most people use synthetic but any of ur choice arent gona make ur engine blow. Heck my boy has a 400whp LSvtec turbo and he runs regular castrol GTX in it lol

Honestly dude if u want good oil Try Joe Gibbs Racing synthetic Hot Rod oil. Ive used it for over a year and its great oil. It doesnt burn and its high in zinc for extra protection for cam where. One of the reasons my mechanic wanted me to switch over to this oil because I had the cam issue with my a3. Its also good if ur car sits in the garage for long periods of time. Ive had my car in the garage for the winter. Just insured it a few days ago. Ive taken it out the last couple of days and she runs beautifully. Im gettin fresh oil put in tomorrow and still going with the joe gibbs hot rod oil.
    Last edited by superchargedk20; 03-16-2011 at 09:45 PM.

I am running 10w30 Mobil 1 Fully synthetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
    Honestly its a strong name brand, it'll all work...until you get into the expensive high performance oils there wont be much of a difference

If you go with say royal purple you'll notice hp and mpg increase, but you'll prolly need to add a qt per 3k miles or less...

Amsoil, redline, motul will do the same thing but they can handle heat a lot better and you wont burn nearly as much...
    Thanks for the great advice! Good to know time to change my oil type now!

ephatch member
    if this is your dd nothing crazy like more than 2-3 track day a year 10 or more autox a year....reg castro GTX 5w 30 is more than good enough..... is like putting 91 oct gas into a car than require only 87 oct....

if this is your dd nothing crazy like more than 2-3 track day a year 10 or more autox a year....reg castro GTX 5w 30 is more than good enough..... is like putting 91 oct gas into a car than require only 87 oct....
    But don't use 5w-20.. Use the 5w-30?..
    Summer is comming up so I think that the 5w-30 would be fine right?

Quote Originally Posted by CivicSier View Post
    But don't use 5w-20.. Use the 5w-30?..
    Summer is comming up so I think that the 5w-30 would be fine right?
    no, you WANT to use 5w30 because there are problems with the 5w20 contributing to cam gauling issues...
    my ep is white...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information