Close

Oil for break-in?

What oil did you use to break in a rebuilt motor? Evan's tuning recommends 10w-30 non-synthetic. I've heard from others that non-synthetic is the way to go as well. Any specific brands you would recommend?

Get a name brand 5w30 non synthetic for your first one or two oil changes.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

I've always used a non-dino oil for the first few miles, but everyone has their methods...

I stole this from a 'well-respected' cat on K20a.org...

"Break in is basically 10-30w regular motor oil, nothing fancy anything cheap. purolator, wix etc oil filter. run the motor for 15min, adjust idle and fuel, make sure its not too rich and too lean, this is very important for the first few minutes of a motors life. you dont want to wash out the rings. after the car is idling and fuel is stoich (14.7) check for oil + coolant + fuel leaks. make sure you have oil pressure first of all!! otherwise something is wrong, turn it off and start checking.

drain oil after 15min. change the oil filter with a new one and pour some more regular oil. start her back up and now bleed the coolant system. once coolant is bled, no leaks and fuel is good you can start doing some driving and adjusting part throttle fuel. you can basically do this for 100-500 miles. in the process you want to downshift when slowing down to load up rings and some half throttle pulls to no more than 4-5k at 50% throttle. the rest is stop and go miles. like i said its up to the discresion of whos doing the breakin, a proper breakin can be done in 50 miles and thats all thats needed. but to anyone else just drive 100-500 city miles.

at 500 miles change the oil to whatever oil of your choice.. synthetic... gold dust oil.. purple passion, whatever.."
    Last edited by POOPTOOTH; 03-27-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

Thanks guys, didn't know break-in should be city driving. I was planning on just taking a long road trip to break it in, I guess I'll just drive it to/from work for a while.

What do you mean by "wash out the rings"?

Thoughts on 10w-30 versus 5w30?

[QUOTE=bchaney;868487] What do you mean by "wash out the rings"?QUOTE]

When the fuel mixture is too rich, the excessive fuel condenses on the cylinder walls, and past the rings where it acts as a solvent and removes the protective oil film barrier on the cylinder walls leading to ring/piston/cylinder failure.
    ALL advice issued with this "Disclaimer"
    Tim "the Toolman" Taylor is my HERO ! ! !

"Labor Unions are Domestic Terrorist orgainizations"

Quote Originally Posted by bchaney View Post
    Thanks guys, didn't know break-in should be city driving. I was planning on just taking a long road trip to break it in, I guess I'll just drive it to/from work for a while.

What do you mean by "wash out the rings"?

Thoughts on 10w-30 versus 5w30?
    Pretty much what Doug said...

However I would DEFINITELY do stop and go over a long trip. You need to seat the rings by loading them up as stated in my post earlier, find some hills, downshift using the motor to slow you down, etc.
    AkA EX FULL-RACE EP3

Thread Information